DFH Superior Custom & Vintage users...HELP!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BENJ-AMG

DFH Superior Custom & Vintage users...HELP!

Post by BENJ-AMG » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:26 pm

I spent the requisite hours installing the 5 double-sided DVD's last night and everything looks to be where it's supposed to be. I followed the manuals instructions to the letter(I thought) and can audition the individual wavs in each folder. But there is not an icon anywhere in my system that launches the program. None. Did anybody else have a similar issue? I was never prompted for a serial number or anything. I copied each folder from each disc and pasted it into my drive. Then I did the requested custom installation prescribed by the manual and everything is right where it's supposed to be except for the launch icon. I'm on PC and it's never said "New Program". Any ideas?

bigwayne56

DKFH Sup /C/V

Post by bigwayne56 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:41 pm

DKFHS Sup is a plugin. You run it from you host that you use to make music. Such as Cubase, SONAR, Tracktion, etc...

Please see your host's manual for inserting plugins or VSTi's into a project.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

BENJ-AMG

Post by BENJ-AMG » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:43 pm

Hmmm. Says in the manual that it's also a standalone program.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:00 am

BENJ-AMG wrote:Hmmm. Says in the manual that it's also a standalone program.
Looking through my manual there is no such remark there. It states clearly that it is a plug-in, and requires a host program. Even says it on the box.

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Yeah, it's a plugin, run it in Live since your posting on a Live forum. I don't think there is a stand alone capability, but if you need tech help there is a very good forum you can get good support from at the toontrack sight. Been there a few times myself. DFHS is the stuff!
Live 8.4.2 / Win 8 Pro 64 bit / Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ / 8 Gb ram
Presonus Firepod / Axiom 49 / PadKontrol
Various guitars, keyboards, sax and friends

BENJ-AMG

Post by BENJ-AMG » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:46 pm

Ok got it working. Ran the Live midi clip in the turorials and the general set up. Got a problem though. I'm forcing everything to cache mode like the manual recommends but if I open a new track and put an instance of "drummer" in a midi track it will not load the samples. Well it won't load them all. It will show the cached amount but stop loading around 7mb. However, if I open the turorial Live PC midi clip and launch it with the kit I want to use I can do it that way. It still takes quite a while but at least it loads. Should I have to do this whenever I want to use DFHS? The Toontrack forums are pretty sparse and not very active.

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:16 pm

DFHS is a multi audio out VST and requires an elaborate setup with 1 midi and multiple audio channels to support each mike for the various samples. If you are in cache mode you will only load those that are required by the tracks that are utilized. Sounds like you have done the standard beginners (of DFHS) mistake of loading Dfhs and sending audio to the master outs. THis only works if you have the stereo mixdown box selected in the opening screen. Otherwise you have to send the audio to the kick drum audio channel and then load a bunch of other audio's and select input from the various mike possibilities. The reason why the sample works is that they have all this worked out. It's a bit confusing because each DAW is different and they should have a tutorial on using an multi audio out VST for each DAW.

good luck, I hope this helps.

BENJ-AMG

Post by BENJ-AMG » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Ah of course. That makes sense. The demo clip has all drums routed to discrete channels. I'm just routing the midi track to master. Perfect. I'll throw it in stereo mode and should fix things. I love the way DFHS sounds and plays but it is a bit confusing, the layout. Thanks for the help Chris.

BTW, do you know how I can assign the samples to a GM drumkit template? I'm really deft at playing drums on the keys with the traditional layout and the way DFH is mapped is making me a little mental.

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:36 pm

when you go to the intialization screen it has a text boxt in the center that defaults to "Superior". That is the DFHS layout with all of the playable nuances. Change that to "GM extended" and it maps almost 1 for 1 with GM. You do have to set up a drum kit with all the proper instraments though. For example I have one titled "Sonar GM"

Good Luck

studios210

Superior

Post by studios210 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:19 pm

There is no stereo mode in Superior. You will always have to use individual audio tracks for each output. So probably make a template for that.

Superior in cached mode will only load the requested samples to RAM. Requested samples means samples triggered by MIDI notes that are actually played (either by a clip, keyboard or... a ddrumset). Thus saving memory from all the other samples available that you are not using.

You can also use EZPlayer Free with Superior (registered users only) in order to have more flexibility with MIDI input and you also get lots and lots of MIDI loops for free.

I find that EZDrummer is a much easier tool for preliminary production and programming or recording, it is not that RAM CPU hungry, offers a stereo mode for easy auditioning. Superior is an amazing mixdown tool and you can route all your EZDrummer clips to it (use EZDrummer MIDI Input from Superior's start up menu) and use all its extra features in a more final stage of your compositions.