WolfMother + Mike Patton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:08 am

I like both Wolfmother AND Faith No More. Mike Patton, not as much.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:45 am

one of my best mates is directly responsible for the existance of the band.

we both agree they sound zeppelinish.. but so what they fookin rock it and theyre our boys.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:13 am

Yeah man, I like that Wolfmother are bringing that kinda music to 14yos.....

However I have already heard the led zep and deep purple albums with
those songs on em. Altho half the song is usually on deep purple and the
other half on led zep.... Still it's a bit easier to listen to then someone
repeating "Woman" over and over in a put-on Robert Plant voice.....

Faith no more was GAY!!!! Until Trey joined anyway. King for a day is one of
the best albums ever I think, every tune is huge and they all go on
together in a constant level of coolness. Loved all Mike's odd stuff, all the
japanese noise etc.... It's real... It's got some attitude and a bunch of art.
John Zorn could well be God. I've got so much really, really wonderful music
off his label. Checkout the Issachar & Zevulum double CD and tell me
Wolfmother rock :-)

-Ben

creepjoint

Post by creepjoint » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:15 pm

IanBuzz

Post by IanBuzz » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:43 pm

Mike Patton is the shizznite!!

boro

Post by boro » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm

sweetjesus wrote:one of my best mates is directly responsible for the existance of the band.

we both agree they sound zeppelinish.. but so what they fookin rock it and theyre our boys.
there's more hendrix influence than anything else. dont forget sabbath, cream, etc.

great idea for a band, I love it. terrible live though.

scoopneck

Post by scoopneck » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:31 pm

Patton might be right about Wolf Mother, but no-one asked him. Plus...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMZQeJ5e ... ed&search=
Macbook Pro 2.7 / 10.13.6
Universal Audio Apollo 8P & Twin Quad
Novation Launchkey 49 MKII
Live Suite 10.1.15 / Max 7.3.5 / Pro Tools 2018.4 / lots of real instruments, mics, preamps, and effects

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:06 pm

I think Patton acquitted himself pretty well against Punky Brewster. I'd probably still be in prison for what I would have done in that same setting back then. I like that they are talking about 'Angel Dust'. There isn't a person in that brightly colored room who bought that album and listened to it more than once - it's just not construction worker music. 'Givitaway, givitaway, givitaway, now...'

As for Wolf Mother, none of my nephew's friends have ever heard of Led Zeppelin so a retread is probably overdue. They are horrendous live but that hasn't mattered since the 50's. Plus, on the next tour all of the other members except for 'the face' will have been replaced with competent, substance free, tour musicians - MI and Berklee have assembly lines that are working 24/7 to provide. Then, comes the double disc concept album...

Sorry, I've been listening to 'The Shaming of the True' again and just felt like slapping someone.

mdb

Post by mdb » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:13 pm

You have to check out Mike Patton in the band "Mr. Bungle" Now that was some wild shit!

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/a ... ff=froogle

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:45 pm

While I appreciate Mr. Bungle's bodily function shock rock on record, live it was a bit jocko for me. I get what they were doing but it was blood in the water for the wrong audience. Every show I went to felt like a football game, I'm sure much to the substantial chagrin of Spruance and Dunn. Patton, however, seems to get off on the ironic audience he draws. I loved the albums but the shows were ultimately disappointing. In spite of the great musicianship and effort, there wasn't much use for the audience at which point you might as well just play the record from CD over the PA system with lasers and smoke machines - Laser Bungle coming to a planetarium near you. It was the same feeling I had at every Nirvana show ever. A part of this was rectified with 'California' which was brilliant and chased off the mosh pit and crowd surfers.

dhilsabeck

Re: WolfMother + Mike Patton

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:02 pm

mike patton is doing a project with amon tobin?

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Yeah. Patton is trying to secure Tobin's next project (referred to by Amon as a 'drum record') for his Ipecac label according to the Amon Tobin interview in FutureMusic 186.

mdb

Post by mdb » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Nogi wrote:While I appreciate Mr. Bungle's bodily function shock rock on record, live it was a bit jocko for me. I get what they were doing but it was blood in the water for the wrong audience. Every show I went to felt like a football game, I'm sure much to the substantial chagrin of Spruance and Dunn. Patton, however, seems to get off on the ironic audience he draws. I loved the albums but the shows were ultimately disappointing. In spite of the great musicianship and effort, there wasn't much use for the audience at which point you might as well just play the record from CD over the PA system with lasers and smoke machines - Laser Bungle coming to a planetarium near you. It was the same feeling I had at every Nirvana show ever. A part of this was rectified with 'California' which was brilliant and chased off the mosh pit and crowd surfers.
Definitely an acquired taste of music. Its so fuckin out there that you cant stop listening to it. But you also got to remember the time's At 1991, there wasn't even anything remotely like this. So they get a 100% for originality. I saw one of there shows at... what i believe was called "The stone" in San Fran. Totally bizarre show...

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Nogi wrote:Yeah. Patton is trying to secure Tobin's next project (referred to by Amon as a 'drum record') for his Ipecac label according to the Amon Tobin interview in FutureMusic 186.

cheers, nogi. anyone got a link (already checked...)