Why are Live users music mostly a bit weird??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Why are Live users music mostly a bit weird??

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:39 pm

Seriously, all I seem to hear are users who write weird experimental stuff. Nothing wrong with that and I like experimental, but hell it would be nice to hear someone actually write a normal song like a Chemical Brothers, underworld, BT Crystal Method. fatboyslim, moby etc.

The guy Dave hill that has written the new Live book also does weird music and its not very good to be honest. I mean I could easily do what hes doing. His music is again experimental. So if the guy that wrote the book on Live is doing basic experimental stuff then who is doing real songs with real arrangements (I dont mean unknown dudes) not that I had heard of Dave Hill anyway come to think of it

When I compose in Live I can only get so far and then I hit a stumbling block of some sorts. I dont know what it is, but it only happens in live. i simply cant get a track properly finished with all the nuances thats needed at times. A track is always missing that extra 10% which is definitely the most important

The really great thing about live is the speed in which I can get ideas. In half an hour I nearly have all the elements I need to arrange the song, but then I hit that stumbling block.,.,Something is missing!! I CANT GET THEH SONG FINISHED

If I wrote experimental music, I know I could finish them because theres not much to it at all.

If I played in a band with real instruments I could happily finish a track.. I know I could.

So, is live really aimed at experimentalists

brautigan

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:57 pm

i think live lends itself to experimentation and therefore inovation, and that's why it attracts very many experimentalists, but it also works quite well as a DAW, or for more "traditional" electronic styles

i've been really inspired lately by the chemical brother's "surrender" album and i'm working on some tracks in that vein.

last night i finished up a track featuring finger picking acoustic guitar and a 4 on the floor drum beat

my roomate is working on a folk album done entirely in live. he works on a Dell (yuck!) and i on a mac and we toss the songs back forth over the wireless for collaboration. it's beautiful.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:58 pm

i think many of the morr music bands are using live. also check out the artists section on this site

jho

Re: Why are Live users music mostly a bit weird??

Post by jho » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:05 pm

Anonymous wrote:Seriously....it would be nice to hear someone actually write a normal song like a Chemical Brothers, underworld, BT Crystal Method. fatboyslim, moby etc.
8O Normal ?? :roll:

I'm using it for mainstream, rock, prog, dance remixes, sample playback, hip hop, etc. Normal stuff...

kgmonarch

Post by kgmonarch » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:28 pm

I use it almost exclusively for club/us garage/prog/french house remixes. Unfortunately all my stuff uses copyrighted vocals so I gotta keep all that work under a rock.

rundll

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:36 pm

I use it for drumnbass/electronica/nu skool breaks. Is that normal?
I feel funny.

http://www.janswer.plus.com/ASAP/06%20S ... 20mix).mp3

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:45 pm

I call my style drum'n'vocals, or alternatively 'ethnic flavoured bluesfolkskahophousestep', though the ethnic flavours are still quite hidden. It's like old fashioned songs, but with electronic/dance influences to the music and arrangements. I don't know if it's weird. Some say it is, some say it isn't.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Re: rundll

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:I use it for drumnbass/electronica/nu skool breaks. Is that normal?
I feel funny.

Yeh, OK not bad but, it wasnt quite 'There' as a DNB tune though was it. No offence, but the drum sound was wrong but mostly it lacked that extra 10% I was talking about. Where are those little touches that the major artists put in their tracks?

Know what I mean

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:01 am

noisetonepause wrote:I call my style drum'n'vocals, or alternatively 'ethnic flavoured bluesfolkskahophousestep', though the ethnic flavours are still quite hidden. It's like old fashioned songs, but with electronic/dance influences to the music and arrangements. I don't know if it's weird. Some say it is, some say it isn't.

-Paws
Yep, its weird. again, no offence but this again is an example of what I mostly hear Live users doing.

Thats simply basic stripped down, no frills music that could be done on any DAW. With Live I reckon it just means its easier for your to fo more.

Next!

Rx

Post by Rx » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:14 am

Anonymous wrote:The really great thing about live is the speed in which I can get ideas. In half an hour I nearly have all the elements I need to arrange the song, but then I hit that stumbling block.,.,Something is missing!! I CANT GET THEH SONG FINISHED

If I wrote experimental music, I know I could finish them because theres not much to it at all.
not being able to get a song finished means you haven't gotten a feel for writing music yet. this is a problem with YOU - not Live. all this means is that you need to keep making music and you will eventually get over the hump.
Anonymous wrote:If I played in a band with real instruments I could happily finish a track.. I know I could.
if you were in a band, i bet somebody else would finish the track after you gave a couple of ideas. keep in mind that artists never blame their tools.

btw - i write songs that have a beginning, middle and end - is that real? and as for the 'extra 10%' - it's a BIG secret. the people making money don't tell us poor people how to do it.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

muhafunka not logged in

Post by muhafunka not logged in » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:22 am

Wow, what's wrong with 'weird'? What does 'normal' even mean? When I was .....younger, 'normal' was a dirty word, we'd have been ashamed to make 'normal', conservative music. Also, Chemical Bros, Moby, U'world...I started listening to those guys when they all first started putting stuff out it was definitely 'weird', experimental, whatever you want to call it. All of the above have become more melodic/song-based over the course of their careers, but for many musicians this is seen as progress in their understanding of music. Don't forget too that all those artists also now command larger audiences and larger commercial responsibilities.
There is of course dirty uncle Aphex...he just doesn't give a damn what you think and we should give great thanks for that. I'm with him.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:33 am

Anonymous wrote: I CANT GET THEH SONG FINISHED

If I played in a band with real instruments I could happily finish a track.. I know I could.
LOL, no offense but who are you kidding? 'Not much to it at all'...then go and do it, do it better than all the others, travel the world, make some money. As for 'real instruments' and 'I know I could'...again, no offense, but are you really as naive as you sound? Back to work there ace!!

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:40 am

I dunno, I think most of the stuff I do in Live is pretty mainstream, as far as electronic music goes. I did a DJ set in Live that is pretty normal. Ehh, I've been promoting the same set for a while without telling anyone I did it in Live. Well, I did it in Live. Enjoy.
I am the bumpitron.

rundll

Re: rundll

Post by rundll » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:46 am

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I use it for drumnbass/electronica/nu skool breaks. Is that normal?
I feel funny.

Yeh, OK not bad but, it wasnt quite 'There' as a DNB tune though was it. No offence, but the drum sound was wrong but mostly it lacked that extra 10% I was talking about. Where are those little touches that the major artists put in their tracks?

Know what I mean

hmm didn;t say this was DnB. It's more Nu Skool Breaks. shit who cares it's got some drums and some bass. worp worp.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:49 am

I have to stick up for Dave Hill at this point. He has come a long way since the heady heights of playing guitar with Slade. It's good to see him getting stuck into nodern music making methods.

I hope you'll forgive me Dave but people really should know your credentials... http://www.sladealive.theredtoolbox.com/davehill