Why are Live users music mostly a bit weird??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:04 pm

Art that looks like very little effort went into it can deceive the viewer. "Hey, anyone can make a bed look disheveled."

The harsh reality is that making something that both catches attention and imparts meaning is a very, very difficult thing to do.

Real Art is hard work. Regardless of medium, the artist is constantly making decisions that affect the end result in critical ways.

With Live, for instance, what samples do you use? Stereo or mono? Do you stretch or not? If so, how much? What other samples should be thrown in and in what pattern? What about effects?

It's easy enough to play endless loops or scratch a bit of vinyl and call yourself a professional DJ these days. Making something fresh is *hard*.

Anyone who can figure out how to get paid for creativity is okay in my book.

Experimental art should challenge. Who the hell wants to listen to Britney Spears over and over again?

Just because I might not "get it" doesn't mean an artwork doesn't mean something to somebody. (It just happens I'm not the one in this case who has $50K to hand over to the lucky winner.)

-Alex

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:03 pm

Kasimir Malevich, Black Square, 1915.

Malevich believed the essense of the art experience was the perception and effect of color. Ha said the feeling this composition evoked was the essense of art. This painting founded the Russin suprematist movement, a painting style utilizing basic forms and pure color rejecting both utilitarian function and pictoral representation. Many people may reject it, or not understand it but this painting is priceless, and the influences of the suprematist movement are still felt today.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:32 pm

I love Malevitj. He's brilliant.

Just like everything is music (try listening to trains or a busy street... or a forest... or John Cage sitting but not touching his piano on Times square in New York), everything is art (as in 'visually pleasing or distressing or touching').

A bed that has just been slept in. Hm. Are you going to tell me that image doesn't say a thousand or more words? That it doesn't install emotions in you? Just cos the geezer hasn't worked for donkey's years taming his possible lack of manual dexterity doesn't mean that he's not being artistic. He's still making decisions and still shaping something out of nothing.

I really don't get this fixation on motor skills and muscle memory. "Look I've played piano since I was three years old (hence I must be brilliant)". So fucking what you've practised. Play and let me decide if you're good or not.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:15 pm

noisetonepause wrote:I love Malevitj. He's brilliant.

A bed that has just been slept in. Hm. Are you going to tell me that image doesn't say a thousand or more words? That it doesn't install emotions in you? Just cos the geezer hasn't worked for donkey's years taming his possible lack of manual dexterity doesn't mean that he's not being artistic. He's still making decisions and still shaping something out of nothing.

-Paws
Aye but its shite ! Stroll on.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:16 pm

Alex Reynolds wrote:Art that looks like very little effort went into it can deceive the viewer. "Hey, anyone can make a bed look disheveled."

The harsh reality is that making something that both catches attention and imparts meaning is a very, very difficult thing to do.

Real Art is hard work. Regardless of medium, the artist is constantly making decisions that affect the end result in critical ways.

With Live, for instance, what samples do you use? Stereo or mono? Do you stretch or not? If so, how much? What other samples should be thrown in and in what pattern? What about effects?

It's easy enough to play endless loops or scratch a bit of vinyl and call yourself a professional DJ these days. Making something fresh is *hard*.

Anyone who can figure out how to get paid for creativity is okay in my book.

Experimental art should challenge. Who the hell wants to listen to Britney Spears over and over again?

Just because I might not "get it" doesn't mean an artwork doesn't mean something to somebody. (It just happens I'm not the one in this case who has $50K to hand over to the lucky winner.)

-Alex
To introspective and vague

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:19 pm

claudek wrote:May I ask what is normal means?..Normal is weird to me..
Weird are the elite, advanced, open minded, creative and intelligent..Normal=boring usually..Open your mind..Live is just that
software for weirdos..
Sieg Heil. We are dee Elite !

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:20 pm

Anonymous wrote:
claudek wrote: Weird are the elite.

Theres a 50.000 pound prize every year in London given to a new up and coming artist!!

A few years ago an unknown artists exhibit was a normal double bed made to look like it had just been slept in (meaning the covers were drawn back)

The artist one the prize of 50,000

Art???

another one was a binliner split open with rubbish hanging out. he also won 50,000

These guys couldnt paint a picture if their life depended on it.

No one is going to tell me a bin liner full of rubbish is ART

And neither is anyone going to tell me that 95% of the so called experimental stuff going around is ART.

Im simply not that stupid

Then again theres always someone who will buy it in the name of cool

:!:
Correct ! Kings new clothes and that

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:53 pm

jamief wrote:To introspective and vague
Your response or mine?

-Alex

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:29 am

Whagwan wit tha, blue? ain't anybody ever told what the meaning of debate is? I know that even if the dumbest man alive says that the sun shines, it won't stop shining (think about that one, m8 ), but you could at least be a little more specific and maybe adress our points instead of just dismissing them with one-liners.

'aye but it's shite' is simply your opinion, meaning you've the artwork as such, but merely what you think of it. Hohum. We can do the whole subjectivity/objectivity debate if you insist, but I doubt anything constructive will come from it. So let's not.

Anyways, happy new year and make sure there's a few kegs of Highland Park left for export, yeah?

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:50 am

noisetonepause wrote:Whagwan wit tha, blue? ain't anybody ever told what the meaning of debate is? I know that even if the dumbest man alive says that the sun shines, it won't stop shining (think about that one, m8 ), but you could at least be a little more specific and maybe adress our points instead of just dismissing them with one-liners.

'aye but it's shite' is simply your opinion, meaning you've the artwork as such, but merely what you think of it. Hohum. We can do the whole subjectivity/objectivity debate if you insist, but I doubt anything constructive will come from it. So let's not.

Anyways, happy new year and make sure there's a few kegs of Highland Park left for export, yeah?

-Paws
No need for a huge debate when its plainly obviously Pure shite !
Emperors new clothes and all that.

Next please !

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:50 am

Alex Reynolds wrote:
jamief wrote:To introspective and vague
Your response or mine?

-Alex
yes :)

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:56 am

Oi, you's doing it again! :)

The thing with the bed ain't shite... IMHO!!

-Paws

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:03 am

noisetonepause wrote:Oi, you's doing it again! :)

The thing with the bed ain't shite... IMHO!!

-Paws
I,m not suprised you dont think its shite.
You need it u see
You need to wake up ! Get that brain of yours into gear

lol :lol: :lol: :roll:

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:13 am

smutek wrote:Kasimir Malevich, Black Square, 1915.

Malevich believed the essense of the art experience was the perception and effect of color. Ha said the feeling this composition evoked was the essense of art. This painting founded the Russin suprematist movement, a painting style utilizing basic forms and pure color rejecting both utilitarian function and pictoral representation. Many people may reject it, or not understand it but this painting is priceless, and the influences of the suprematist movement are still felt today.
True this is an important aspect of any art weather it be music or visual art the preception of effect and colour.
But this does nothing for me
An that bed is plainly put Shite !

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 am

Yep. That's the other cool thing about "art". Everyone is inherently entitled to an opinion. It has it's own built in constitution.

One mans art can be another mans humour. That's usually where the true "shite" is

Bringing up kids is art as far as I'm concerned. Good parent are some of the most amazing artists put on this earth with theor creations.

Getting your point across to pontificating dickheads on an internet-based forum could also be considered art maybe as well.

On that note...