Ableton and Cycling '74 to Codevelop New Products

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:12 pm

corygilbert wrote:lets keep in mind that ableton has been "partners" with M-Audio in the past.
And what did that result in? A really bitching, integrated, live controller that interfaced seamlessly with live?
No, it resulted in Live Lite versions included in every crappy m-audio controller box
(which, granted was great for anyone who got into live because of one)
I'm not trying to be negative, I would LOVE for this to result in some sort of hybrid integration between the two products. And i'm sure on some level it will, but i'll hold my speculation till we see if this is anything more than a business relationship.
partnership with m-audio seemed to be more about the distribution than the product side of their business. It was simply a necessary evil IMO.
While, in the case of this partnership, I think it is much more about the products and the companies being mutually compatible. It's not necessary, more 'fun'.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:12 pm

corygilbert wrote:lets keep in mind that ableton has been "partners" with M-Audio in the past.
And what did that result in? A really bitching, integrated, live controller that interfaced seamlessly with live?
No, it resulted in Live Lite versions included in every crappy m-audio controller box
(which, granted was great for anyone who got into live because of one)
I'm not trying to be negative, I would LOVE for this to result in some sort of hybrid integration between the two products. And i'm sure on some level it will, but i'll hold my speculation till we see if this is anything more than a business relationship.
the m-audio partnership was obviously down to marketing...like you say, live lite versions bundled with *shitty m-audio hardware

this partnership seems conceptual to me, as in tools to use. An ableton live object would be fucking -sweet- ....i mentioned a couple of times in the past how a vst version of ableton live would be sweet, specifically for hosting in plogue bidule or maxmsp etc........so an ableton live object would be dope....

like the pic Poster posted, depicting an ableton object wired to a cycling object ...just a banner, but it reminded me of the idea...

*subject to debate
spreader of butter

stew

Post by stew » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:31 pm

This is awesome news!
Now if only I had the talent to actually produce something meaningful with the new toys we are about to receive.

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:55 pm

apalomba wrote: Blasphemy you say, I am afraid it is the truth. NI has lost its way, with
Kore and Kontrol and blah blah blah. Reaktor has really suffered and
I feel is slowly loosing its cutting edge. I hope NI has something
significant to reveal at Musikmesse so that I may be proven wrong.
just curious.. but what the eff is wrong with reaktor? NI does leave a funny taste in my mouth with kore and all the rest of their *yawn* updates.. but reaktor? its more stable than ever. uses less CPU than ever. core was a fantastic step in the evolution of reaktor. what about reaktor has 'suffered' in version 5?

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:09 pm

Maybe this represents the fragmenting of Live a little, where the expanding user base & different knowledge/interest levels of the users can finally get balanced out.

All those cats who never learned session view & want Live to turn into Pro Tools/DP/Logic/Cubase can get what they want in the standard boxed version of Live you find at Guitar Center.

The rest of us can stay crazy & keep Live evolving our way, whatever that might be.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:17 pm

John Sweet wrote:Maybe this represents the fragmenting of Live a little, where the expanding user base & different knowledge/interest levels of the users can finally get balanced out.

All those cats who never learned session view & want Live to turn into Pro Tools/DP/Logic/Cubase can get what they want in the standard boxed version of Live you find at Guitar Center.

The rest of us can stay crazy & keep Live evolving our way, whatever that might be.
exactly..
and it's a pretty smart move too;
we get the so wanted modularity without having them to change much of the current interface..
So for the people that can't be bothered with all the fancy routing stuff Live stays pretty much the same..
The mod heads can go crazy and change Live's functionality at will..

But I guess we still have to wait and see what this marriage exactly means..

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:18 pm

I hope better customization is what it means :)

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:45 am

What exactly is a "strategic partnership"?

Have the two companies merged to become one?.. did one *buy out* the other?.. will they retain seperate identities but team up to produce a "joint" product in addition to their otherwise seperate product lines?... or will they just get together for Christmas lunch once a year? :|
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

socketghost

Post by socketghost » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:02 am

This is certainly fantastic news. I use Live and Max together all the time. This weekend I'm doing an AV performance using my standard setup - Live on one laptop with a bunch of pluggo-made plugins sending OSC messages to a second laptop running a big old Jitter patch - basically a kind of 'video Live'. Works a dream for beautifully synced sound and vision. This time for added complication I've got them both networked to a Lemur which is talking to both of them. Sweet!

Anyway... My guess is that this new partnership will lead to something somewhere between the tokenistic M-Audio partnership and a total mindmeld into one application. I'd lay odds that Max will continue to exist (it's been around for 20-odd years in one form or another, fer fecks sake!) and Live will continue to exist. But hopefully there will be some new and exciting ways to use them together - can't wait!

And yeah - Abletons - get on the OSC bandwagon. SO much better than MIDI!

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:11 am

big news

evoid

Post by evoid » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:45 am

funtastic!
http://www.ruigato.info
Live Suite 8b16
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz / 4 Gig RAM / 7200 rpm - Quad Q6600 / 8 Gig RAM - OsX 10.5.6
RME Fireface 400 - Jazzmutant Lemur - Nord Modular - Mercurial STC 1000
Reaktor 4 - Reason - Max/MSP 5.0.6

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:02 am

headquest wrote:What exactly is a "strategic partnership"?

Have the two companies merged to become one?.. did one *buy out* the other?.. will they retain seperate identities but team up to produce a "joint" product in addition to their otherwise seperate product lines?... or will they just get together for Christmas lunch once a year? :|
peter kirn on createdigitalmusic wrote: I’ve confirmed with Ableton what this announcement is not (before they get flooded with questions):

1. It’s not a product announcement (yet). There’s no announcement of a product or a timeframe. Yes, there is something coming — but there aren’t any imminent details. (Hey, this stuff takes time to develop.)

2. It’s not a merger or acquisition. There will be no Ableton ‘74 or Cyclington. Or Ablax/MiveSP/Jitterton. No one is buying anyone. Cycling ‘74 and Ableton are not becoming “A Division of Avid.”

3. Live was never “developed in Max/MSP.” Live was (and is) often prototyped in Max. You can also prototype applications in PowerPoint or Flash. Developing an application is a different matter altogether. Starting with Live 1.0, Live became a separate, compiled application. But as for other cooperation, we’ll just have to wait.
it's xmas lunch and reciprocal parking spaces (for the moment)

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:10 am

I think I have to agree with corygilbert and see this
partnership more like the one with m-audio. I guess
there will be different Ableton/Cycling bundles and
perhaps something like Operator/Sampler, a fully
integrated plug-in programmed by Cycling using the
Ableton technology. Of course you have to pay for that
seperately (like Operator and Sampler) again.
I don´t see any Cycling technology implemented in
Live 7...

I´d love to be proven wrong...
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:21 am

Coupe70 wrote:I think I have to agree with corygilbert and see this
partnership more like the one with m-audio. I guess
there will be different Ableton/Cycling bundles and
perhaps something like Operator/Sampler, a fully
integrated plug-in programmed by Cycling using the
Ableton technology. Of course you have to pay for that
seperately (like Operator and Sampler) again.
I don´t see any Cycling technology implemented in
Live 7...

I´d love to be proven wrong...
the m-audio partnership was mainly because of distributional reasons..
cycling is not a compagny that would directly come to mind for this..

if both technologies won't be exchanged in some way there's no need for bundling..

I really think that parts of both apps will become available for each other..
max is probably going to provide Live' modularity..
Last edited by Poster on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:23 am

This is BEAUTIFUL news! Just noticed it a minute ago.

Hoping all the best for this new alliance :D !