OT - Izotope's PhatMatik Pro...sweet!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChiDJ

OT - Izotope's PhatMatik Pro...sweet!

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Just wanted to share some joy -

If any of you are familer with Recycle, this prog. Is similar with quite a few nice additions. It's from the Glaresoft guys that made iDrum, (which I also love)

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/phatmatik/

It's Basically a beat slicer / sampler / midi loop creator. Just got it yesterday. It is a breeze to work with and speeds up my work flow dramatically.

1) Take a loop

2) It auto-slices at the transients, (16th, 32nds etc.)

3) spreads each hit across your keyboard

4) let's you drag the midi file right into your DAW so you can tweak there.

5) you can record just the hits you want out of the loop via MIDI.

6) plays at any speed without warping or changing pitch

7) Reverse, pitch, distort, filter, loop individual slices

I know most of this can be done in LIVE, but this program does it with ease and without warping which means you can play any loop at any speed without warp artifacts. It runs as a plug with 16 channels per instance.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

defmut

Post by defmut » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:57 pm

Nice! I was going to get Lucifier until Steve took it off the shelf. Thanks for your opinion. I'll try out the demo.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:20 pm

phatmatik is dope.
its a shame they dont put out an SDK, propellorheads provide an SDK for recycle and thats why you get lots of other software that works with REX files and not phat-files.

its a shame...
spreader of butter

dstole

Post by dstole » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:19 pm

Tod, are you using a mAc or PC?
If Mac, is it a older or newer Intel one?

If intel, are you able to drag and drop the Midi into Live?
What a round about way of saying I am having trouble dragging and dropping.
Titanium 1ghz, 1GB Ram - Motu 828 MKII - UC33 - Oxygen 8 - Reason - Live

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:52 pm

I was thinking about getting Guru because it has a slicer, as well as other things I want. Does anybody on here use Guru or know how the slicer compares? Phatmatik seems great but compared to Guru seems like one a trick pony. I'm aware of the $100 price difference. Thoughts?

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:56 pm

phatmatik does rule but I have found some bugs with it in live.

If you map certain knobs on a controller to certain controls in phatmatik when using lives mapping stuff some of them are switched up.

Also there is no way to get access it seems to individual slice controls via midi controller, just the master knobs.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Phatmatik Pro is by far my favourite vsti plugin... it's super-grossly quick to work with - drag and drop, hit slice, play midi.

Yes, Guru does more stuff. But hell, a lot of high-end sampling vstis have slicing too, that doesn't make them *good* slicers. Phatmatik is.

These days I load it into maxMSP and trigger the slices from a custom sequencer. Load-time is fast, overhead low.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:40 pm

I downloaded the demo a couple months ago during a demo downloading frenzy and at the time had no idea what slicing was and I couldn't figure out what the Hell it did. Once I figured out the concept the demo expired. Damnit.

So next question. Anybody know of a US retailer or US web based retailer that sells this? It seems like it is only available from their site (last I checked) and that means you pay a lot more.

beale

Post by beale » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 pm

In the last few months I've been dropping softsynths and have gone back to primarily real and virtual analog hardware synths. However, there are a few bits of software I won't do without, one of the is definately Phatmatik Pro. The others are:

Sculpture
Vanguard
QuadraSID
Crystal

I have a MonoMachine that has a SID synth replicated inside but it doesn't do that lofi splat like QuadraSID does.
"It sounded better broken"

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:52 pm

Machinate wrote:Phatmatik Pro is by far my favourite vsti plugin... it's super-grossly quick to work with - drag and drop, hit slice, play midi.

Yes, Guru does more stuff. But hell, a lot of high-end sampling vstis have slicing too, that doesn't make them *good* slicers. Phatmatik is.

These days I load it into maxMSP and trigger the slices from a custom sequencer. Load-time is fast, overhead low.
I NEVER GOT DRAG AND DROP TO WORK!!!! maybe thats why I sold it to you... son of a b****
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:31 pm

Wow. Since when did Izotope own Phatmatik Pro??? News to me.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:21 am

I think it's been a bit over a year now. maybe more.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:28 am

Machinate, can you tell me what Phatmatik does or does better that guru doesn't? I'm just curious cause I don't have either at this point.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:56 am

LiveSlice is pretty dope, minus the rex stuff i like it over phatmatik, of course i've got phat too though
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:06 am

I'm a huge fan of GURU, but I must say, in the version I have the slicing sux!!!!!!! And I'm afraid to upgrade because I have so many songs written with it.

Fuck it I'm uprgading.