Korg Zero8 could it be the ultimate controller for live

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
robin

Post by robin » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:16 pm

It's a pretty nice mixer/controller but if this isn't the house mixer where you go to play you'll have to lug this around too. Not that convenient if you ask me.

All these new mixer/controller hybrids face this problem (Ecler Evo5, Xone 3D etc etc).

D K

Re: no worries

Post by D K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:06 pm

coldrush wrote:hi bragi0, no worries i'll post my thoughts about it in action as soon as it arrives.

C
please do...i'm really curious how this thing works...please post latency!
looks like what's been missing, a simple midi mixing desk
(although they've added a few bells and whistles)
hopefully the fw/interface is solid...
better be for almost 2k!

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Looks cool, but pricey. And no transport controls? I also wish the Xfader were in the middle rather than on the right.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:48 pm

call me old fashioned but that shit looks kind of lame, i'm interested myself
for in the studio but damn for Live I'd almost rather see a laptop performance.
is that what's all come down to these days muting and unmuting tracks, is the 'turn the knob move' going to be the 'guitar wanker movement' of the next millineum?
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

DJThis

Post by DJThis » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:40 pm

i would be tripping and flooring on those red/blue lights....
Those two guys suck pretty bad thinking they are Sasha and Digweed....
Even my grandma does better.

coldrush

My thoughts and views.

Post by coldrush » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:59 pm

In response to stale bread, i'm thinking that having eight tracks setup in ableton all running through the zero8, using ableton to be my record player and using the onboard effects, chaos pad, eq, faders, and midi to be my mixer, the only hands on part of djing i miss is the mixer side, after 8.5 years of djing i have grown tired of beat matching and combating crappy decks and keeping them in time, and don't even get me started on needle jumps, so my man i'm doing something that i said within the last couple of years i would never do, i have sold all my vinyl and decks, and i'm looking to the future of inspiration and it's great my record bag now fits into my pocket, i can buy 5 tunes for the price of one vinyl, i can instantly bounce my own productions and take them for testing, my back feels better for not having to bend over the bloody decks cause some arse built the desk to low. 'turn the knob move' i think you're probably right, but, i've seen people djing with various forms of digital dj gear and trust me, they still are shit, djing is an art (but no where near the producer level) if you are creative with your djing you will be good no matter what format you choose be it vinyl or the next big thing.

Cheers, and here is to the future!

stale bread

Re: My thoughts and views.

Post by stale bread » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:19 pm

coldrush wrote: if you are creative with your djing you will be good no matter what format you choose be it vinyl or the next big thing.
I totally agree with that sentiment, and as a tool in the studio I get jazzed about these types of products, but I'm definitely comming to a crossroads about these types of performances. it's like we went from playing music to playing tracks to playing efx/mutes, what's next pretty soon we'll be just playing the power button on machines. Imagine those guys next year standing next to each other flipping the power button on an off and not even touching the knobs anymore because we've progressed into the future and twisting knobs is passe :lol:

i know. i'm silly.

coldrush

Power buttons he he

Post by coldrush » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:16 pm

Playing power buttons he he now that would be soul destroying to watch, i've seen quite a lot of comments on digital djing and quite a mixed bag of thoughts, the most common i have found are slagging Sasha about using Ableton and how bad it is, i have liked Sasha for a very long time (Renaissance mix collection 1&2 are still my favourite cds to this day) i have seen him pull off some incredible mixes using vinyl, cd, ableton which in my mind tells me that no matter what he is a very good dj, i think that we have reached about as far as technology should go and here it should stay we have a vast array of cool products at our disposal, some need refinement, but one thing is for sure the only program for me is Ableton Live, i don't get all this timecode vinyl crap, if you need to scratch and want that vinyl feel, use vinyl it's all about picking the right tool for the job, not replacing it for the sake of it.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:35 pm

The demo for any box is this impressive -- nothing qualitatively new here.

Cool, but don't get seduced by blinking lights and cool camera angles...

rs

D K

Post by D K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:36 pm

tech gone far enough?
not until we have touchscreen control on the laptop itself!
i'm really interested in this korg though, having the control surface mirror
the screen will make playing instruments while using live alot easier for me...
plus i'm old school, i like having a console....this korg could mean alot less kit to lug around with having the fw interface and some fx processing built in...

coldrush

About demo videos

Post by coldrush » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi ryansupak, i have held off for about a year or so now, i have even designed my own controller, i was going to use the midibox format, lights don't really interest me, what does is the total solution this offers, Firewire audio, chaos pad type effects, send effects, channel effects, master channel effects, selectable eq types for each channel, midi control (everything can be assigned) i nearly bought a pioneer djm800, but as far as i can see this is a better solution for me and a little cheaper and Korg is a very good name to trust.

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:20 pm

no keys. ;)
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

coldrush

No keys

Post by coldrush » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:25 pm

No keys, how ignorant of me, since i slogged my arse off and bought a Virus TI, i always over look this detail, i should amend the subject to "could be the best half finished controller"

I'm just off to slap myself with a half eaten fish finger now!
Last edited by coldrush on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:28 pm

how much is the zero

coldrush

Price

Post by coldrush » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:05 pm

I paid 1100 uk pounds for mine, i think i noticed someone say about $2000