Moving to NYC sometime this summer...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Moving to NYC sometime this summer...

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:22 pm

Going to be attending NYU this Fall so gotta get my move on.

Now comes the dreadful part... looking for a place to live.

there's a chance that I might just score some on-campus apartments (no dorms of course. Grad student/upper classman apartments for privacy and convenience), but the waitlists are usually nasty so the possibility of finding something like that is very slight. So I might as well start looking for a few places to rent/share just in case.

Havent been to NYC in AGES so I really wasn't sure where to start looking. Any New Yorkers here that might give me some pointers? Good places to find apartments/studios/rooms with reasonable rent relatively close to the NYU area (Village)? Any places I should probably avoid?

Been looking at a few classifieds on a few sites (including craigslist) but it's been an intimidating experience so far. :(

Psyched about the move though :)

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:26 pm

What program are you attending at NYU?

Living in the city is pricey... check out Brooklyn, which is still pricey. But living in park slope, carroll gardens etc. is cheaper and if you live near a subway stop you can be on "campus" in less than 30 minutes.

or williamsburg... if they haven't bulldozed the whole area to make room for high rise luxury condos yet.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:46 pm

Definately check out Craigslist, i know tons of people who find their rooms there, just check out the prices and compare, most people have had pretty good experiences there. also, the villagevoice.com has some rooms and stuff there.
as bigbad said manhatan is pretty pricey these days - even for the white collar folk, so BK might be a more cost efficient option. One thing, There are a lot of different vibes here ( Brooklyn ), if you catch my drift. So definately check out the area before you move in and make sure its a place you'd like to be living in.

Peace,
Mike

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:25 pm

Mike, I didn't know you were in Brooklyn! We should hang out next time I'm in town.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm in Carroll Gardens and yes Brooklyn is insane right now as well. At least you get a little space for your insanity however.

If you can stomach the thought you might look for a roomate/share type thing on Craigslist. Its pretty common here. My wife works with a lot of interns, mainly European, and a lot of them end up renting a room or sharing a space.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

TeachONE

Post by TeachONE » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:57 pm

What's up man.... NYC is daunting for someone from out of town, but it all really depends on what your definition of reasonable is. If your lookin for a studio/one bedroom apartment the best piece of advice I can give seems to be the opposite of what others have said so far in terms of Brooklyn... But if you want to stay in Manhattan the further you go north the cheaper it will be... Also, if you want really low priced, there are parts of the Bronx that are nither expensive, nor too scary. But your commute will be longer...

Peace
Check out my website at http://www.projectopus.com/teachone/

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:40 am

Craigslist is a good idea. I would seriously consider not living anywhere in manhattan. It is grossly overpriced. LIC, Astoria, Carol Gardens, Park Slope, Flatbush. They are all fine. The commute is not a big deal at all. Besides, you can get more reading in and be less inclined to attend every distraction at the drop of a hat. Good luck.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:21 am

lived in astoria for a year, and the location, pricing, and local stores, are all worth it. Keep it higher on your list of places, and you won't regret it. With the right timing, you can be at NYU in 20-30min.
The Talented Mr Stinky.

Live Racks Abe-Wiki

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:49 pm

I grew up in Astoria and still have a lot of family there. It is very very convenient, and it has a very interesting Greek personality :)

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:50 pm

bigbad, I'm going to be doing the Master's in Music Technology program.

thanks for the help guys. I've started to look at some of the places you've suggested :)

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:18 pm

yeah it all depends on what you want around you when you leave your apt.

i also have to say alot of it is alot of a self fulfilling image thing at this point to. so many artists/musicians wanted to move to williamsburg and brooklyn that it became the cool place to be to the point where MOSt artists/musicians arent really there anymore.

dont get me wrong- i love Brooklyn- Mom's was born and raised there, i've lived there, there are great apartments and amazing people. if it wasnt part of NYC it would be the second biggest city in the country. its got alot going for it- but then i also saw Williamsburg when it was a solely Puerto Rican neighborhood, 2 bedroom apts. rented for under $1000 and it didn't look like a college town with Manhattan views. if you can get a good deal its awesome but i see alot of people paying $1200 for a literally cubby hole in a big apartment with alot of other cubbyholes. its great if thats the communal social live you want to live but you can also get a 1 bedroom in other parts of the boroughs for that price too. i also know people who pay around $300-400 for a room in multi-bedroom apartments in Astoria.

i have lived in several different places in ny and loved all of them, but i have lived in Astoria for almst three years now and definitely have special fondness for it. great markets, great food, good people, huge park and the train is usually packed even at 5am. there are only a few places i would go out in astoria and probably wouldnt go see any music in astoria but its where i live and not where i party i sppse. Astoria has pretty much always been a working middle class neighborhood too. you can tell its getting more "manhattanized" and there are more of "the kids" moving out there. ive also been told Astoria is NOT the best place to live if you are single.

with that being said - my wife is going to NYU for her masters and its a really easy commute- the N,R or W trains stop at 8th street and its a four block walk to the School of Ed building (the 35 West 4th). about 25-40 mins depending on the time of day. i work at Union Square and get there in under 30min everyday.

make sure to check out the Warper Parties every month cause I know a couple of the students and maybe one of the Professors have made it out.

definitely check Craig's list for room shares etc. be careful with people asking for deposits.

anyway i suggest - parts of Washington Heights are a quick fast commute better if you speak a little espagnol, Boerum Hill in Brooklyn CAN be affordable, Lower Park Slope, Prospect Heights area, GreenPoint, Astoria- from like Broadway- Ditmars. 30th ave debate-ably being the "heart" of Astoria and Long Island City are all good bets IMHO.

thats my schpiel on NY living. damn didnt realize how long that was. give a holler when you get here!
second class robot

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:01 pm

nebulae wrote:Mike, I didn't know you were in Brooklyn! We should hang out next time I'm in town.

Oh Yeah, totally hit me up! If im counting correctly you owe me 2 bees :D

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:35 am

eisnein wrote: anyway i suggest - parts of Washington Heights are a quick fast commute better if you speak a little espagnol, Boerum Hill in Brooklyn CAN be affordable, Lower Park Slope, Prospect Heights area, GreenPoint, Astoria- from like Broadway- Ditmars. 30th ave debate-ably being the "heart" of Astoria and Long Island City are all good bets IMHO.

thats my schpiel on NY living. damn didnt realize how long that was. give a holler when you get here!
I speak espanol fluently. I'm puertorican myself. :wink:

Thanks a lot for the tips. Have seen a couple good listings around craigslist. Lots of rentals in the Harlem/Wash Heights area. Also seen a few good ones in Brooklyn.

Will def keep in touch with the new yorkers here and keep you up to date :D

dirtybomb

Post by dirtybomb » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:31 am

just avoid williamsburg - its a $hithole.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:12 pm

just avoid williamsburg - its a $hithole.
but it has the Bagel Store... mmmm.... egg and cheese on multigrain oat with hot sauce. I start drooling whenever I think of the Bagel Store.