Logic Users: Anyone use Ultrabeat?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
unklmic

Logic Users: Anyone use Ultrabeat?

Post by unklmic » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:29 pm

It looks damn confusing and I have ignored it so far, but just wondering if I am missing out?

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:59 am

I don't have Logic, though am working on it.

After having looked at the short video on the apple website that discusses Ultrabeat, I would say that you are probably missing out.

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/quicktours/ultrabeat.html

Check that for a little bit, and you might want to learn more.

Best,
AB

Probably not for everyone, though. Especially if you are into glitch and stuff.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:36 am

I can't wait for Logic to arrive this week so I can use Ultrabeat. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:57 am

Honestly I've created sounds in Ultrabeat, then imported them into Battery or GURU for further use. GURU's step sequencer is just about a gajillion times easier to use IMO, but Ultrabeat is pretty cool for making drum pads. Thing is though, you can't use Ultrabeat in Live, and I tend to bounce songs from Logic to Live. :?

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:03 am

Machinesworking wrote:Honestly I've created sounds in Ultrabeat, then imported them into Battery or GURU for further use. GURU's step sequencer is just about a gajillion times easier to use IMO, but Ultrabeat is pretty cool for making drum pads. Thing is though, you can't use Ultrabeat in Live, and I tend to bounce songs from Logic to Live. :?
I am an absolute fan of GURU. Check it out for sure.

DJDJ

Post by DJDJ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:54 am

He loves it, but I can't get past the confusing GUI. It's just not that quick to use
Last edited by DJDJ on Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:07 am

Ultrabeat is superb but I really didn't get the best out of it until I bought the Macprovideo tutorials. The interface is a bit clunky in places and there is a hell of a lot of tiny labels and handles that could be clearer but I think they were aiming for a single window layout. Sample loading and management isn't great - if they could add some of the best features of Battery 3 they would be on to a real winner.

D.
I invented coffee

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:32 am

Tarekith wrote:I can't wait for Logic to arrive this week so I can use Ultrabeat. :)
It is awsome, just remember, logic is gonna take a bit of time to get used to.......very complex.

I will miss ultrabeat.......

Krugger

Re: Logic Users: Anyone use Ultrabeat?

Post by Krugger » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:54 am

unklmic wrote:It looks damn confusing and I have ignored it so far, but just wondering if I am missing out?
hey dude,
check this out
http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/ultrabeat

at just under $40, it's a bargain for what you'll learn (2hrs)
Kr.

dango

Post by dango » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:46 am

video here on ultrabeat

http://seattle.logic-users.org/wordpress/

originally posted here by a fellow abonite

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:54 am

eyeknow wrote:
Tarekith wrote:I can't wait for Logic to arrive this week so I can use Ultrabeat. :)
It is awsome, just remember, logic is gonna take a bit of time to get used to.......very complex.

I will miss ultrabeat.......
Doesn't seem that bad. Already read the manuals and watched two DVD tutorials, I'm prepped and ready to dive in :) Really though, aside from the way you can route mulitple tracks to one channel ala the environment, I don't see that many differences between it and cubase. I mean, there ARE differences, but way more similarities too.

Funny that some people use Ultrabeat to prep for Battery, and here I've got all my Battery 3 kits prepped and ready for Ultrabeat!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:56 am

edit
Last edited by Tarekith on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:12 pm

Tarekith wrote: Doesn't seem that bad. Already read the manuals and watched two DVD tutorials, I'm prepped and ready to dive in :) Really though, aside from the way you can route mulitple tracks to one channel ala the environment, I don't see that many differences between it and cubase. I mean, there ARE differences, but way more similarities too.

Funny that some people use Ultrabeat to prep for Battery, and here I've got all my Battery 3 kits prepped and ready for Ultrabeat!
Remember you said that!!! It's perfectly Logical when you get your head round it but it is definitely not as immediate as Cubase, or Live for that matter. That's the tradeoff for having more power and flexibility. The one that got me was the fact that the environment IS your song. The arrange page a la Cubase, Live, etc is just one manifestation of your whole song. Delete a track from the arrange page and it is still there in the environment, complete with plugins, etc. Also, focus on getting a handle on the click and ports layer in the environment. That can really screw with your midi routing if you don't understand it.

Anyway, back to Ultrabeat, I find it really useful as a step sequencer for other plugins like Battery (obviously) and even for generating synth lines. Watch the macprovideo - that's the only quick way into Ultrabeat.

D.
I invented coffee

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:17 pm

Tarekith, saw that you finally sold the virus, let me know who you are getting on with Logic. I so seriously want to pick it up, but am waiting with hope for the new version and academic pricing on the new version. I know it's stupid, Logic 7 is a full-fledged solution and some would say you might not even need to upgrade, but with the new version seemingly so close, and no upgrade path from the academic, prudence would speak of waiting.

Well, let us know what you think. Especially the instruments and effects.

Best,
AB
Last edited by anti-banausic on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

DJDJ

Post by DJDJ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:42 pm

Tarekith wrote:Oh yeah, how do you know Tipper uses Ultrabeat? Have you foudn any interviews where he talks about this? Not doubting you, he's just one of my favorite producers, and interviews where he talks about gear and not Fuel are hard to find. Love any links you have!

You're aware that he doesn't make music for fuel records anymore, right?

hope this helps a bit
Last edited by DJDJ on Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.