Page 2 of 8

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:07 pm
by pulsoc
nebulae wrote: it literally feels like my eardrums are being lathered in butter when I listen to it.
That's hot.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:19 pm
by Funkstar De Luxe
I don't know, I'm not sure pro audio gear has any audible aliasing at all - considering the absolute minimum a pro studio will work at is 96Khz. I just think that nothing in the DA-AD process colours the signal, at least not favourably.
It's good we are in this situation though, it means we can choose whether or not to add this type of process. I'm sure engineers in the past fought for many hours to try and cut down on excessive harmonics and noise.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:24 pm
by Machinate
Angstrom wrote:
Funkstar De Luxe wrote:'Warm' is merely a light, pleasant form of harmonically related distortion. Everyone else is talking shit about things they don't fully understand or can't articulate. As per usual ;-)

Edit: And no, cable type will not affect your recordings unless 1) They are broken or 2) Are picking up interference (ie, not properly shielded). You can run simple test to prove this with RMAA http://audio.rightmark.org/
which is why (I think) DSP aliasing is often the cause of 'non-warmth' , as it produces non musical harmonics.
but then we're back to warm=roll-off - in this case wrt the nyquist theorem.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:47 pm
by Angstrom
Funkstar De Luxe wrote:I don't know, I'm not sure pro audio gear has any audible aliasing at all - considering the absolute minimum a pro studio will work at is 96Khz. I just think that nothing in the DA-AD process colours the signal, at least not favourably.
It's good we are in this situation though, it means we can choose whether or not to add this type of process. I'm sure engineers in the past fought for many hours to try and cut down on excessive harmonics and noise.

I think most people would be a bit upset if their hardware was aliasing these days :)

Ableton Operator meanwhile uses aliasing as a selling point!
Lots of bedroom coded VST / VSTi feature aliasing in many areas (intentionally or unintentionally) and get used by laptop musicians.
Which means that 'cold' digital sounds are still prevalent and popular. So I think of 'warm' as featuring few digital artefacts and musical harmonics, 'cold' as featuring many non-musical harmonics.

Just because someone has the best hardware doesn't mean they won't then use the ring mod off a freeware VSTi through that alias-free hardware! ;)

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:50 pm
by Emissary
warm to me sounds like father christamas came and laughed down your neck causing your inards to relax, it also sounds like someone put fish oil over the mix and the grazed their pubic hairs gently along the dripping sound of omega 3

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:52 pm
by Angstrom
now dephine phat

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:53 pm
by nebulae
I would love to do Aliasing. Aliasing makes me warm.

Image

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:10 pm
by Sibanger
I'm getting Hot & Sweaty :oops:

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:13 pm
by nebulae
Sibanger wrote:I'm getting Hot & Sweaty :oops:
That's because you're analog...you must be at least 50, and I think at that age, it's called hot flashes.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:19 pm
by Sibanger
Man, you'll soon see how old I am. You are sooo close.
Yep, that would be hot flushes.
It doesn't take much these days. :oops:

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:24 pm
by nebulae
Sibanger wrote:Man, you'll soon see how old I am. You are sooo close.
Yep, that would be hot flushes.
It doesn't take much these days. :oops:
I'm right there with ya, brutha.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:32 pm
by jb61264
nebulae wrote:
Sibanger wrote:Man, you'll soon see how old I am. You are sooo close.
Yep, that would be hot flushes.
It doesn't take much these days. :oops:
I'm right there with ya, brutha.
The +40 crowd RULES!

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:40 pm
by nebulae
You don't count...you've been "aliasing" for three months...

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:42 pm
by rikhyray
"Warm" is saying something while actually saying nothing, often used by manufacturers but also very diplomatic expression- someone asks you how "does it sound", it sucks, but you dont want to hurt anyones feeling then "sounds warm" will work, you don't lie and you dont antagonise, "interesting" is another good expression.
I find "thin" much more powerful, the most abusing word in this industry, it does not says much, difficult to challange , but it hurts badly and can be applied to anything hardware, software, song, mix, band, voice.....

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:50 pm
by nebulae
rikhyray wrote:I find "thin" much more powerful, the most abusing word in this industry, it does not says much, difficult to challange , but it hurts badly and can be applied to anything hardware, software, song, mix, band, voice.....
If you said I was thin, I'd give you a big hug.