Motu Ultralite Users I've Got an Easy Question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stale bread

Motu Ultralite Users I've Got an Easy Question

Post by stale bread » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:45 am

How the hell do you route the output of the computer back out of the analog
outputs.
i'm just trying to sample some sound from my computer into a hardware sampler, i've got a couple of outputs connected to the sampler but can't figure out how to send the signal. the console software doesn't seem to make this any easier either but this should be a simple thing from the software or the front panel 'right?'....
in my console view I don't even see the outputs only the inputs of mix pages1-4.
thanks in advance for the help.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 am

I tried sorting this out for a friend that bought one.....had me scratching my head for a while too. There should be another control panel called Motu Audio Set-Up that installed along with the console. In there you have dropdown menus for configuring the outs. In our case we were trying to set up cue outs for live.....turns out that in order to get the phones monitoring the cue in live we had to select outputs 3 and 4 for the phones on the unit but we had to set the cue outputs in Live to 5 and 6. Huh ?(I keep telling him he should call in to tech support because that just sounds plain wrong and other stuff could be wrong with it too.....but i think he's just happy to have it working in the way it is.)

The Ultralite sounds great but, and I speak as a former Motu owner, I found the software routing cumbersome and inelegant......but like I say maybe i just came into contact with a wrong'un......or maybe I am a wrong'un myself :lol:
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:04 am

thanks alot man, i'm going to check on this other software, it is strange, i'm not even sure what this cuemix software is for if i'm suppose to use something else, I'd rather bypass the software all together and just use the front panel but the manual doesn't even tell how to do that.
on top of that my master outs in Live are ll/12 for some reason.
rant rant

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:15 am

well i checked that app, it gave me the choice of selecting the
master outs
5.1 1-6
7.1 1-8

I don't understand it really, it didn't give me any more control than over the routing than before.

just incase let me explain further for anyone reading this. I'm trying to sample from itunes playing through the ultralite. i've got a pair of the ultralites outputs going into my hardware sampler but I'm not getting any output signal other than the signal going to my monitors.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:26 am

As a workaround for now...can you not feed your main outs to the sampler and monitor those outputs in your cans?

I know what you mean about the manual and routing though.....it's not at all transparent.

if no one gets back to you on this board try www.abletonlivedj.com.

there's quite a few hardcore ultralite users over there who are stateside.

Good luck.

jazzy

Post by jazzy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:40 am

OK

You must go in the preference dialog in Live and make sure that your output channels are activeted in Live (because you do not need to activete all to save cpu) . Then you simply route from live directly form a trak of bus to the analog output. It-s very simple

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:26 am

jazzy wrote:OK

You must go in the preference dialog in Live and make sure that your output channels are activeted in Live (because you do not need to activete all to save cpu) . Then you simply route from live directly form a trak of bus to the analog output. It-s very simple
He's sampling from iTunes though.......and like I say what you suggest above, which is the way it has worked on every other interface I've owned, did not work on the one I set up for my friend......

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:43 pm

no need to use the cuemix thing.

The outputs do not line up logically in Ableton. This is how it work on mine:

http://www.synnack.com/motu.txt

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:48 pm

tempus3r wrote:no need to use the cuemix thing.

thanks....confirms everything.....my mates was exactly the same

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:59 pm

Mammalux wrote:
tempus3r wrote:no need to use the cuemix thing.

thanks....confirms everything.....my mates was exactly the same
Yeah, once you know this is how it is "supposed" to be, you can set everythign up and it works great and sounds awesome.

Biggest problem though is when you're on stage and something isn't working right and you have to have this translation table in your head. That blows but I don't think it's so much a problem with Ableton as convincing MOTU to fix up their drivers.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Hey stale, did you sort it out?

As I recall you have to change your master outs in you mac os sound preferences if you want to record the system out through the analog outputs. I think this means you won't hear it out the master outs as well as the analog outs at the same time. But I can't remember exactly how it worked.

The output routing options weren't great on the ultralite. This was one of the reasons I ditched it for a presonus firebox. I could have the master out going out two sets of speakers at the same time with independent volume control.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:02 pm

R.J.Dubya wrote:Hey stale, did you sort it out?

As I recall you have to change your master outs in you mac os sound preferences if you want to record the system out through the analog outputs. I think this means you won't hear it out the master outs as well as the analog outs at the same time. But I can't remember exactly how it worked.

The output routing options weren't great on the ultralite. This was one of the reasons I ditched it for a presonus firebox. I could have the master out going out two sets of speakers at the same time with independent volume control.
You can easily do that in ableton with the ultralite. Make audio track, Audio From: Master, Audio To: some other output that is plugged in to different speakers. Now you have the master, and the master copy with individual volume controls coming out of different speakers.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:23 pm

tempus3r wrote:

You can easily do that in ableton with the ultralite. Make audio track, Audio From: Master, Audio To: some other output that is plugged in to different speakers. Now you have the master, and the master copy with individual volume controls coming out of different speakers.
I meant the master output of the ultralite, not ableton's master track. He's talking about sampling out of itunes here. What you're describing is something completely different.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:24 pm

thanks so much for all your help Mammalux, ,

and no RJ I haven't gotten it yet, as far as Live goes things are alright but right now i'm just trying to send any signal going through the computer out of any of the outputs besides the master out, , so far i've got all the imputs working and the master outs working, but I can't freely from the front panel assign whatever itunes is playing to the outputs I want, the outputs on the ultralite (not in ableton) i'm not using live right now.

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:36 pm

R.J.Dubya wrote:
tempus3r wrote:

I meant the master output of the ultralite, not ableton's master track. He's talking about sampling out of itunes here. What you're describing is something completely different.
Ok but there is no reason you can't record iTunes into some other app (like Ableton) by setting the other app to have 3/4 as the inputs and cabling it as such. Thats my only point, that what he's doing would work fine with the Motu and Ableton.