the songs you made...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jeskola

the songs you made...

Post by jeskola » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:13 pm

So i'm going through my laptop deleting all the stuff i don't need/use and i find a folder with the tunes from when i started out... and fuck me im hearing things i strive for now. The things ive learnt over the years production wise seem to have got in the way of my creative process. For example this track here was the second full track i ever made, production wise its weak, the kick is almost non existant , levels are ridiculously low and i dont think i eqd a thing... but the flow, arrangement and essence of it is bang on, something now i strive for! It's a few years old but i think i'm missing something now i had then.

http://www.stevenfoulds.co.uk/miniscus.mp3

unfortunatly i lost the parts and file for this due to a flood, but do any of you guys find the irony in the more you learn technically the more restricted (with hindsight) you've become? the more you worry about eqs, compression etc the more your losing your creativness? Would be quite interested to hear - i've had tracks realeased but i think listening back to my old stuff i'm happier with that than the stuff now - spending weeks humming and haaaing over arrangements and production ethics... when i didnt know / understand those things was i free to create better things?

would be interested in your thoughts.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:21 pm

wow this tune is sweet! real deep and has great flow. Quality-wise it's not too bad either. Guess i was expecting something REALLY REALLY bad. :lol:

I totally know what you mean though. I feel exactly the same way. I listen to some of my first tunes sometimes and am amazed at how crap they sounded, but how much better substance and flow they had than my more recent ones. And just like you, I lost the files to many of those tunes :cry:

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Im sooooooo with you people

At those times, I didnt think about crap like EQ & Compressors, but concentrated 100% on music

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:54 pm

totally with you

I did the same thing the other night

I sat that totally puzzled as to why I'm not making tunes like I used to any more - I used to love doing it, but I just lost the flow

like I became more of an engineer than a producer

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:00 pm

nice tune too BTW - dont think it sounds bad at all

that's what was frustrating me the other night - at the time I did alot of stuff I was so critical I never let it see the light of day - spent too much time flogging it so that I was sick of it by the time I was finished

but listening back years later I cant believe it all just sat there unreleased, or that I lost the momentum

just have to wait for it to return I guess! :wink:

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Now I understand Jean Michele Jarre....i remember reading an interview with him for his new album (dont remember when). Anyway, he said, that he used only his old classic synths (the ones that were used for Oxygen) for this album, because he hoped to make music, the way he did it years ago (when he was young)

mission

Post by mission » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:08 pm

i like that tune a lot man...

after 8 years of trying to find the music/production geek balance, i constantly have to remind myself what im doing and why i love doing it. it gets to a point where my rappers say "tony, lets get everything recorded, stacks, adlibs, shouts and THEN you can tweek your knob things" ...

whether its with other people or just me, i always have to remind myself to keep going, let the flow go, step away and come back in a bit to mix things down. my partner doesnt know anything about production and just comes in, jams keys on some tracks and has the basis for a really good tune.

luckily him and i make a good team. but his "i dont want to know anything about EQing" attitude is a good reminder sometiems that i take it too far.
if creativity is outlawed, only outlaws will be creative

Mission / DEFIANT / L5P / R-TOWN

jaffadj

Post by jaffadj » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:25 pm

miniscus - top track bro!
i like it - i would play it

i'm the same as u - to the point that i dont write tracks anymore

the early stuff i wrote was minimal and didn't have all the layers that u are expecting to put in a track but the tunes were there and the effects served a purpose (as opposed to now when i write stuff and add reverb/delay/distortion its more to say i've used them but they dont necessarily fit)

in fact the only tracks that i wrote and that i am still playing out are the ones i did years ago.

but i really like your track man!

tamtam

Post by tamtam » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:24 am

great post great track
however it should not be viewed as years-ago-I-had-it now-I-lost-it. you just must avoid fiddling with plugins and arrangements. work fast be self disciplined. and
production wise its weak, the kick is almost non existant , levels are ridiculously low and i dont think i eqd a thing..
Quality-wise it's not too bad either.
fuck production and "quality"

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:09 am

tamtam wrote:fuck production and "quality"
So true. I am sure there was plenty in "My Humps." It's nicer when you don't concern yourself with being a Jack of all traits. I found that concerning oneself with handling every aspect can interfere with working with others, as well as put an unfair limitation on your personal goals, ie: I got to make a good mix. Here is my new song called four-on-the-floor. It consists of a kick drum and a 100 sends.