happy 4/20

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:05 pm

b0unce wrote:actually, its cop-talk for a marijuana related crime. like 187 for homicide.

you're right about everything else
I disagree...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4/20 (weird that the page has the / between 4 and 20, didn't know html/IP could handle that).

Do you have a source for the cop speak? It'd be different in different countries though.

I'm so unmotivated to work today...
Last edited by Tone Deft on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by nebulae » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:06 pm

hoffman2k wrote::lol:

I've been celebrating all day and I had no clue!

Still, how high do you have to be to decide that 4/20 makes more sense then 20/4 :lol:
Have a few Scooby Snacks, and it'll all make sense.

Image
Image Image Image Image

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:11 pm

Tone Deft wrote: I disagree...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4/20 (weird that the page has the / between 4 and 20, didn't know html/IP could handle that).

Do you have a source for the cop speak? It'd be different in different countries though.

I'm so unmotivated to work today...
ya, an ex-cop/ex-gi told me 7 years ago...
I believe him

would be interesting to verify this with another cop
spreader of butter

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:12 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Still, how high do you have to be to decide that 4/20 makes more sense then 20/4 :lol:
If it was 20/4 then the Americans wouldn't be getting high today, and god knows the americans need to chill the fuck out. You guys just enjoy your Amsterdam, the closest thing we have is Nevada. :(

PLB
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:20 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Post by PLB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:16 pm

b0unce wrote:
ya, an ex-cop/ex-gi told me 7 years ago...
I believe him

would be interesting to verify this with another cop
i got this from http://parentingteens.about.com/cs/mari ... eaning.htm although it's geared more for clueless parents:

Known myths: Police dispatch code for smoking pot is 420.
The number 420 is not police radio code for anything, anywhere. Checks of criminal codes suggest that the origin is neither Californian nor federal. For instance, California Penal Code 420 defines as a misdemeanor the hindrance of use of public lands.



maybe your ex-cop friend was just repeating the myth?
Last edited by PLB on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hoffman2k
Posts: 14718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:16 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Still, how high do you have to be to decide that 4/20 makes more sense then 20/4 :lol:
If it was 20/4 then the Americans wouldn't be getting high today, and god knows the americans need to chill the fuck out. You guys just enjoy your Amsterdam, the closest thing we have is Nevada. :(
I'm not talking about the cultural thing. I'm talking about the way you write a date..

We write 20/04/07 : the 20th day of the 4th month of the 7th year

How you guys ended up with 04/20/07 is beyond me. But since we're learning new stuff today anyway, I'll guess somebody will chimme in soon enough.
Provided they arent too fucked up yet :wink:

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:17 pm

eat a fat one, Tone Deft

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&clien ... arch&meta=

thats a google on 'cop lingo 420'

theres enough results to verify...
spreader of butter

Shoma
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: Almaty, Kazakhstan

Post by Shoma » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:17 pm

Image

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:19 pm

b0unce wrote:eat a fat one, Tone Deft

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&clien ... arch&meta=

thats a google on 'cop lingo 420'

theres enough results to verify...
Smoke a fat one b0unce.

Read the wiki entry (because if it's in the wiki it must be true ;) ), dates it back to 1971. I could see the cops, being part of the drug culture as they are, taking on the phrase themselves.

The one thing about the cop angle is that it wouldn't be the same across international borders, do cops in Ireland use 187 as police brutality or did you pick that up from listening to Ice Cube? Probably from rap.

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:20 pm

PLB wrote:
maybe your ex-cop friend was just repeating the myth?
possibly...but he was a cop..so...I dunno
the whole world has gone crazy
spreader of butter

PLB
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:20 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Post by PLB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:21 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Still, how high do you have to be to decide that 4/20 makes more sense then 20/4 :lol:
If it was 20/4 then the Americans wouldn't be getting high today, and god knows the americans need to chill the fuck out. You guys just enjoy your Amsterdam, the closest thing we have is Nevada. :(
I'm not talking about the cultural thing. I'm talking about the way you write a date..

We write 20/04/07 : the 20th day of the 4th month of the 7th year

How you guys ended up with 04/20/07 is beyond me. But since we're learning new stuff today anyway, I'll guess somebody will chimme in soon enough.
Provided they arent too fucked up yet :wink:
i think you're confused because that's just how we write our dates, month day year instead of day month year...

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:22 pm

Shoma wrote:Image
Sorry, I hate that show.

Trailer Park Boys is some funny ass pot/alcohol/trailer park humor.
Image

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote: The one thing about the cop angle is that it wouldn't be the same across international borders, do cops in Ireland use 187 as police brutality or did you pick that up from listening to Ice Cube? Probably from rap.
you fool, he was an AMERICAN cop/gi ...
the last time we seen him he was balling his eyes out because george W was elected, and off he went back to america to ...cry some more probably

we call our police force 'gardai'
spreader of butter

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:30 pm

b0unce wrote:you fool, he was an AMERICAN cop/gi ...
the last time we seen him he was balling his eyes out because george W was elected, and off he went back to america to ...cry some more probably

we call our police force 'gardai'
Fuck, I should have known that, obviously. Have you ever met a smart cop? High school diploma, a gun and a badge. Why the fuck are you hanging out with cops who support Bush?

Smoke a fat one b0unce.

I think you can do better than to show google hits, that's weak. All that shows is the common misconception people have. I could prove that Bush is the best president EVER in the universe with that same logic. At least I have a pseudo source with wikipedia. If I wasn't at work I'd look up High Times, Erowid and other drug reference sites that have cred.

Contra
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Miami,FL. USA
Contact:

Post by Contra » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
b0unce wrote:you fool, he was an AMERICAN cop/gi ...
the last time we seen him he was balling his eyes out because george W was elected, and off he went back to america to ...cry some more probably

we call our police force 'gardai'
Fuck, I should have known that, obviously. Have you ever met a smart cop? High school diploma, a gun and a badge. Why the fuck are you hanging out with cops who support Bush?

Smoke a fat one b0unce.

I think you can do better than to show google hits, that's weak. All that shows is the common misconception people have. I could prove that Bush is the best president EVER in the universe with that same logic. At least I have a pseudo source with wikipedia. If I wasn't at work I'd look up High Times, Erowid and other drug reference sites that have cred.

i think his cop buddy doesnt support bush, judging from tears pouring out when bush was elected, unless, they were....TEARS OF JOY!

or tears for fears.

Post Reply