Saving slices as .wav ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ruprecht

Saving slices as .wav ?

Post by ruprecht » Wed May 02, 2007 2:28 pm

Is it possible to slice a .wav file and save the slices as a several short .wav's?

I have a long .wav file that contains kicks, snares, etc. i want to make each hit available in the library for constructing drumkits. I'm going in and slicing it using ctrl+E and consolidating the slice but when I drag the slice to the library it saves it as a clip (.alc). I want to save it as a .wav.

I want to save them as .wav's because these .alc files take a lot longer to load when you preview them (I'm guessing that's because it's loading the entire .wav the .alc references) and if I want to use them in another program/sampler they won't work as .alc's.

I'm guessing the solution is to render each slice but that's ridiculous.
Win XP Pro : SP2 : Dual Opteron 246 : 1GB Ram : MOTU Traveler : Live 7: Cubase 4: Reason 4

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed May 02, 2007 2:35 pm

Well, definitely there should be some improvements on this.

But do you realize that after consolidating, that the file does already exist as a new .wav file - in the project folder you are working on, under (something like) Samples/Processed/Consolidate

So what remains is to import it into the library, which is easy via the file manager. However you will get them all into one directory, at least at first.

You may want to see this thread:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59532

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed May 02, 2007 2:37 pm

2 answers:

1. If you go to arrangement view and drop an audio file in an audio track, zoom in, select an area and right click and consolidate, then in the sample display on the bottom, right click and choose manage sample to see where the processed file is, you can find where Live has saved a copy of the file that has been chopped and move & rename it so you can access it later.

2. In session view, drop your audio file in an audio track, turn off warp, set your end and start makers to select a slice, make a copy of the clip, go on to the next slice, repeat until done, then you can either save the clips somewhere on your drive or drop them in impulse and save the kit.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed May 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Sound Forge is really good at this.

There is "auto region" which will find the hits for you then "extract regions" which will export a file for every slice.

You can even use the batch functionality to automate this even further.