Draggers vs. set-freaks

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Are you a dragger or a set-freak?

Dragger
57%
Set-freak
43%

Total votes: 21

fzero

Draggers vs. set-freaks

Post by fzero » Sat May 05, 2007 1:33 am

What kind of user are you? Do you start your live performances with an (almost) empty set or use a huge, carefully planned set? I wrote a little article about these two main types of Live users after a discussion at Create Digital Music. Check it out:

http://www.geradorzero.com/2007/05/04/a ... trackback/

[]s!
FZero
Last edited by fzero on Sat May 05, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat May 05, 2007 1:39 am

I've never heard the term dragger before, where the heck did that come from?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat May 05, 2007 1:42 am

oh wait... I get it. dragging things in during the set.

i'm a little slow.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

fzero

Post by fzero » Mon May 07, 2007 12:21 pm

I just added a tutorial on the dragger way: Enter the dragger! Enjoy!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon May 07, 2007 12:23 pm

I reject the term "Dragger"!

Where is the box for "starts with a clean almost empty set and then builds everything in real-time without the mouse"?

;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

4am

Post by 4am » Mon May 07, 2007 1:00 pm

there is at least another category: "the pickers" :wink:

i have a large set (about 750 scenes) but it don't play the whole scenes, i just pick a sample here and another there.... then add patterns coming from the hardware i have with me and try to add some "realtime creations" and effects. but without a pre-defined structure...

there are tons of possible combinations and it also depends on the humor of the day

fzero

Post by fzero » Mon May 07, 2007 1:31 pm

4am wrote:there is at least another category: "the pickers" :wink:

i have a large set (about 750 scenes) but it don't play the whole scenes, i just pick a sample here and another there.... then add patterns coming from the hardware i have with me and try to add some "realtime creations" and effects. but without a pre-defined structure...

there are tons of possible combinations and it also depends on the humor of the day
Looks like a set-freak to me! You have a huge set that was prepared in advance anyway. There's nothing wrong with that.

fzero

Post by fzero » Mon May 07, 2007 1:32 pm

Machinate wrote:I reject the term "Dragger"!

Where is the box for "starts with a clean almost empty set and then builds everything in real-time without the mouse"?

;)
Now I'm curious. How do you do it? or do you use a trackball? ;)

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Mon May 07, 2007 1:35 pm

fzero wrote:

;)
Machinate can loop live like few others. It borders on beautiful.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

4am

Post by 4am » Mon May 07, 2007 1:38 pm

fzero wrote:
4am wrote:there is at least another category: "the pickers" :wink:

Looks like a set-freak to me! You have a huge set that was prepared in advance anyway. There's nothing wrong with that.
in fact it is a collection of livesets (one after the other) where i can "surf"...

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon May 07, 2007 3:19 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
fzero wrote:

;)
When you say loop live, do you mean perform live or is this another slang adjective?

BTW, Machinate is imo a godsend. The things I have learned from the soundwrecks effects presets are more valuable to me than any college or program could be. Damn!

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Mon May 07, 2007 3:49 pm

LOFA wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:
fzero wrote: Now I'm curious. How do you do it? or do you use a trackball? ;)
When you say loop live, do you mean perform live or is this another slang adjective?
I mean play MIDI keyboards into Live. We used to have a sort-of band, which was me, him, and a drummer. We'd just do live improv things, great fun, and we did get a good vibe going as long as I stayed in the background:) We'd just start with some atmospherics or whatever, and get going and then build a track from nothing. I remember once me and the drummer left the room and came back ten minutes later, and he's done a whole track by himself which sounded as good as any we'd do all three...

He's not too shabby on the bass guitar either.

(and he gave me a synth once for free)
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon May 07, 2007 7:49 pm

Hey where is all the "Copy and Paster's" ?
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro