Anyone here making metal music with Live?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mbakirov

Re: Anyone here making metal music with Live?

Post by mbakirov » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:17 pm

SpeedKing wrote:Yeah, I totally do: https://soundcloud.com/user646823035

Some of those snippets are things my friend and I play around with, in terms of metal + electronic music. Others of those snippets are regular awesome metal.

I've owned Live for 1.5 years now, and I'm still blown away by how Ableton lends itself to creativity and songwriting versus other traditional/linear DAWs. Just my opinion of course, but yeah, metal + Ableton = good combination.
Do you use ableton or VST stompboxes or a hardware pedals\processors?

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 pm

I make EDM, 80s pop rock and metal with Live. I've found it the best DAW for using a midi controller to make guitar riffs. Lives midi effects are great for this.

I use third party plugins for metal.
Guitar samples electri6ity
Guitar AMP sim Amplitube free + Slash.
Guitar effects Soundtoys, Valhalla DSP
Drum samples Steven Slate Drums 4 Platinum + Chris Lord Alge expansion.
Bass Guitar Spectrasonics Trilian
Synths U-he DIVA
Vox Pads Spectrasonics Omnisphere.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 pm

XSIMan wrote:I make EDM, 80s pop rock and metal with Live. I've found it the best DAW for using a midi controller to make guitar riffs. Lives midi effects are great for this.

I use third party plugins for metal.
Guitar samples electri6ity
Guitar AMP sim Amplitube free + Slash.
Guitar effects Soundtoys, Valhalla DSP
Drum samples Steven Slate Drums 4 Platinum + Chris Lord Alge expansion.
Bass Guitar Spectrasonics Trilian
Synths U-he DIVA
Vox Pads Spectrasonics Omnisphere.
So no actual guitar? everything virtual?

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:19 pm

mbakirov wrote:
SpeedKing wrote:Yeah, I totally do: https://soundcloud.com/user646823035

Some of those snippets are things my friend and I play around with, in terms of metal + electronic music. Others of those snippets are regular awesome metal.

I've owned Live for 1.5 years now, and I'm still blown away by how Ableton lends itself to creativity and songwriting versus other traditional/linear DAWs. Just my opinion of course, but yeah, metal + Ableton = good combination.
Do you use ableton or VST stompboxes or a hardware pedals\processors?
The guitar distortion/tone is thanks solely to Guitar Rig 5 (VST). The drums are Superior Drummer 2.0 (VST) with the "Metal Foundry" expansion pack. The other instruments are Ableton instruments. I have a POD XT, which has some nice sounds when used in combo with my Ibanez head and stack, but I really love the sounds I get from Guitar Rig. I almost feel guilty, but I hardly ever use my actual physical guitar equipment anymore (other than the actual guitar of course).

vollblut

Post by vollblut » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:25 am

http://snd.sc/15O135O

Entirely produced in Live.

Was quite a time ago with very Little mixing experience, so no masterpieces of audio Production. But you learn by doing anyway.

Drums are addictive drums, reason for this is more a lack of a good recording room than Live, though.
Ableton is totally capable of "traditional" recording and mixing, if you like the Workflow.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:04 am

alvaro wrote:For some reason i have assumed that the majority of you are djs / electronic musicians...

Im curious if anyone else is using live for rock/metal/industrial music production... if you do, i would be very pleased to listen your metal productions with Live as your main DAW :)
I am working on an electronic rock project. I recorded session drummers, guitarist, and bass players.

One track is http://www.soundcloud.com/michae-thomps ... soundtrack
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

Peevy

Post by Peevy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 am

I have done some Metal orientated music in Live but was never really inspired to finish what I started. I veered away from Metal/Rock for a while & have been mostly using Live for Glitch/Dubstep/DnB which I find Live absolutely brilliant for. Before I was writing & recording Metal music with Reaper (great DAW but needs some serious streamlining) I've gotten back into some serious guitar playing (thanks in no small part to the acquisition of the amazing EVH Wolfgang Special) & recently bought Logic X, which I find much better suited to Live linear recording & composition. I think one of the main features Live is severely lacking for recording live instruments & vocals is comping. I know there are work arounds but IMO you just cant beat being able to comp the best performance from multiple takes, Logic even allows you to have multiple comps per region (I think Reaper has a similar feature)

For me where Live really comes into its own when playing the guitar is being able to have a Live improv looping set with the help of a midi foot controller. I have a KM Sotfstep that I use with in a Live looping project, used to control Amplitube (preset change, pedal FX wah etc) One input track for the guitar sending to multiple output tracks for recording clips, all controlled by the softstep for the recording & launching of clips. It really is a fun & inspirational way of working with Live.

Back on topic, I do agree that there's no problem using Live for Metal or any other genre of music but I prefer to use Logic or Reaper for Linear live recording.

Lorang wrote:I use Ableton Live for all my music, and it´s pretty metal!

I´ve put it up on https://soundcloud.com/emil-lorang-bringsli
Some really nice work there. I particularly like "Goat in Strife" kinda reminds me of Mattias Eklundh. Is that a Sterling JP70 7 string guitar in the picture?

miekwave wrote:
alvaro wrote:For some reason i have assumed that the majority of you are djs / electronic musicians...

Im curious if anyone else is using live for rock/metal/industrial music production... if you do, i would be very pleased to listen your metal productions with Live as your main DAW :)
I am working on an electronic rock project. I recorded session drummers, guitarist, and bass players.

One track is http://www.soundcloud.com/michae-thomps ... soundtrack
Liking this too.
Image Image Image Image

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Not into metal, but do use Live with guitars a lot, especially more recently. Always use Logic in the past because of the option of more dedicated comping, but to be honest, I'm actually starting to prefer Live and find it less cumbersome than Logic. My guitar playing ability for what I do is more than adequate, so it's not about getting a good take and more layering.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:47 am

What I really miss in Ableton is an ability to automate beat change. I mean if I want to switch from 4/4 to 7/4 or back there is no such an option.

Lorang

Post by Lorang » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 am

mbakirov wrote:What I really miss in Ableton is an ability to automate beat change. I mean if I want to switch from 4/4 to 7/4 or back there is no such an option.
Yes there is, you just click Create->Insert Time Signature Change.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:42 am

wow! did not know that.
thanks!

Lorang

Post by Lorang » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:51 am

mbakirov wrote:wow! did not know that.
thanks!
You're welcome! :D

shred_harder

Post by shred_harder » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:00 pm

@alvaro yes i am im using the scarlett 2i2 for interface as well and goin straight plugin