Anyone here making metal music with Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alvaro

Anyone here making metal music with Live?

Post by alvaro » Sun May 06, 2007 10:12 pm

For some reason i have assumed that the majority of you are djs / electronic musicians...

Im curious if anyone else is using live for rock/metal/industrial music production... if you do, i would be very pleased to listen your metal productions with Live as your main DAW :)

cmcg37

Post by cmcg37 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:56 pm

I am working with a group that is doing a video game sound track. For the most part, it is Metal/Rock. Live has been perfect for this application.

If one of the players is trying to nail a solo and can not quite "get it", I drop the BPM by 10 or so and they can play right along. In fact some of the tracks were written with slower BPMs but when they saw what live could do with tempos, we bumped them up a couple of BPMs. We have saved many hours recording solos that would have been difficult to do with another DAW. Cheating? Maybe. Effective to project time line? You bet.

regards,

CMcG37

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Mon May 07, 2007 1:05 am

TRANCE-METAL

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Mon May 07, 2007 1:58 am

I've done quite a bit of my prog-metal album in Live. It'll be available soon.

swollenpickles

Post by swollenpickles » Mon May 07, 2007 2:19 am

cmcg37 wrote:I am working with a group that is doing a video game sound track. For the most part, it is Metal/Rock. Live has been perfect for this application.

If one of the players is trying to nail a solo and can not quite "get it", I drop the BPM by 10 or so and they can play right along. In fact some of the tracks were written with slower BPMs but when they saw what live could do with tempos, we bumped them up a couple of BPMs. We have saved many hours recording solos that would have been difficult to do with another DAW. Cheating? Maybe. Effective to project time line? You bet.

regards,

CMcG37
Just a question seeing as though I haven't played guitar live into live yet, does the tempo change thing do anything to the pitch?

cmcg37

Post by cmcg37 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:53 am

swollenpickles wrote:
cmcg37 wrote:I am working with a group that is doing a video game sound track. For the most part, it is Metal/Rock. Live has been perfect for this application.

regards,

CMcG37
Just a question seeing as though I haven't played guitar live into live yet, does the tempo change thing do anything to the pitch?

First off, the playing has to be good. Live is a tool not a fix-all. Depending on the playing style. If the notes are really staccato (eg Mutes), beats mode is good enough in most cases. If there are many sustains & bends, I will use texture or tone mode. Between those three modes, I get a good sound without artifacts. Stay away from repitch mode or you will get the classic pitch down/up effects.

Recording the guitars are not that high tech either. They run through a Line 6 pod into my mackie mixer (1202VLZ) and right into my built in audio. Since we work in layers, this is not a problem. I discourage use of effects like delay/flange/verb because that can be done in Live and keep the option to change/tweak the effect later. I keep the cabinet/amp model from the Pod because they sound pretty good. I have a demo of Izotope's Trash but I have not really spent much time with a real guitar player playing through the plug-in.

Guitar Metal/Rock or otherwise has a great place in Live.

swollenpickles

Post by swollenpickles » Mon May 07, 2007 3:40 am

cmcg37 wrote: First off, the playing has to be good. Live is a tool not a fix-all. Depending on the playing style. If the notes are really staccato (eg Mutes), beats mode is good enough in most cases. If there are many sustains & bends, I will use texture or tone mode. Between those three modes, I get a good sound without artifacts. Stay away from repitch mode or you will get the classic pitch down/up effects.

Recording the guitars are not that high tech either. They run through a Line 6 pod into my mackie mixer (1202VLZ) and right into my built in audio. Since we work in layers, this is not a problem. I discourage use of effects like delay/flange/verb because that can be done in Live and keep the option to change/tweak the effect later. I keep the cabinet/amp model from the Pod because they sound pretty good. I have a demo of Izotope's Trash but I have not really spent much time with a real guitar player playing through the plug-in.

Guitar Metal/Rock or otherwise has a great place in Live.
Thanks for the response

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Mon May 07, 2007 8:04 am

Thank you all

cmcg37, very good point in using live's warp capabilities to slow down difficult parts... indeed i did it a couple of times ago and it seems to work... with nowadays such powerful tools everything is possible.

If any of you have a myspace site or something where i can listen some previews of your work ... i am curious about that... i need to break myself this stereotype :)

Lorang

Re: Anyone here making metal music with Live?

Post by Lorang » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:04 pm

I use Ableton Live for all my music, and it´s pretty metal!

I´ve put it up on https://soundcloud.com/emil-lorang-bringsli

Lorang

Post by Lorang » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Also, my experience is that speeding up guitar solos often takes away a lot of their organic properties, making them sound synthetic.
My advice would be to just simplify the guitar solos until they are possible to play.

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Check out my song "meat grinder", link to my sound cloud is in my signature. All done in Live, and I can't say there's anything I haven't been able to accomplish while producing metal. Live is great for it.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:31 pm

My friends do metal with ableton.
Its its near 100% Native plugs.

http://www.reverbnation.com/doubledproj ... 8-dr-djent

dsu

Post by dsu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Just mixing a prog metal album. Recorded the beds in Ableton Drums, guitar, Korg synth. Tracked the vocals and put down some more guitars.

Didn't play to a click so the tempo setting is meaningless. Which makes editing a few drum beats more interesting.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am

I am only starting. I've created one blues (keyboards and guitar), and then some classic tune, but I plan the next to be hard rock \ heavy metal.

As I started learning music 20 years ago as a guitarist (and I am learning keayboards only for about a year), it is much easier for me to play guitar on a guitar than on a keyboard :) So I play guitar on guitar - no virtual stuff.

When I recorded guitar for blues I have digitech RP355 processor plugged into behringer 802USB mixer, so for recording I leave all "hard" effects on RP355 (amp, distortion, wah), but turn off all "soft" effects - chorus, delay, reverb as I found out it is easier to tune them within Live.
For solo I found out a good audio effect rack in LIve8 called seomthing like "guitar rack" featuring reverb and delay.

My blues tune is https://soundcloud.com/marat-bakirov/blues-for-dad
Solo guitar starts at about minute 8.
It is not 100% completely accurate :( I know. But finally decided to leave it as it is.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Yeah, I totally do: https://soundcloud.com/user646823035

Some of those snippets are things my friend and I play around with, in terms of metal + electronic music. Others of those snippets are regular awesome metal.

Below are four different types of things I've experimented with. The second link below is just a test song, just to let a friend hear how a couple parts sound separate and together. Otherwise, yeah, these are works in progress or experiments for the most part. The first two links have elements of electronic music in them, the last two links are traditional metal.

Electro-Metal Shred (Guitar/Drums + synth + piano): https://soundcloud.com/user646823035/el ... etal-shred
Trance Metal Experimental: https://soundcloud.com/user646823035/tr ... intro-test
Traditional Power/Speed Metal: https://soundcloud.com/user646823035/wo ... 5-november
Power Metal: https://soundcloud.com/user646823035/dr ... elings-too

I love Ableton for metal. The quickness and ease that you can come up with various harmonies and arrangements is just mindblowing. I've owned Live for 1.5 years now, and I'm still blown away by how Ableton lends itself to creativity and songwriting versus other traditional/linear DAWs. Just my opinion of course, but yeah, metal + Ableton = good combination.