Anyone happy with hifi for bedroom mixing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Tue May 08, 2007 2:37 am

Its about ears not gear....good music is gonna come through no matter what. Deerhoof recorded an entire CD on three laptops out of synch, each one running a free version of protools that only allowed one or two tracks...and it rocked!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue May 08, 2007 6:20 am

You can make it work no prob.

Make your records.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue May 08, 2007 6:29 am

ScholarlyGent wrote:You dont want to monitor through speakers that sound "good", you want to monitor through speakers that sound true. Both cheap and expensive hifi color the sound in an attempt to make what your listening to sound better. Usually the highs are brightened and the lows are boosted. While this might be great for listening to stuff at home or in your car it is not what you want with monitors. Studio monitors are called referance monitors because they are just that, tools to reference what the true sound your producing is. A good set of monitors should have a very flat frequency response and should not color the sound at all. This is a very difficult feat to accomplish which is why all monitors end up having a different sound to them but for the most part the flatter the response the better.
But what is "true"? The sad truth is that most listeners are listening music through crappy ipod-headphones, or on crappy hi-fis, or on crappy car-stereos. And most dance music is getting played on mono-club-PAs, where they put an extremely cranked up compressor-limiter after the dj saturated the hell out of your mix with his mixer, or even sent it through a kaoss-pad.

If your ears are used to a certain type of speakers and you know how a good sounding recording sounds on those speakers than there shouldn't be a problem for making a well working mix on this system.

lummux

Post by lummux » Wed May 09, 2007 3:26 pm

I've never tried this but it's something i've always wondered about, would it be possible to simulate a flat response by using an EQ plugin on the master?

Somehow you need to measure the frequency response of your speakers, then compensate for this with EQ...not sure how you would do this though.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed May 09, 2007 3:51 pm

lummux wrote:I've never tried this but it's something i've always wondered about, would it be possible to simulate a flat response by using an EQ plugin on the master?

Somehow you need to measure the frequency response of your speakers, then compensate for this with EQ...not sure how you would do this though.
Use a RTA to check frequency response from the position where you usually listen.

Back to the original question. If it works, go with it. I mix 95% of my music on a cheap pair of Sony headphones...

ew

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed May 09, 2007 6:26 pm

i bin mixing down using my technics hifi pretty much since i started making tunes. these songs have been played on a lot of other systems afterwards, mp3 players, car stereos, club systems, the radio occasionally, wherever. and they've always sounded alright.
i tried mixing down through a cambridge audio amp and some wharfedale speakers once (thats what we got set up in the lounge) and it just sounded way off so i stick to what im happy with.

i read an interview with the feller from four tet a few years back that i found interesting :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul03/a ... ourtet.asp

overdub

HI-FI........... why not

Post by overdub » Wed May 09, 2007 7:38 pm

Cayin 252B
Sonus Faber Concertino home
B&W subwoofer

And my mixes stand up on club systems, car-fi's and whatnot!

Some people say that ONLY monitors built for the purpose have the needed flat response - but where I go and shop for gear they have like 10 diff. brands of TRUE monitors - but they ALL colour the sound to their engineers liking - just as HI-Fi speakers do.... so go with whatever worx 8)
Gearslut :o)

More bass in the hi-hat

www.daffydub.com
www.myspace.com/daffyscrib

blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:50 pm

2 days ago i visited a cool mastering engineer in a nice studio.
he was showing me the music he was working on.
he said it was well mixed, it sounded real good,he had very little to do.

and it was completly mixed on a laptop on headphones!

on the other side i listened once to the 2 metres big PMC mastering monitors and i would certainly accept them when anyone would give them to me as a present.

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Wed May 09, 2007 8:20 pm

The only important factor is knowing how your setup sounds. You're better mixing on a $50 hi-fi if you know how it sounds