Running OS X on PC

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
JACKAL & HYDE
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:26 am

Running OS X on PC

Post by JACKAL & HYDE » Sat May 12, 2007 12:03 am

It appears from searching the net that OS X (OSx86) runs faster on PC machines than OS X on Mac boxes.... And OS X 10.4 now runs perfect on both AMD and Intel PC's. Its only a matter of time before Jobs has to accept this and at least sell OS X for PC (no installed versions obviously without creating the legal battle from hell Jobs vs Gates) via a DVD version for sale. The cloners overseas near China are building these x86 boxes at a million miles an hour and selling them abroad right now so it must be addressed by apple now. And comparing OS X that hauls ass on PC machines to Bootcamp that runs half ass by comparison on macs is just another reason why Jobs has to address this imo.


Older
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commen ... 5/08/68501
Newer
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:om ... ent=safari

axou
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:59 am

Re: Running OS X on PC

Post by axou » Sat May 12, 2007 12:47 am

JACKAL & HYDE wrote:It appears from searching the net that OS X (OSx86) runs faster on PC machines than OS X on Mac boxes
And comparing OS X that hauls ass on PC machines to Bootcamp that runs half ass by comparison on macs is just another reason why Jobs has to address this imo.
Do you have any links, recent benchmarks to back that up ? Bootcamp does not run half ass on my Core2Duo MacBook Pro, nor in any review I've read online. You might be confusing with Parallels, which is Windows running through virtualization inside OS X.
Macs and PCs are pretty much the same inside now, I'm not sure where you've seen a performance difference running the same OS on two machines with the same guts.

JACKAL & HYDE
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:26 am

Re: Running OS X on PC

Post by JACKAL & HYDE » Sat May 12, 2007 2:40 am

axou wrote:
JACKAL & HYDE wrote:It appears from searching the net that OS X (OSx86) runs faster on PC machines than OS X on Mac boxes
And comparing OS X that hauls ass on PC machines to Bootcamp that runs half ass by comparison on macs is just another reason why Jobs has to address this imo.
Do you have any links, recent benchmarks to back that up ? Bootcamp does not run half ass on my Core2Duo MacBook Pro, nor in any review I've read online. You might be confusing with Parallels, which is Windows running through virtualization inside OS X.
Macs and PCs are pretty much the same inside now, I'm not sure where you've seen a performance difference running the same OS on two machines with the same guts.


Theres hundreds of examples; Games & certain apps running slower with boot http://digg.com/tech_news/Boot_Camp_Rev ... n_Windows_

I'm not going to scour the net for benchmarks because that was not my intention of this thread. And the comparison was not that boots that bad but that OSX runs really really fast on PC platforms.

The only point was yes, its the "same guts" so OS X should be available to PC users in DVD form from apple now. It is already working perfectly, just not legally. Jobs makes a Billion in software sales and people putting together workstation PC's can get OS X legally for use. Its a win or everyone.
Last edited by JACKAL & HYDE on Sat May 12, 2007 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

iamnotcool
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:07 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Post by iamnotcool » Sat May 12, 2007 2:47 am

two words will explain why you'll never see it happen.

Quality Control
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

JACKAL & HYDE
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:26 am

Post by JACKAL & HYDE » Sat May 12, 2007 2:53 am

iamnotcool wrote:two words will explain why you'll never see it happen.

Quality Control

And your right of course. Thats why you'd never see OS X in PC's in the mass market. But for people that do make "quality" PC workstations not slappy off the shelf PC's it would be nice.

ejectorset
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:01 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Post by ejectorset » Sat May 12, 2007 2:53 am

im not going to say never (osx on non apple hardware), but i will say this, look at how many people (myself included) switched to mac after being awed by the iPod.

the iPhone is going to take over in the business world. its the must have gadget of the year already and its not out. best phone ever. all kinds of crazy new shit like selective voicemail, easy conference calls from a cell.

anyways, this will be like the iPod again but much larger scale, these is a different demographic with much more disposable income for shinny new macbook pros.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: Running OS X on PC

Post by b0unce » Sat May 12, 2007 3:16 am

JACKAL & HYDE wrote:Jobs makes a Billion in software sales and people putting together workstation PC's can get OS X legally for use. Its a win or everyone.
he sells hardware too. and people buy the hardware for osx.
spreader of butter

axou
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:59 am

Re: Running OS X on PC

Post by axou » Sat May 12, 2007 11:38 am

JACKAL & HYDE wrote:Theres hundreds of examples; Games & certain apps running slower with boot http://digg.com/tech_news/Boot_Camp_Rev ... n_Windows_
Oh sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought your point was :
Windows on Macs runs slower than Windows on PCs
OS X on Macs runs slower than OS X on Pcs

Actually, your link shows that :
OS X on Macs runs slower than Windows on Macs
which is entirely different

Still, if you have any links that mention OS X on PC running much faster than OS X on Macs, I'd be very interested.

Anyway, to me the big problem is integration. OS X runs so well because Apple knows what's inside their Macs, and choice for hardware tinkering is rather limited when compared to the PC world, where you need to make sure all drivers run nice alongside each other.

bencodec
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Post by bencodec » Sat May 12, 2007 2:35 pm

besides, with macs now costing less then equivilantly specced pcs, why would you pay more to buy a dell? even after you've hacked it to run mac os.
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com

steff3
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:16 am

Post by steff3 » Sat May 12, 2007 3:50 pm

most quality PC manufacturers are not much cheaper than Apple Macs - and buying directly from Apple you can hope that the system will work a bit more reliable - as the software developers know what the hardware developers slip in the box.

I hope the day when I have to worry that this chipset works well with that PCI-card and both with that USB-Device will not come so soon.

Win is a lot longer on x86 processors, would be a shame if their OS would run worse than an OS that still has to carry around code for PPC is on the x86 platform just for over one year ...... And in the end - Logic, Digital Performer, numerology, MetaSynth only run on Mac - so they will not run faster on Win - so why bother ..... ?

best

Amberience
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:09 am
Location: London, UK

Post by Amberience » Sat May 12, 2007 5:24 pm

Quite a strange little opening post here, because it is quite contrary to everything I am experiencing with my BRAND NEW LESS THAN A WEEK OLD iMac.

Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz
1GB DDR2 667 RAM
ATI 256mb graphics
230GB HD (I ordered a 160GB, but they gave me a bigger one by mistake! Nice mistake Apple!)

I'm running Bootcamp. OSX runs VERY quick. And guess what, I shit you not... but XP runs a LOT faster than my AMD machine:

Athlon 64 4200 X2
1gb DDR333 RAM
Onboard Nvidia Geforce 6100 128mb graphics
40GB HDD
80 GB HDD
200GB SATA HDD

Yes. The iMac beats the AMD machine on a few things: Graphics, faster RAM, and a faster system drive.

But again: My experience is totally contrary to what the opening poster is claiming.

Amberience
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:09 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Running OS X on PC

Post by Amberience » Sat May 12, 2007 5:26 pm

BTW: Yes, I do agree. OSX should be available to Windows users.

djadonis206
Posts: 6490
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Re: Running OS X on PC

Post by djadonis206 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:32 pm

Amberience wrote:BTW: Yes, I do agree. OSX should be available to Windows users.

Agreed
Ableton | Elektron

Music

PDX
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:02 pm
Location: San Diego California
Contact:

Post by PDX » Sat May 12, 2007 7:18 pm

pc's with osx would be cool. i wouldnt buy one but it would be cool.
blackmac, live 6, osx, ni, fw410, micron, bcr2000, oxy8, alesis prolinear 720 dsp (x2), akg studio mic, a station, newcastle brown ale.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 12, 2007 7:45 pm

Absolutely agree with Jackel . My perception of why this doesn't happen is more to do with Apple being warry of direct unadultrated attacks from Microsoft than any sort of worry about quality control. It would be too simple for Apple to sell the OS without support; say you get a mac pro, and Apple will answer your tech support questions, but if you don't own Apple hardware it's a no go.
I really believe the reason for this is is the combination of tech support BS "OSX sux! cuz my POS $250 PC is having problems with it!" and not wanting to be under Microsoft's gun as directly.
I think it's just a bad business move to go against a company that has more liquid assets than god.

Post Reply