Quantizing question...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hat

Quantizing question...

Post by hat » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:37 pm

and it's a silly one, especially that I'm no newbie to recording in general, and for that, I apologize in advance but this little thing I often overlook could be useful if I understood it better. Here goes....

It seems there are so many quantizing selections that can be made in a given Live session. One in the Preferences pane, one in the menu bar of the session, one in the clip's edit window, one one the bottom left of the clip's edit window, etc. Sometimes I get confused by it all and I wonder if understanding their differences can help me improve certain aspects of composing?

Can anyone just give me a brief rundown on which one you would alter for a particular function while putting together a tune, or how does one affect the other? I understand quantizing, I'm just baffled by all the options Live offers in that regard.

Also on somehwat related note, I often like to program my own drum loops with hits on separate tracks, and I understand that seeing the appropriate grid lines (1/4, 1/16, etc.) is dependant on how zoomed in you are. Is there a way around this? By that I mean is there any way that if I start my kick on 1/4 notes for example, I can go directly to a 1/16 grid without having to zoom in so much? (like in ProTools for example, you see the grid lines divide or multiply right away).

Thanks!

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:45 pm

ok lemme see if i have this straight and anybody who knows better can follow up with a more accurate reply...

the quantization at the top in the transport section is the master quantize...
any clipsset to "global" will automatically quantize to this setting.

setting quantization in the clip itself to anything but global overrides this setting in concern to triggering clips.

Transients are another thing entirely, this lets you tell live that this is a 16th or 8th note pattern and it does its magic there...

so you could have a scene with three clips...
one set to bar, one set to none, and one set to 1/4...
then if you start hammering on the scene button at random, one clip will only loop on the bar, one will loop every time live counts 1,2,3,4 and one will trigger every time youve hit the button...

make sense?
maybe it does.

hat

Post by hat » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:03 pm

Damn, that's pretty good and yes, it does make sense. That's exactly what I was looking for, a quick 101 that the manual somehow failed to enlighten me on. If there's more on these quantizing subleties, by all means, bring em on, I appreciate it! In fact this will come in handy to have a better grip as it's just now that I will start being a bit more interactive with the Oxygen 8 and Live (as opposed to strictly mouse). To this day I haven't yet fully taken advantage of all the midi triggering that can be done - hits, loops, muting, automation, etc, from a controller. I start playing out in March and I'll need the practice. Thanks again.

By the way, if this matters at all, I never use the Clip View, I'm always on the Session view, perhaps I should start learning to use both, as I assume for Live performance, the Clip-column view may be more intuitive?

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:26 pm

right on...
the arranger view is great, thats where i like to start a rough sketch...
then dig into the session view and fine tune it...
as far as using the oxy8 theres some good info in the tips and tricks section, i started a thread called "organization thingy"
check it out... you might get some good ideas.