Once and for all - those annoying ASD files!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jamester

Once and for all - those annoying ASD files!

Post by jamester » Sat May 12, 2007 6:15 am

Is there any way to get Live to NOT shit those ASD files all over my sample library's?

In Reaper for example, you can create a folder for them and point to it (they're called REAPEAKS files), and they'll all go there and stay out of my sample folders.

I'm setting up a new computer, and haven't put Live on it yet...

TIA!
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sat May 12, 2007 6:24 am

You can tell live to not automatically create the asd files when you audition them, but of course it won't play back in time. That way it just gets created when you use the file in your track. A collect all and save would then move them to the project folder and you could delete the old ons.

Not exactly the most elegant way to keep out of your samples folder, but it'll work.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat May 12, 2007 6:50 am

Thanks RJ, but man that's not cool...

So all you guys just have the ASD files duplicating all your samples, in all your folders?

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sat May 12, 2007 7:02 am

Yep, but to be honest it doesn't bug me that much, because I always browse for samples from either Live's browser or some plug-ins browser, which doesn't show the asd files, so I don't notice.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

Tallisman

Post by Tallisman » Sat May 12, 2007 7:18 am

the .ASD fils are not that big. and if you configure you view to show in groups and arrange by type, they are easy to bypass.

still, if would be cool to borrow from the Reapz MO and allow the user a definable folder to store all ASD files until such time as the session/project is archived.

stutter

Post by stutter » Sat May 12, 2007 1:18 pm

I imagine within your OS you can set certain file types to be, by default, hidden from view. That might help, although not the solution you're looking for.

glu

Post by glu » Sat May 12, 2007 4:07 pm

I don't touch the little bastards- awhile back I had to revive thousands of ASDs for all my live sets. It was a grueling process, but I became a crazy scientist and managed to put my sets back together flawlessly. Now I just leave the little fuckers where they are- until I have some time to do a series of tests to wrap my head around saving things differently.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sat May 12, 2007 5:06 pm

I bought another drive, and moved my Ableton Library to it, then copied all my samples to my library.

not the best solution, but now i have a solid back up of my sample collection, and my live library is huge, and live has no trouble finding anything.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat May 12, 2007 5:17 pm

Rogue Scrunt wrote:I bought another drive, and moved my Ableton Library to it, then copied all my samples to my library.

not the best solution, but now i have a solid back up of my sample collection, and my live library is huge, and live has no trouble finding anything.
This is how I was thinking of doing it also, although I hadn't thought of copying all my samples into the Library...interesting.

I guess they're not that big a deal, but it just annoys me when programs leave their little footprints all over my computer. I noticed Battery does this as well, leaving an NI folder wherever you import a sample from.

It's intrusive, and I disaprove on principle!

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun May 13, 2007 4:18 am

Have the auto-create disabled then when I save and collect I then go and manually save .asds for the files in that track. Slightly laborious but I too dislike having those things splattered everywhere. OCD anyone? Anyways, seem to remember that method came from Tribalogical way back when.

Ruud

Post by Ruud » Sun May 13, 2007 9:14 am

It's the only disadvantage I have from Live
The folder hierarchy.

It's just doesn't function correct.
It' strange that it duplicates certain
files and put them anywhere on your HD
I also put the whole stuff on a extern La Cie but this solution
for such a nice program it's I think a shame.

Heinz Graaf

Post by Heinz Graaf » Sun May 13, 2007 5:59 pm

so how do you copy all samples used by Sampler for example to the library folder without having Sampler look for them because they are "missing" ?

If I save a Sampler patch I want it to save the used samples too. But thats not possible?

jamester

Post by jamester » Sun May 13, 2007 9:09 pm

I ended up using Rogue's advice, and copying most of my sample collection into the Library. When working in Live, now I will only use these folders, and not my "master"ones. Kinda redundant, but at least I should neverhave samples missing or whatnot, since everything will stay inside the Library.

I hope...

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sun May 13, 2007 11:28 pm

it works well, and now you have a real solid back-up

good luck
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Ruud

Post by Ruud » Mon May 14, 2007 7:17 am

The projectfolder en the other folders I put external
So every time I work or save a new project I know it's there and not lost anywhere.
I check whitk (apple I) the last date
Still silly for such a program