no sidechain in live7- no upgrade

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon May 14, 2007 4:27 am

Sidechaining is nice, but a big fat +1 on the making naked chicks appear for Live 7.
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin

thelocalhost

Re: no sidechain in live7- no upgrade

Post by thelocalhost » Mon May 14, 2007 5:25 am

tylenol wrote:
thelocalhost wrote:It does support sidechaining, but only in a particular way (i.e. audio/audio tracks, not midi/audio tracks). This is the fundamental problem.

(Or perhaps I have a incorrect understanding of setting up Guitar Rig 2 in Live)
I don't know how guitar rig 2 works, but I've gotten sidechaining to work with kontakt 2 (midi to midi), and with mfm2 (midi to audio), various vocoder type plugins (audio to audio) and with automat (audio to midi -- it has a hidden feature of acting as a midi gate). You just make sure the i/o button on the right is checked, use the "Audio To" or "Midi To" tab to select the right track, and make sure to select the right channel if there are several. If no channels are showing up I'm not sure why that would be, but would guess the problem is with guitar rig.

Edit: in case this is helpful, I tossed up a screenshot of what the setup of an audio sidechain to a midi instrument looks like for automat. It is here.
Thanks for the help. I downloaded Automat and got it to work exactly as you've shown. But GuitarRig (the FX and the MFX versions) don't allow me to send audio to that midi track. In fact, when I put Guitar rig 2 on any midi track, it thinks that it's an audio fx. It's still waiting for the instrument to be placed on the midi track. I am still using 5.2, but I belive that this issue still exists in 6.0.x. Between this and the lack of abiilty to properly change meters, I am really disappointed in Live. Especially when a new version was recently released. The only new feature I am intrested in in the multi-core support. Everything other improvement was pretty weak. And you can't create your own groove templates? ahh... sorry for the rant... it got away from me.

tylenol, thanks again for your time/posts.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon May 14, 2007 5:40 am

am i the only one that dont know what side chaining is?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon May 14, 2007 5:41 am

possibly!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 14, 2007 5:46 am

check the first entries here there's a good tutorial.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 619#174619

Basically it means sending a main signal into an effect and having another signal control a parameter in that effect. Such as sidechaining bass lines with kick drums so the bass turns off or lowers its level when the kick drum hits, making the mix clearer.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Live 10.1, Win10, Edirol UA101. USB: APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mics for guitars and vocals. MIDI via sound card: JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft/eephlat

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon May 14, 2007 6:04 am

In fact, when I put Guitar rig 2 on any midi track, it thinks that it's an audio fx
admittedly i haven't used guitar rig so theres a good chance i'm completely wrong here, but i was under the impression it was an audio fx for guitars. have you tried putting it on an audio track and routing a midi track to it instead? that way audios going through it, and whatever midi you need goes to it as well.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon May 14, 2007 7:44 am

am i the only one who knows what external key input means?

comp 2 has a sidechain eq.

seriously all of this ruckus makes me want to never use the external key input of any plugin or piece of hardware.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Mon May 14, 2007 7:58 am

steff3 wrote:
What is the problem - side-chaining works great in Live since version 4 or so ..... Works with Neodymium, WaveArts, etc.

best
WaveArts plugs do not support any external sidechain... at least in Live 6

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Mon May 14, 2007 10:16 am

alvaro wrote:
steff3 wrote:
What is the problem - side-chaining works great in Live since version 4 or so ..... Works with Neodymium, WaveArts, etc.

best
But aren't they supposed too?

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Mon May 14, 2007 10:23 am

how many of you are really using video?
me... :oops:
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Fernando Carvalho

Post by Fernando Carvalho » Mon May 14, 2007 10:31 am

alvaro wrote:
steff3 wrote:

best
I think that the windows version of trackplug can´t make sidechain but the mac one does it well.

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Mon May 14, 2007 1:50 pm

steve-o wrote:
alvaro wrote:
steff3 wrote:

best
But aren't they supposed too?
Just in AU and TDM. VST not supported and they have not intend to fix that, as as they replied me in wave arts boards.

womoma

Post by womoma » Mon May 14, 2007 4:13 pm

The 10 gigs of farmyard animal multisamples promised already make it worth it for me.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 14, 2007 4:22 pm

thelocalhost wrote:guitar rig it's a little bit different. The sidechain signal is the audio being 'modulated' or 'altered' from the midi instrument (Inst 1). Maybe this isn't too conceptually important. The more fundamental problem is that you need to send Audio (via a sidechain) to a midi track.

In Live it isn't clear to me how this can be set up.

How can this be done in Live?

I may be wrong here, but is what you want to achieve is recording the midi which is sent to Guitar rig, while also having guitar rig process audio from both the guitar signal and another audio signal?

I don't have Guitar rig, but put Guitar rig on an AUDIO channel, don't put it on a midi channel.

Lets call the track with guitar rig on 'track1'
Put a fresh midi channel next to track1 , called track2 -> make it armed to receive your foot controllers, set midi out to 'track 1' sub select 'guitar rig' .

This will record the midi on track2 and the straight guitar audio on track1, (the audio channel with guitar rig on) make sure BOTH channels are armed.

If you need to route other signal to guitar rig (I guess it has a vocoder or something) then set up another channel (track3) for the source, insert your midi instrument if it is midi , or don't bother if it is audio - then choose 'audio to-track 1' sub selector 'guitar rig' , there should be some alternative inputs there. That's if it supports multiple audio inputs. If it does you will see guitar rig in 1&2 , Guitar rig in 3&4, etc.

This is from memory, a friend has guitar rig and I tried to set up Ableton on his machine once.

I use other plugins of my own this way though, so it should be fine.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon May 14, 2007 5:20 pm

- Some button that says to Live "Chill dude, its a midi plugin. Just play along".

Or i crush this bunny :twisted: