Where did my VST plugins geaux?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Waterboy

Where did my VST plugins geaux?

Post by Waterboy » Thu May 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Hello all!
Please forgive me if this has been brought up before, but I am wondering why I can not use my VST plugins.
I am using a MacBook (Intel), and everything runs fine - as long as I running the AU version of a plugin. When I look at my pref's (in Live), the VST option is OFF. When I try to turn it on, Live crashes. I don't understand why this is.
Could somebody please give me some insight? Thank you
:cry:
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu May 17, 2007 2:12 pm

Try checking out the contents of Live's runtime log, located in your home directory under the folder:

Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live X.Y.Z/Log.txt

...that will probably indicate which plugin is giving you troubles.

Davengeful

Post by Davengeful » Thu May 17, 2007 2:16 pm

Ableton will scan for available plugins each time it loads. You probably have a VST that is crashing Ableton when it scans it. Try removing all VST plugins from the plugin folder... just dump them into a folder on your desktop, and try opening Ableton with VST enabled. It will help isolate the problem. You can then try adding your VSTs back in, one at a time, and open Ableton each time to see which one is crashing your system.

A word about VSTs through... many of them won't work because they weren't designed for Intel Macs. I've begun limiting my searches to Universal Binary Audio Units. I now have a good number of plugins, and only 3 VSTs... everything is AU. One of the toughest things for me when switching from PC to my Intel Mac was giving up a number of plugins that I truly loved. I still miss them, but I'm finding good substitutes for my iMac.
My life is spent in one long effort to escape the commonplaces of existence.