X-tempo Pok wireless midi foot controller

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
aviavi

X-tempo Pok wireless midi foot controller

Post by aviavi » Fri May 18, 2007 6:12 am

Has anyone had a chance to check this out?

http://www.x-tempozone.com/

Seems very cool. I've been wondering when something like this was going to come along. Anyone have a chance to try it with Live?

Avi

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Fri May 18, 2007 9:01 pm

OK, it's wireless.
But I have a Behringer FCB1010.
I can control my DAW with that and send notes, have two pedals and 10 switches. That for a fraction of the price of that POK.

If you really need to be wireless you can get the m-audio mid-air.

So what 's the point of that thing

aviavi

Post by aviavi » Sat May 19, 2007 12:45 am

The mid-air is a keyboard. It would be great if M-audio, or Behringer or Roland or Yamaha could put out a wireless foot controller (or even just a USB powered one) with more buttons than the POK. But right now, the Pok seems to be the only foot controller that lets one have a few less things to plug in, short out or loose at a gig.

Avi
www.avibortnick.com

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Sat May 19, 2007 5:33 am

I mean the mid-air wireless MIDI Transmitter and Receiver system, not the keyboard...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MidAir-main.html

So you can get pretty close to wireless :D

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat May 19, 2007 7:17 am

It doesnt send MIDI. Its basically just a wireless keyboard with a few big buttons that you can step on. Seems like its geared more towards pro tool folk and not us mackie emulatin', MIDI translatin' ableton kind... i recall the words "Pro Tools" being peppered throughout the video demos by ricky martin.

aviavi

Post by aviavi » Thu May 24, 2007 4:51 am

A friend of mine has the POK and I've had a bit of chance to check it out.

It's pretty cool, but I was mistaken. It is not a midi controller, but a controller that sends out keystroke information -- like a wireless keyboard in a way. But you can configure it to send out commands like "command-z" for undo, for example.

It is very fast, with no noticeable latency between the time you press a button and the time an action happens. It is very very lightweight and compact.

tribalc

Post by tribalc » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:32 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio is partly correct. True, the pok is something akin to a wireless computer keyboard, which works with your application's keyboard commands, (so you don't need to translate from midi to keystrokes). It is not however "geared to Pro Tools" alone. It is as good (if not better) a companion to Ableton as it is to PT. Also, although the pok has 8 buttons, it transmits 22 command functions according to how you press the buttons (single-click, double-click). As aviavi has indicated, the thread title incorrectly describes the pok as a midi controller. :)

bagginz

Re: X-tempo Pok wireless midi foot controller

Post by bagginz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Hmm, I just took delivery of one of these.

There's a 350 ms (ish) latency between hitting a switch and the action commencing.

Hitting the same key on the keyboard (that the POK transmits)is immediate.

I've searched the net, most people say it has no latency and only one person had the same experience as me (he was using it with Live for the same purpose)

Can anyone shine any light on this?

If not, it's useless for the purpose I wanted it for (triggering record in/out for live looping and start/stop for live shows) so be warned about the POK. (If I hear different or find a fix, I'll post back)

So maybe back to my midi footswitch and Midi Translator then? (which IS effectively immediate for switching)

(win xp, latest version Ableton Live)

tribalc

Post by tribalc » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:15 pm

That delay is because of the double=press function. If you have double-press enabled, the pok waits for a possible second press before transmitting. Disable double-press and the latency should be gone.

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 am

tribalc wrote:That delay is because of the double=press function. If you have double-press enabled, the pok waits for a possible second press before transmitting. Disable double-press and the latency should be gone.
Thanks for your quick reply tribalc, I appreciate it.

I also got a fast reply from Trevor at POK saying the same thing.

And yep, that was the problem. It now works :)

Cheers,
bagginz