Who is using Commercial Sample Libraries for tracks or demos

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dbolt

Who is using Commercial Sample Libraries for tracks or demos

Post by dbolt » Sun May 20, 2007 1:35 pm

I have a few that I've purchased on Ebay and other Sample websites. I was just curious if a lot of people were using them. I have a feeling that their are being used by many including some big names artist along with Films and TV.

One of my favorites that I use is "Smokers Delight" and sure their some good loops to use but for me its important to dissect the sample and use it differently. By the way this a great library for loops and one shots. Real instruments with smoky vintage sounds. I've found another great sample library of someone playing the piano, really good melodies and loops. But what also comes with the CD are the midi files to load and use Massive or FM8 and tweak the midi files a little bit and now you've paid for someone to basically come into your studio and lay down some sounds for you.

So would anyone say using sample libraries is a cop out for lazy musicians or just part of the creative process of making music?

These are my new virb accounts
http://www.virb.com/deadbolt
http://www.virb.com/monopro
Last edited by dbolt on Sun May 20, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun May 20, 2007 1:40 pm

Well, the way I use the term sample libraries would not include audio/midi loops.

using loops is the biggest cop-out there is.

To me, a sample library is what you seem to call 'one-shots' - a collection of one-shots or a chromatically sampled instrument that you can play yourself in the sampler of your choice.

loops are whack, whack, whack. Even jacking melodies from other artists work is better than using commercial loops.

in my very humble opinion, of course.
but you asked the question, so dont take my response as a personal dig at you, your mom, or those close to you.
spreader of butter

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Sun May 20, 2007 1:59 pm

I know their are a lot of purist out their that have your same thoughts. I just think a lot of artist out their that are making beats for other artist or whatever are using commercial libraries(Loops, one shots, FX, etc...) to make money and make music. I think for a lot people its a business and finding something catchy can make money. I mean some of these sample libraries are pricey$$$. So that almost justifies using them as loops or one shots, etc....

Did you just talk about mama! Just kidding of course I don't take that personally.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Sun May 20, 2007 8:49 pm

I don't use any loops, samples, chords, scales, notes, or theory that anybody else uses. there simply is no difference between a 1 shot sample and a 4 shot loop. I even stopped using Live because other people started using it.

I am completely originaL. :lol:

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun May 20, 2007 9:16 pm

b0unce wrote:loops are whack, whack, whack.
+1
b0unce wrote:in my very humble opinion, of course.
+1

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun May 20, 2007 9:22 pm

dbolt wrote:I know their are a lot of purist out their that have your same thoughts. I just think a lot of artist out their that are making beats for other artist or whatever are using commercial libraries(Loops, one shots, FX, etc...) to make money and make music. I think for a lot people its a business and finding something catchy can make money. I mean some of these sample libraries are pricey$$$. So that almost justifies using them as loops or one shots, etc....

Did you just talk about mama! Just kidding of course I don't take that personally.
I've seen those all-in-one construction libraries;
- full loop with all layers (beats, bass, melody)
- every layer as separate loop..
- all separate loops deconstructed into one shots..

please tell me; wtf has this to do with creating music?
paint by numbers if you ask me..

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun May 20, 2007 9:34 pm

but I think the real problem is that computers and music are too hot these days..
The loop factories are booming..

we all have a neighbour that does 'music' as well..
they lack talent so they muck-up some banging tunes in my first sequencer a.k.a. garage band or what not..
Just drag in some loops and call yourself mister musician..

say the magic word..?

convenience..

all right, come in..

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun May 20, 2007 9:36 pm

i.m.h.o.

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Mon May 21, 2007 3:07 am

I have mixed emotions about using commercial libraries and I think a lot of people are just scared to admit that they do use them because then no one is going to believe what is real and what is commercial libs. For instance I have two hip hop tracks that I've made and the string triton sounds came from a sample lib. I mean it gave the track an authentic feel and then the drums are programmed in Battery 3 and the vocals are sampled from a gospel record. The pads and piano are from Absynth 4 and the Guitar is me also all mixed and ARR in Ableton. So I mean Hip Hop needs to be taken from many different sources its what gives the choppy stop and go feel. I.M.H.O

The two Hip Hop tracks are called "Dirty South Chops" and "Betta Run" on both sites.

I mean come on look at DAft Punk and Fat Boy Slim and countless other sample artist in the Electronic scene. Not saying that they use Commercial Libs I'm just talking about the whole sampling and taken melodies from others.

I was shocked at this video>>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4

Rod Underleaf

Poster said

Post by Rod Underleaf » Mon May 21, 2007 3:24 am

"I've seen those all-in-one construction libraries;
- full loop with all layers (beats, bass, melody)
- every layer as separate loop..
- all separate loops deconstructed into one shots..

please tell me; wtf has this to do with creating music? "

this is rightly called music Production and it is legitimate. I personally like to play large chromatically sampled virtual instruments on my Wind synth.

This is incredably rewarding and depending upon the skill of the player outstanding results can be achieved. Look into some of the big libraries by Quantum Leap especially the work of Nick Pheonix.

Initially I didnt think such results were possible.

After half a lifetime of playing various instruments I have never worked with straight loops because I cant get my head around the paradigm.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon May 21, 2007 4:56 am

a bit of closed mindedness is going on here... I mean, I play guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and mostly compose music entirely from these devices but I sometimes throw in some loops or samples, nothing wrong with it as long as you don't let it rule you.

People used to be like this about the electric guitar, then synths, then MIDI, then digital recording, then advanced digital recording with audio editing (including copying and pasting 4,8 or 16 bar phrases, so this is also looping).

How many people play every note of every track of every goddamned instrument in real time with no quantize, no cut and paste of 'regions' of audio. Especially using Live, which is the non musicians dream DAW, load up loops and samples in session view (heck even a whole bunch of clips are provided with the program, incidentally provided by big fish audio, one of the largest producers of commercial sample libraries), manipulate samples by reversing them, using envelops for panning, pitch, velocity etc, consolidate clips, resample etc. then line them up in the session view arranger by verse, chorus, break 1 etc and you got the next big thing...

I would say 99% of Live users use samples (even if they are old audio clips recorded by themselves) and loops in some form or another.

What I would agree with is that while this is OK to a point, it can be easily done to excess and I would always recommend learning an instrument and recording it and using vst instruments and making your own grooves wherever possible.

Another reason for blending in loops and samples with your own work - it sounds like you have other musicians working with you and therefore less repetitive as whoever recorded the samples and loops has their own style of playing.

Keep an open mind !
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jamester

Post by jamester » Mon May 21, 2007 5:23 am

It is only the end result that matters. The creative artist uses any and all materials at their disposal to produce the intent.

Is there not an art to collage? It is the vision that needs to be authentic, not the tools and materials used to assemble and produce it.

IMHO
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon May 21, 2007 6:23 am

at one stage you were not a true painter if you didn't gather your own earth and minerals and created your own paint.

Rod Underleaf

Post by Rod Underleaf » Mon May 21, 2007 6:24 am

Like I said, Its called music Production and is totally legitimate.

I just dont know how to work well with loops.....yet.

bip

Post by bip » Mon May 21, 2007 10:07 am

to answer the question on the title of this post i would say

loosers