A Name for DJing with Ableton.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Tue May 22, 2007 12:32 am

email checker

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:25 am

peeddrroo wrote:email checker
:D My fave!

jaffadj

Post by jaffadj » Tue May 22, 2007 2:54 am

People who say digital DJing is cheating are people who think the main skill of a DJ is beatmatching. I guess that's what impresses most at first - your ability to beatmatch.
You have to show people it is easy to beatmatch records, and that the real skills of a DJ is track selection, getting out the right effects and mixing bass lines and melodies - and this is as hard to get right in a digital DJing environment as in a typical vinyl / CDJ environment. And then you can show them that because you can do more digitally, the skill level gets even higher with Ableton Live - you can do more so people demand more of you. Normal.

I put DDJ on my flyers when I play using Live (which I don't do often enough unfortunately)

Airwave

Post by Airwave » Tue May 22, 2007 5:13 am

well call them hybrid sets then.

I don't have this problem anymore as I'm only playing my own stuff now, but I used to call them Trilosets so it suited my concept album that got released last year.

L.
OOPS

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue May 22, 2007 5:58 am

jaffadj wrote:People who say digital DJing is cheating are people who think the main skill of a DJ is beatmatching. I guess that's what impresses most at first - your ability to beatmatch.
This is like saying that the most important skill for a football player is his ability to kick the ball... sure, that's a fundamental part of the game, but there's much more to football than just kicking a ball around. Similarly, beatmatching is just (IMHO) the fundamental basis of DJ'ing... knowing what records to play, what order to play them in, and how to elegantly mix them together is what makes them a good DJ.

On a more cynical note, I have heard lots of DJ's make fun of laptop jockeys for not having to beatmatch, but at the same time, I couldn't begin tell you how many sets I've witnessed where the DJ couldn't beatmatch for shit. And I'm not talking about crowd-warmers, here... many of these people are big names (which I'm not going to start dropping), and they couldn't go 20 minutes without fucking up. I rememeber seeing one particularly well-talked about DJ at stern radio club who literally fucked up every transition in his set... yet, the crowd loved him, because his errors were not too grave and he kept the beat rocking.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue May 22, 2007 7:41 am

stale bread wrote:the propper name has always been there.

remixing
I use that term as well, but it depends what you are doing with the tracks.

MrTiddles

Post by MrTiddles » Tue May 22, 2007 10:15 am

Thanks guys!

There's some really good suggestions. I have to say, I'm not really bothered what other DJ's say, Once they actually see my setup (there's a picture of it on my MySpace if anyone's interested) they start to show a little more respect, especially when I mention devolement times and costs!

'Remixer' seems like a cool title to have. It's gotta be something that attracts the ladies too! 1st rule of DJing is, once the girls are dancing, the guys will follow! So anything with 'digital' sounds a little geeky (sorry!).

Maybe we should get evilevilevilevilevil to do a poll?

Cheers

Stevie
'Fear makes the wolf look bigger'
http://www.myspace.com/StevieVega
4Tunes: Quad Intel 2.66, Live 8, Lots of VSTs
4Mixing: Macbook Pro, Live 8, APC40, iPad

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue May 22, 2007 10:28 am

sqook wrote:
jaffadj wrote:People who say digital DJing is cheating are people who think the main skill of a DJ is beatmatching. I guess that's what impresses most at first - your ability to beatmatch.
This is like saying that the most important skill for a football player is his ability to kick the ball... sure, that's a fundamental part of the game, but there's much more to football than just kicking a ball around. Similarly, beatmatching is just (IMHO) the fundamental basis of DJ'ing... knowing what records to play, what order to play them in, and how to elegantly mix them together is what makes them a good DJ.

On a more cynical note, I have heard lots of DJ's make fun of laptop jockeys for not having to beatmatch, but at the same time, I couldn't begin tell you how many sets I've witnessed where the DJ couldn't beatmatch for shit. And I'm not talking about crowd-warmers, here... many of these people are big names (which I'm not going to start dropping), and they couldn't go 20 minutes without fucking up. I rememeber seeing one particularly well-talked about DJ at stern radio club who literally fucked up every transition in his set... yet, the crowd loved him, because his errors were not too grave and he kept the beat rocking.
Hehe, soooo many stories from dj's fucking up...

Claude Young did that a lot. But to be fair, he did scratch with his teeth and elbows.
At his very last set he performed in Belgium, he accidently hit a fader and shut down the sound without noticing it.
Just his monitors where playing..

He was building up a climax with knight of the jaguar. Noticed something was up in the crowd..
Played along by turning up the monitors an make the place explode by hitting the fader at the right time.

I got the mix, but unfortunatly it is without crowd and apperently without that fader error. So must have hit something outside of the mixer.

It's a fuck up i'll never forget.
Messing up a dj set is as much part of dj'ing then executing a set perfectly.

There's also one of those Kenny's that i like to watch getting into trouble.
Kenny Hawkes or Kenny Larkin, cant remember..
If he messes up, he'll shake his head in a way that says "no, this is not good"..
Then when he fixes it or executes a nice move, you see him nod like "yes baby, this is the shit".
Gotta love that :D

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 22, 2007 10:54 am

im so tired of this whole thing.

fuck a dj.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:07 am

Does it really matter?

The sooner DJs/PAs/whatever get over themselves, the better...

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 22, 2007 12:00 pm

Yawn. It's only us nerds that worry about this.....oh and the DJ bashers who fail to see the crucial importance of DJs in dance music culture.

btw. it's perfectly possible to have a truly great non-mixing dj. It's all about having the killer tunes and knowing when to play them. The rest (beatmatching, tricks etc) are nice but not essential.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 22, 2007 12:02 pm

double yawn.

never heard that sentiment before.

.lm.

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 22, 2007 12:06 pm

leisuremuffin wrote: never heard that sentiment before.
That's because there happens to be a truth embedded in it.

If you constantly want to get into arguments about this on the interweb (y'know like putting it in your sig for example) you should perhaps ask yourself why you're so insecure about it. :wink:

Myself. I love DJing and I love hearing people DJ well (using whatever).

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 22, 2007 12:36 pm

why do you care? you're ageing, talentless, or have incredibly wack taste?

i like DJ's. even ones that just play tracks. and i respect it as an artform.

i'm just tired of all of the bullshit. at the end of the day, they're just playing other people's music. it's not even worth a discussion.

DJ culture is not the only part of electronic music.

DJs are not the only people who use live.

I'm fucking tired of hearing about DJs.

.lm.

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 22, 2007 12:38 pm

leisuremuffin wrote: I'm fucking tired of hearing about DJs.
Here's a hint: If there's "DJ" in the title of the thread I suggest you don't click on it.

:)