A Name for DJing with Ableton.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andydes

Post by andydes » Tue May 22, 2007 2:58 pm

robin wrote:
Rogue Scrunt wrote: I like to dj, but the prevailing attitude of most dj(i worked at record shops for years), is that of a pompous ass. 1 in 10 will be a cool genuine rperson, who loves music.
the other nine will be band wagoners.
Whilst I think you might be a little off with the ratio. I think you're right. I like DJing and hearing good djs but there is good and bad in this field as with any other.

One positive side effect of electronic dance music being so unpopular these days (in comparative terms), a lot of the bandwagoners have disappeared.
You think? I can hardly leave the house without stumbling across a new DJ bar, warehouse party set up or afterclub.

In fact, the underground dance scene seems to have slipped into the mainstream. Mulletover and secretsundaze parties are always advertised in the metro (free commuter paper). That's not right, I'll have to start going to squat parties soon.

As for the attitude of DJs, I've found most DJs I've met to be pretty decent. Certainly the ones who are successful to some degree, as they understand how fickle the business is.

The one’s who are most likely to give you grief for playing on a laptop are the ones who get slagged off themselves for not being real musicians. They’re just bitter. Ignore them.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:59 pm

Those who are really good at what they do probably don't worry about labels and titles.

Again, IMO, the tools are irrelevant. It's the end product that counts.

I for one couldn't give a f*ck about about what anyone thinks about how I do what I do...
Last edited by hambone1 on Tue May 22, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 22, 2007 3:06 pm

andydes wrote: You think? I can hardly leave the house without stumbling across a new DJ bar, warehouse party set up or afterclub.

In fact, the underground dance scene seems to have slipped into the mainstream. Mulletover and secretsundaze parties are always advertised in the metro (free commuter paper). That's not right, I'll have to start going to squat parties soon.
Things are a lot smaller than they used to be up here (Manchester). Records don't sell anywhere near the number of copies that they used to and packing a house/techno night out these days is very hard to do.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 pm

robin wrote:
Things are a lot smaller than they used to be up here (Manchester). Records don't sell anywhere near the number of copies that they used to and packing a house/techno night out these days is very hard to do.
Doesn't seem to be a problem down here. Certainly no shortage of techno and electro nights on. Think the hard part is getting a venue as there's so many would be DJs out there.

Mind you I haven't been involved in promoting a night myself. First public performance coming up, and on flyer duty this friday, so I guess I'll find out soon enough how difficult it is.

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 22, 2007 3:53 pm

andydes wrote:Doesn't seem to be a problem down here. Certainly no shortage of techno and electro nights on. Think the hard part is getting a venue as there's so many would be DJs out there.
I think there's a big difference between London and everywhere else in the UK in this respect.
First public performance coming up, and on flyer duty this friday, so I guess I'll find out soon enough how difficult it is.
Best of luck...

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue May 22, 2007 4:50 pm

Indeed, it appears we're behind the times. Hmmm.

Cheers. Sure I'll have something to say on here about it.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue May 22, 2007 6:52 pm

smutek wrote:Image

do those shirts actually exist?! i'd totally buy em :lol:

mister_doctor

Post by mister_doctor » Tue May 22, 2007 7:47 pm

My ex-roommate suggested starting with vinyl to better learn the flow of the DJing art-form. This is a guy who can pull a Jeff Mills playing on three decks at once. I'm glad he sugested it because I find it more intimate this way (it's the touching :wink: ).

When I go clubbing, the DJ in me can't help but observe what the guy is doing (unless I'm way too high to care). First time I saw a dj mix with a laptop(s) it was Ritchie Hawtin. Very unique set.

That's just it I guess. Most clubbers don't care, either cuz they love the music, or their too drunk/high, or both. Let me re-iterate everyone elses statement with an appropriate line:

"Enjoy yourself, bitches! It's a celebration!"

jaffadj

Post by jaffadj » Tue May 22, 2007 11:02 pm

Yeah I guess its different depending on the environment you're in - if you have the opportunity to be who you want to be, then good. But its not always possible. Here in NZ, its a small market. We djs and producers are dependent on other peoples perception.

An example: i play a regular slot on friday nights in a cheesy bar and i don't really have the choice as to what kind of music i play (pays some of the bills). I said to the owner i can play sets with my computer instead of decks. I even demoed it to him on a thursday morning at 10am to show him it can be better, i can put more effects in. He just laughed: "thats not proper djing mate, people will think you're doing the accounts there". Basically he wants people to come in his bar and think they've got a proper dj and to him that creates a club feel even tho the music is cheesy commercial shit (think abba, britney, madonna etc yes thats what i have to play)

i wish i could be my own man and play the music i like on the gear i want, but harsh reality of life: no. i can only use my computer and play what i want when i am not paid for it! Friends parties etc...

As for the djs that have made it, sure they can be arrogant twats but at the end of the day who cares - if i like them i don't care what kind of persons they are, a bit like sportstars or musicians. i love new order but i don't give a shit if Peter Hook or whoever is a total ar$e, as long as he's good and makes records i like... is PVD a pompous twat? I don't care, i listen to his sets and learn something every time