Route Midi Notes to Other Channels?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Davengeful

Route Midi Notes to Other Channels?

Post by Davengeful » Wed May 23, 2007 1:37 pm

Is it possible to route particular midi notes to other channels? I basically want to create a drum pattern in one channel, but individually route the notes to other channels... that would allow me to independently mix and add effect to each piece of the drum kit... I could compress the kick, EQ the snare, etc, and overall mimic the way a real multichannel board would track drums... kick to channel 1, snare to channel 2, hats to channel 3, etc. I used to use FL studio, and its built-in drum machine allowed you to assign each sound its own mixer track... I hoping to do that in Ableton. (I'm using version 5).
My life is spent in one long effort to escape the commonplaces of existence.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed May 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Routing each midi note to multiple channels is not possible in v5 AFAIK. But routing different drum sounds or tracks is possible in multiple ways.

1. Insert Impulse on a midi track. Then add up to 7 additional audio tracks. Set the Inputs of audio tracks to the Impulse midi track, and turn monitor to On (orange). Then for each track, you can choose the sub-drop-down and select each Impulse pad and process separately.

2. Use Simpler for each drum sound on separate tracks, and process them to taste.

Davengeful

Post by Davengeful » Sat May 26, 2007 7:25 pm

I finally got a chance to test out what you were telling me here. This is PERFECT! Exactly what I wanted. Thanks so much! This let's me control my drums much more tightly than using a single midi track for Impulse. Thanks for help, nebulae!
My life is spent in one long effort to escape the commonplaces of existence.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat May 26, 2007 7:34 pm

no problem, happy to help :)

looking forward to hearing how much tighter your drums are when you post your music.