Worst/most embarrassing performance moments

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
beats me

Worst/most embarrassing performance moments

Post by beats me » Fri May 25, 2007 4:18 pm

So I can stop reflecting on my own mistakes I thought it would be fun to hear about other people's most embarrassing performance moments that still make you cringe when you think about it. It doesn't even have to be music related. Maybe you are really bad in the bedroom or said something incredibly stupid.

Here's a short list of mine to get things started.

1. Half the things I post on here

2. I was once asked to write and perform a roughly 3 minute song at my uncle's ordination as a priest to a packed house of Catholics. This was before the days of Ableton and I used a keyboard's internal sequencer for the backing tracks to a piano patch I was playing live. The song got about a minute and a half in when the head priest gave me the "kill it" look. I had no plans for this. I had 2 options. Fade out or try to find the perfect moment to stop the sequence. Let me tell you, there is nothing quite like an abrupt silence when you hit the stop button in a crowded cathedral.

3. A different kind of "performance". I was at a club where DJ Garth was spinning and the decks were floor level with the dance floor. He was spinning a perfectly placed Chic's Good Times in his set and everybody was loving it. I was right next to the decks shaking my money maker when my arm went thusly causing the loudest scratch/skip combo I have ever heard. The crowd cheered and thought it was the greatest thing ever. That's when you know you've reached DJ greatness, when there is an obvious fuck up and they love you all the more for it. Most importantly he didn't get pissed at me or even give me an evil glance.

Your turn.

summersoul

Post by summersoul » Fri May 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Well, I remember one day I went through the entire song on vocals and did one of the best performances ever, then realized I had forgotten to switch the record button on!

Another time I kept getting feedback, that was kinda stressful lol

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri May 25, 2007 4:29 pm

Only 2 i can think off are:

- Laptop crashing second or third time using ablton - someone shouting from the crowd "he's got a virus" :lol:

- Djing at a club absolutely rat arsed drunk to about 400 people and 5 mins before i finished realizing id left a filter on during the whole set :oops: Fuck me, when the next dj turned it off the place went woooooooooooompppph.

:? :lol:

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri May 25, 2007 4:39 pm

My first industrial show...way way back. Tommy Lee was in the audience and my first song was called "Fix The system". I was playing a sample saying, "The system is Broken" when the sound just died. Somebody yelled out, "So is your Sampler" - never forget that!
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

nebulae

Re: Worst/most embarrassing performance moments

Post by nebulae » Fri May 25, 2007 4:43 pm

beats me wrote: 1. Half the things I post on here
Brutha, I got you beat by miles! Just ask any mofo on this forum LOL!
Image Image Image Image

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 25, 2007 4:51 pm

nebulae wrote:
beats me wrote: 1. Half the things I post on here
Brutha, I got you beat by miles! Just ask any mofo on this forum LOL!
You have paved the way for idiots like myself to post whatever moronic idea pops into my head.

I would also like to add countless times of going to start the next song, didn't realize I didn't load it yet, and the sequence from the previous song starts again. I think that's officially called the ASA (Ashley Simpson Affect).

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri May 25, 2007 4:54 pm

beats me wrote:You have paved the way for idiots like myself to post whatever moronic idea pops into my head.
This could easily be the greatest compliment I have ever received on this forum. I'm literally tearing up.

Live free, brutha....BE your inner moron.
Image Image Image Image

gort

Post by gort » Fri May 25, 2007 5:50 pm

i was guest drumming for a friend's band (2 pc electro laptop/synth group). they were opening for Funktorung. it was my debut with my roland v-drum kit (triggering battery on their laptop). i was only going to play one song. it took me forever to set up and lots of dudes were checking it out liike "whoa.. this is gonna be sweet! maybe..."

so.. the the track im to play on starts, i come in on drums.. WAY OFF BEAT. the monitors were so effin loud i couldnt hear shit other than my own ears bleeding. so my friend comes over from his laptop and starts visually counting with his fingers in front of me and the whole crowd: 1, 2, 3, 4.. 1, 2, 3, 4. !

sooo embarrassing. i walked off half way through the track, went into the band room and chris de luca from Funktorung was just straight up laughing his ass off at me!
hi-q hits and handclaps not holywars and hand grenades

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri May 25, 2007 5:52 pm

ok, that story deserves a nice big *hug*

props for sharing, and even more for not letting it beat you down
Image Image Image Image

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 25, 2007 6:02 pm

yes, *group hug* all around.

I hope everybody realizes that once they post their horror stories in here they can finally let go and move on with thier lives. You will no longer cry yourself to sleep every night. You can kick that drug or alcohol habit that started the night these events happened. Free yourselves. It's OK.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 25, 2007 6:06 pm

I was once involved in organising a warehouse party of around 1000 or more people, I ended up somehow being the middle man in a 'coffee' supply to most of the people there. We received a big thank you gift for this public service, unfortunately a friend and I consumed way, way, way too much complementary 'coffee'. Just a foolish amount. Just then someone found me and told me I was meant to be on stage.

I was full of 'inspiration'. I had genius ideas like playing huuge chromatic solos and parts of of songs from totally different bands I had been in.
I remember looking across at the face of one of the other guys in the band, his mouth open , staring at me in complete horror. I'll never forget that face. But at the time I thought - "man, you don't get me .. what I'm doing - it's a new fucking artform, I am a fucking GOD !!1!1! just check out THIS fucking solo!!!"

oddly, a few people told me after that it sounded like complete nightmare of shit. Weird that.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri May 25, 2007 6:35 pm

by "coffee" you don't mean coffee, right?
Image Image Image Image

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri May 25, 2007 6:39 pm

nebulae wrote:by "coffee" you don't mean coffee, right?
You are so Damn Hip Neb! I was guessing it's true meaning too..

COLUMBIAN coffee?

Or - coffee BEANS?

I have no clue
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Fri May 25, 2007 6:40 pm

passed out in my ex girls car 30 mins in to a 3 hour car drive back from a party, in the back seat next to her 2 irish work mates...were sisters! who were total stunning by the way

woke up
:?
fucking pissed myself and it was no dribble, a good 2 pints worth :(

:oops:

the shame!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:42 pm

Angstrom you rock!
---
I was part of an insane audiovisual performance up on a mountain in Colorado where we had a geodesic dome lined with small hexagonal screens, each of which had different video feeds going on, and the entire bottom half of the dome was wrapped in video screen..7 or 8 awesome VJ's mixing video, excellent quadrophonic sound, and 2 sick psytrance DJ's that played a tagteam banging set most of the night. Strangely there were probably less than 5 people there to experience it, outside of performers.

Anyway, I was offered a few drops of 'breath sweetener' around midnight, and I took them. The psytrance DJ's pretty much ripped everyone's face off, and the visuals were so out of control we were all floored. My breath was really really really fresh....so fresh I kept praying the DJ's would just forget I was supposed to play and play all night.

But alas, the ended their set around 4am. I had discussed the routing changeover with the soundguy earlier in the night, but by this point my breath was still so fresh that it took about 7 minutes of very uncomfortable silence while the changeover was made...the whole dome spinning, everyone rocking from the beats still going intheir minds, occasional moaning sounds from the lack of music. My face was red!

So we finally get my feed patched through, and I start a beat going (this is Live PA style). My breath is soo freaking fresh I can't get the screen to stop melting into itself. Ableton was a total mess visually. I must have had to stand there for 5 minutes trying to get my shit together while the "audience" suffered through the mind numbing repetition of a single kick drum the entire time. I finally got it together enough to play the worst set I've ever played in my life, complete with another 5 minute silence from the soundguy as he tries to get a better sound out of my signal, right as I'm getting my groove on for the only time of the night...what a huge letdown after the insane AV experience we all went through just prior to my set.

I will never have breath that fresh again while performing.