Worst/most embarrassing performance moments

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat May 26, 2007 9:12 am

Linkage to that tape!!!

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Sat May 26, 2007 9:57 am

Never. Even if someone in my family jokes about getting that tape out I start getting violent and flipping out. And it was over 20 years ago. :x

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sat May 26, 2007 10:24 am

Accidentally hitting another song's start button right before your band's most awesome and jaw dropping chorus kicks in is NOT good.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat May 26, 2007 1:48 pm

ChiDJ wrote:My first industrial show...way way back. Tommy Lee was in the audience and my first song was called "Fix The system". I was playing a sample saying, "The system is Broken" when the sound just died. Somebody yelled out, "So is your Sampler" - never forget that!
lol... yowch!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat May 26, 2007 5:11 pm

In college I played guitar in a grungy rock group but on the eve of the college battle of the bands in which we had a reasonable shot at winning 2000 dollars and 2 days in a recording studio, our bassist fell down the stairs after a night on the sauce and broke his arm, so I had to step in on bass (Jamie would do solo duty on guitar, which was fine).

Anyway, I borrowed the bass and the ampeg bass rig and rehearsals went fine with me as the sub bassist, so we were still feeling confident and got out on the stage in front of about 350 people and everything was going swimmingly for about 35 seconds until I had this 'rrrrrriipppp' sound *the strap broke) and then the bass fell out of my hands on to the stage, the neck just broke in two and this horrendous wall of harmonic distortion screeched around the hall for about 4 seconds, then, no shit, the ampeg amplifier blew ,'boom' and caught on fire, leading to everyone having to be hastily evacuated while some dude ran in with the fire extinguisher... needless to say, we did not win the prize and to boot, didn't have any insurance and I didn't have any money, so I ended up having to pawn my guitar and amp to pay for the bass being fixed and a new bass rig and leave the band.... oh happy days of college rock !!

After that I REALLY got into playing synths and doing home recordings... :D
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat May 26, 2007 9:07 pm

And the other most embarrasing thing I did was fall headfirst into a pile of elephant poo in the middle of Leeds city centre on a crowded Saturday afternoon, I was late to catch my train, so was hitailing it through the crowd at rapid speed and there just happened to be a celebration of indian culture going on, bollywood galore, women in fancy saris, sword jugglers etc. In my haste, I tripped over the kerb and landed head first in a huge pile of freshly laid elephant droppings left behind by 'Rani' the Indian elephant, much to the amusement of several dozen bystanders... the positive note was that on the crowded train ride back home, I got the double seat to myself, for some strange reason, nobody seemed to want to quit standing and sit down beside me, still minging from the elephant poo :D
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Sat May 26, 2007 9:56 pm

For me probably the first real gig I played, big warehouse party in San Francisco, 400 people all costumed up and three sheets to the wind at 4 in the morning when I finally get up to the technics.....and I just couldn't hold the music in focus, too nervous, I am not talking about beat matching, just selecting proper tracks and fading properly...everybody's looking at me like, who is this guy, he doesn't look like he knows what he's doing. I had never even been to a real party before, much less tried to DJ one! (Mind you, people had been preparing for this party for months.)

They were right; I didn't know what I was doing. Ehhh....those were the days. :oops:

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Sat May 26, 2007 11:23 pm

omfg, leedsquietman, you had a hilarious life

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat May 26, 2007 11:58 pm

I cant think of anything TERRIBLY embarrassing really

I guess my first time DJing at a party was mildly embarrassing, because well... I was a nervous wreck and everything I'd learned in my room about beatmatching and transitions just kind of vanished into thin air :lol:

But I think that's happened to everyone at least at some point in their lives, so that barely qualifies as a valid addition to this thread. Sorry. :(

Some hilarious shit going on here though guys. Keep the stories rolling :P

bragi0

Post by bragi0 » Sun May 27, 2007 12:14 am

I've suffered the standard embarassing DJ monents and they were recurring ones. Pulling off the best mix of my life in the headphones, only to realise that the crossfader was turned on and only on one channel :oops:

Or picking up the wrong record after mixing through to it :oops:

Or letting my headphone lead dangle across the mixer, turn around to get a record and pull all the faders to zero :oops:

All those are covered by some sage advice from a friend when I started. "No matter what, you meant to do that". Stick your hands in the air, shout, look like you're having the time of your life and throw the music back in... the munters love it :D

Most embarrassing? Probably the time my drink was spiked just before I went on. A pretty girl handed me a drink, I sipped it, said "that tastes awful", then downed it. Twenty minutes later I could hardly stand up. I kept forgetting I was DJing [I'd given up on trying to do my actual Ableton based gig, waaay too complex for my state]. I'd be standing there with the headphones on, bouncing up and down in a wobbly fashion, thinking "This DJ is shiite! He can't even beatmatch"... just after I'd put the next track on, but before I'd done more than hit play and put the needle down 8) Apparently I kept running around the front of the DJ booth with my headdies on and dancing with everone.

It was a mess. Well, I thought it was a mess. According to the promoter all the punters loved it, and it can't have been too bad, I played an extra three hours [last set at that venue] so those spiked drinks must have been doing the rounds :lol:

I was mortally embarrassed about it, and called the promoter then next day to apologise.

To top it off, the pretty girl who'd given me the drink, and was all over me while I was attempting to play.... well, she went to the after party, only I was in such a bad way I completely forgot where the after party was, and ended up with some of my mates in kings cross at an electro gig.

Worst night ever. :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun May 27, 2007 1:51 am

I hope we all feel a lot closer now.

I once DJed on a 4 channel mixer where you have to set which channels are contolled by the crossfader. I thought the left side of the crossfader was set to channel 1 but it was set to channel 2. So with the channel fader set at the optimum level I'm standing there cueing up tracks and beatmatching and not realizing that it's not just in my headphones but also coming out of the speakers for everybody to hear. The worst part is my friends were standing right there and didn't bother to tell me for a good 20 minutes because they were so hammered that they thought I was doing some really fucked up mashups or something. Thanks friends! Since then I've decided to mix without using the crossfader at all and just use the channel faders.

Has anybody been so high that you went and sat with a group of people that you don't know assuming they are as high as a kite too (and that's what you do) only to realize after a couple of minutes of odd stares that they aren't high (or high as you) and wonder why the fuck you are sitting with them with a stupid grin on your face? No? Me neither.

Monkey Mouse

Post by Monkey Mouse » Sun May 27, 2007 4:28 pm

Once when I was with this hot chick, I stuck it in the wrong hole (and didn't notice) - very embarassing, but the performance went on.....

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun May 27, 2007 5:25 pm

Monkey Mouse wrote:Once when I was with this hot chick, I stuck it in the wrong hole (and didn't notice) - very embarassing, but the performance went on.....
I would think there was a smell issue that might have tipped you off...
Image Image Image Image

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Sun May 27, 2007 8:34 pm

beats me wrote:
Has anybody been so high that you went and sat with a group of people that you don't know assuming they are as high as a kite too (and that's what you do) only to realize after a couple of minutes of odd stares that they aren't high (or high as you) and wonder why the fuck you are sitting with them with a stupid grin on your face? No? Me neither.
No, never.

Angstrom's story is the best :D

jaffadj

Post by jaffadj » Sun May 27, 2007 10:07 pm

Yeah agree Angstrom story is pretty good

I have a few times for people who are gonna perform live... based on my own mishaps

1. do not accept CDs/vinyls from strangers on the night. I did once. "Can you play this mate?" (bear in mind i'm a commercial dj, not a superstar who only plays what he/she likes). I say ok, pretty famous record (disanchanted by the communards, dance remix, fits in well with my brief which is playing dancey pop tunes to mr and mrs average in a high street bar on a Friday nite), listen to the intro bars on the headphones to see how to cue it in, seems straightforward enough. So I cue it in after a suitable track, all goes well, smooth transition, take out the previous record out of the other CDJ, and start chilling out looking at the crowd and looking for the next record. All of a sudden the track stops and this rap tune comes on with weird and really really offensive “lyrics” (well, someone talking really loud) about pedophilia, maiming people etc. Crowd stops, everyone looks shocked, I see the bar managers face eith mouth wide open, I’m too stunned to do anytgin, I’m so shocked too I don’t stop the CD – I’m left here speechless and motionless. Eventually some of the crowd starts to abuse me, that gives me a kick up the arse and I stop the CD, puts another one in the other CDJ, faffs around the mixer controls to play it out (takes me ages as I’m shaking)
Found out weeks later that the dude who gave me the cd had something against that particular bar and recorded that shit on purpose. Anyway, I was sacked from that particular night which was a bummer as it was turning into a regular paying job for me.

2. beware of pretty girls. I was halfway thru a set at a good warehouse party 2 years ago, where the dj booth is just about half a meter raised from the dancefloor. I was doing really well, the crowd was enjoying the shit I was playing, I was enjoying it too, and this girl had been dancing all the time in front of me, you know the sort, anyway she signs that she wants to come over to the dj booth, it happens a lot but anyway she was a stunner so I said yes come along (stupid I know but hey we’re only human), so she does go round the side of the booth and as she steps onto the raised booth she trips over the cable that goes from the mixer to the amp and that had stupidly been left hanging. Cables gets off, sound just stops (but not before a big feedback return type sound that kills the ears of everyone in the room). Now I’ve got a mate in the audience that swears that what the crowd then saw was this blonde girl just picking herself up from the floor right in front of me, looking to all intents and purposes as if she’s just been giving me a blowjob and running out of the booth. I got a big round of applause and shouts of encouragements which embarrassed me even more, it took me a while to get everything going again

Numerous other technical fuck-ups but these are the 2 that sticks to my memory