Evolution UC-33 midi layout layers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
memes_33

Evolution UC-33 midi layout layers

Post by memes_33 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:28 pm

So I'm hoping someone here has a quick answer for me. I am running out of knobs on my M-Audio Evolution UC-33e and, rather than buying another controller, I was wondering if there is a way to layer MIDI commands. In other words, I would like to push a button and instead of the faders representing track volume (my default), I want them to represent effects sends. Basically, I want the functionality of 2 midi controllers to be combined into this unit and to be able to toggle back and forth between controller layouts (in this example, to be able to toggle back and forth between my faders being track volume and effects sends). This seems like it would be really easy to do, but haven't been able to find anything in the manuals to do so. I realize this is not strictly a ableton live question, but i figured this would be a good place to start as this is a common controller for live users. Thanks!

ronmen

Re: Evolution UC-33 midi layout layers

Post by ronmen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:39 am

i got the same question as memes:

Does anybody know if the UC-33 provide kind of layer to provide "a 2nd pair of the 33 knobs and 8 faders" ar the "same" time ?

Is it possible to remote two devices with the UC-33?

thank you so much
ron

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Easy answer: change to a different preset layout.

The complexities: sometimes the different layouts have conflicting controls, but some of the layouts have the controller laid out entirely with controls on the 'global midi channel'. While others have specific midi channels. Some even use channels 1-8 or 9-16 per-column kind of like a channel mixed.

Best solution: find a preset where all the controls are on a Global Channel, and then when you run out of controls to map to, change the global midi channel on the controller.

Also: you can move the layouts/presets around so that the first four presets are all nice easy to work with layouts. THEN you can use the quick-access buttons (1 2 3 4) to access between those 4 layouts.

ronmen

Post by ronmen » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:16 am

wauw yur2die4 - thanks for the fast & explicitly answer!!

are there any differeences purchasing the UC33e - I have heard of more genration and kind different signal behavior (?)

thanks and all the best
ron

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:19 am

I can't say for sure. But, I think that in the past they were known as Evolution brand devices.

Then M-Audio was the brand, and they had the e retained in the name for some odd reason.

If I'm not mistaken there was also a keyboard and a dj style mixer under the evolution name.