UK hiphop history lesson oneoneoneone...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kramer

Post by kramer » Thu May 31, 2007 9:06 pm

Tone Deft wrote:But umm, your posts are generally negative, telling people that what they're posting about sucks. That's a common method of getting people riled up because someone is going to defend the other side and *bam* flame war.
I disagree. Most of what I post doesn't start any flame wars because people don't usually have a good argument against it. I just give my opinion. Can I help it if my opinion tends to be contrary to the norm? I think it can help a discussion. Like say...there's a thread with a bunch of amplitube fanboys just sittin' 'round and praising the virtues of amplitube....someone has to represent the legitimate opinion that amplitube does not sound all that great in many aplications.

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu May 31, 2007 9:08 pm

There's no words for how lame that was. I guess it's ok with the volume on mute.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 31, 2007 9:10 pm

kramer wrote:
piZMo wrote:you're right kramer US hiphop is played out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J4hkyCs ... ed&search=
Well ....as an American who's been in to hip-hop for 25 years...I probably have a different perspective. We could argue all day... but chances are my opinion is at least somewhat relevant on this topic and you might not want to completely discount it. Just sayin'......
When did MTV start showing videos??

A lot of people still look at the late 80s/early 90s as the best rap music. The vibe is still around, KRS One is still doing it and there's crews like People Under The Stairs and Jurassic 5 still on the scene.

regardless Hip Hop is probably more relevant than ever, it's in the media everywhere, commercials, music for movies, fashion, slang, even f-ing Karl Rove was rapping.

Digging this Nextman track, I've heard Rodney P through some DJ Cam releases, great stuff.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 31, 2007 9:12 pm

contemporary music....

usually, the pure form of a genre is 'made in the USA', then it gets to Europe and gets a little euro-flavour.
Generally I have always preferred the American version of things...(sad but true) ,it sounds more free... Don't ask me why...
(although I love roots manuva, ttc, new flesh etc.)
basically rockn'roll/Rhythm n' blues/jazz (notice the n') influenced the whole world and continues to this day .
todays pop music is mostly based on blues scales.
but blues/reggae/soul music would not have been born if it wasn't for the days of slavery...so I guess the Europeans had something to do with creating the scenery for that...
:?

as a musician you basically either go 'classical' or 'contemporary'.(which break down to sub-genres)
even mentioning kraftwerk(which I adore) does not hold a candle to the amount of quality music/musicians that came out of the US .
(I will never forgive the Euro community for creating that awful awful euro-pop sound. )
the british got credit for the beatles, discovering jimi and for the punk revolution
...but the beatles were listening to motown, Jimi played crazy blues, and punk in no way originated in britain...it comes from NY.
and face it 99% of every commercial genre anywhere is garbage , 1% is gold.
The 4 track and then 8 track recorders+ the first mixing desks were all made in the USA.

the europeans are responsible for the great masterpieces in classical music... and the arts... which were made to satisfy royalty, power and the church...and had to portrait power discipline and complexity....and were made to create awe...
While simple folk were making music to lift their spirits and connect to the elements/god....on a more personal level (people dancing around the fire...)
europe was never much for freeform up until the days.... they let some dark skinned people in....
Today I see a Global Renaissance of all the arts. the amount of information shared due to modern technology,and immigration will make this one heck of a decade for artists....

of course there are always exceptions but that's the big picture as I see it.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Thu May 31, 2007 9:13 pm

kramer wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:But umm, your posts are generally negative, telling people that what they're posting about sucks. That's a common method of getting people riled up because someone is going to defend the other side and *bam* flame war.
I disagree. Most of what I post doesn't start any flame wars because people don't usually have a good argument against it. I just give my opinion. Can I help it if my opinion tends to be contrary to the norm? I think it can help a discussion. Like say...there's a thread with a bunch of amplitube fanboys just sittin' 'round and praising the virtues of amplitube....someone has to represent the legitimate opinion that amplitube does not sound all that great in many aplications.
I think you just contrive, and STRIVE, to be the guy in the other corner. That it to say, I think you love to argue, about anything, because in the real world you're so devoid of personality that to make yourself feel better you come on here and lash out. You attack anything that takes your fancy, setting up lil ad-hominem arguments against other people, until they get all pissed off.

Then you sit back and chuckle your face off into a bowl of ice-cream.

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Thu May 31, 2007 9:14 pm

and this ones for comedy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19G-HVBGKEw

chrysalis33rpm

Re: UK hiphop history lesson oneoneoneone...

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Thu May 31, 2007 9:16 pm

piZMo wrote:thought some people might like to check this, UK MC pays homage to the players that paved the way...

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=909936474
that was cool thanks

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu May 31, 2007 9:16 pm

Tone Deft wrote: regardless Hip Hop is probably more relevant than ever, it's in the media everywhere, commercials, music for movies, fashion, slang, even f-ing Karl Rove was rapping.
OK....you're right. Hip-hop is more commercially relevant than ever....but on the same token that's the same shit that's robbed hip-hop of it's soul and why I can rarely get in to any of it anymore. It's just like classic rock.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 31, 2007 9:18 pm

kramer wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: regardless Hip Hop is probably more relevant than ever, it's in the media everywhere, commercials, music for movies, fashion, slang, even f-ing Karl Rove was rapping.
OK....you're right. Hip-hop is more commercially relevant than ever....but on the same token that's the same shit that's robbed hip-hop of it's soul and why I can rarely get in to any of it anymore. It's just like classic rock.
And check what happened to punk rock. OUCH!
I've gotten over the stigma of classic rock, crank up Houses Of The Holy, burn one down and try not to vomit on the mullet while I'm chilling out in the back of the El Camino.

I have conversations with a lot of people that there aren't any good bands anymore, I tend to agree but I'd hate to give up.

kramer - put up some youtubes of rap you do like.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu May 31, 2007 9:24 pm

Amberience wrote:
I think you just contrive, and STRIVE, to be the guy in the other corner. That it to say, I think you love to argue, about anything, because in the real world you're so devoid of personality that to make yourself feel better you come on here and lash out. You attack anything that takes your fancy, setting up lil ad-hominem arguments against other people, until they get all pissed off.

I assure you that you are completely wrong about most of what you said. It is quite possible that I am devoid of personality but the rest of what you said is wrong.

I've always thought making personality assessments about others based on how they behave on an internet forum is really weird. I wouldn't profess to know anything about how any of you are in real life.

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu May 31, 2007 9:29 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
kramer wrote:
And check what happened to punk rock. OUCH!
I've gotten over the stigma of classic rock, crank up Houses Of The Holy, burn one down and try not to vomit on the mullet while I'm chilling out in the back of the El Camino.

I have conversations with a lot of people that there aren't any good bands anymore, I tend to agree but I'd hate to give up.

kramer - put up some youtubes of rap you do like.
Welll...like I said...I'm not really in to hip-hop anymore...but I guess I likes me some Immortal Technique
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WA_xXWSXyFI

and I still listen to some various Project Blowed type stuff...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LUJUajiNEdY

you know...aceyalone, freestyle fellowship and all that. LA fool.

I'm old.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Thu May 31, 2007 9:30 pm

kramer wrote:
Amberience wrote:

I assure you that you are completely wrong about most of what you said. It is quite possible that I am devoid of personality but the rest of what you said is wrong.

I've always thought making personality assessments about others based on how they behave on an internet forum is really weird. I wouldn't profess to know anything about how any of you are in real life.
Well I don't think it is weird, it is called extrapolation. But it doesn't give you an unflawed result like a hardcore calculation can.

You can take a snapshot of what someone is like from the way they type, but there are definite problems with doing this.

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu May 31, 2007 9:33 pm

Tone Deft wrote:crank up Houses Of The Holy, burn one down and try not to vomit on the mullet while I'm chilling out in the back of the El Camino.
Holy shit....I think you're my neighbor. Don....is that you?

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu May 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Amberience wrote:
You can take a snapshot of what someone is like from the way they type, .
That's not a good thing to believe. One could argue that thinking things like that even borders on insanity. It also opens you up to being played when you think you know more than you do.

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Thu May 31, 2007 9:37 pm

Can't believe no one's weighed in with this lot yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv-2XYOtgCg

Best of Welsh... ;)
Last edited by monkeyboy on Thu May 31, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kit: Sony Vaio E-series laptop (Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM) RemoteZero SL, Launchpad, Akai MPD16 drumpad, cheap-ass MIDI keyboard