Eager to start,,, Live newbee.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Homebelly

Eager to start,,, Live newbee.

Post by Homebelly » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Okay,,
I know how tiresome these kinds of topics can be,, some idiot newbee that doesn't want to read the manual or take the time to learn the program,, :roll:
But,,,
I wanna get on with stuff, so i was hoping some one might just answer a couple of questions that i still have lingering after doing just that.
First,, when using the freeze function, am i understanding this correctly,, i have a choice of levels?,, Am i able to tell Live which plugs i want to freeze and which i don't?
Second,, am i able to freeze and then level a multi out VST/AU onto separate tracks,,say,, impulse Battery or similar?
third,, When freezing a clip that has a delay or reverb,, does the freeze take into consideration the delay or reverb tail?

Okay,,
That should be it for now,,,
cheers,,,
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. First and foremost, I think you'll find a lot more help here if you help us help you. And by that, I mean that you should be willing to do some ground work and read up a little bit. The learning curve isn't steap, but there are a few things you need to do on your own.

Second, have you paid for the software? We're not into warez here.

Third, regarding freezing, yes, Live's freeze will take into account a reverb tail if the reverb is an insert. If it's a clip, Live will freeze the tail into the loop and you'll have an endless loop with reverb built in. As for freezing, it's done on a per-track basis, not on a plugin basis.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:43 pm

Yup!!
All bought and paid for,,
I've been doing this stuff for a long time,,
PT,, and Logic,,
I'm well versed in reading manuals and trawling forums,,
I'm active on sonikmatter and was a long time contributer and co-conspiritor on the N-I forums,,I know how it is dealing with the silly and the lazy,,
Just looking for a leg up is all,,,, :wink:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:45 pm

ok cool, bro, then we're happy to help (well at least I am :) ... just didn't want to have another noob who's all "I'm too farkin' lazy to learn anything...how do I produce tarnce" :)

So what else can I help you with?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:47 pm

oh one other thing...you can choose between freeze and flatten. freeze is the first step, where you can still move clips around, but basically, you've rendered a .wav/.aiff file of the virtual instrument or the effect inserts on a track, and you can unfreeze and make edits and re-freeze...once you flatten, there's no going back.

Often, what I do is I take a track and create a duplicate. Then in the original, I turn off all synths/effects. Then I'll freeze and flatten the duplicate. That way, I can mess with the rendered .wav for further processing, yet I can still go back to the original track if I want.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Cool,,
So freeze will still allow me to modify the over laying track/clip automation and even shift the clip loop forward or backward in time,,
but not the actual plugin automation?
In other word,It has nothing to do with being able to choose levels of actual freeze,, whats on the track or in the clip gets frozen but it still remainds a clip in the same sense that an audio clip is also a clip.
If i have this right,, am i then also able to bypass or add new FX to a frozen clip with out unfreezing?

How about the ability to freeze multi out AU/Vst's onto seperate tracks/clips,, for example, if i level a multi out,, will it transform the additional inputs into actual AIFF files,, or am i limited to just freezing and leveling stereo or mono instances?
If i am,, is there a faster than real time way of bouncing multi out instruments other than bussing them to audio tracks?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:53 pm

hmm, good questions - I haven't tried any of those things...how about you do a quick test and report back for my benefit this time?

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 am

nebulae wrote:hmm, good questions - I haven't tried any of those things...how about you do a quick test and report back for my benefit this time?
You given up :wink:
I have a list of things i want to try,, i'll be jumping all over Live this weekend,, the point of this post was to get a head start on the plumming aspect as it's a little different to how Logic Pro,, my main sequencer,, works,, plus,, there are so many intuative ellements to live that i've kinda taken for granted that some things might be there but i don't know where to look,,
Any hoo,,,
I'll report back with what i find,,, 8)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:49 am

Homebelly wrote:
nebulae wrote:hmm, good questions - I haven't tried any of those things...how about you do a quick test and report back for my benefit this time?
You given up :wink:
I have a list of things i want to try,, i'll be jumping all over Live this weekend,, the point of this post was to get a head start on the plumming aspect as it's a little different to how Logic Pro,, my main sequencer,, works,, plus,, there are so many intuative ellements to live that i've kinda taken for granted that some things might be there but i don't know where to look,,
Any hoo,,,
I'll report back with what i find,,, 8)
Nope, I haven't given up at all. One of the things you'll realize about me is that I'm very direct...in this case, I really don't know and I expect you to find out for me...give and take :) So go find out, brutha! Then ask more questions, and I'll help you to the best I can...and hopefully, I'll learn a few things too :)