Wusikstation Group Buy! Check this one out...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bgone

Wusikstation Group Buy! Check this one out...

Post by bgone » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:42 am

Damn...don't know if anyone already announced this here, but I just got an email from the makers of Wusikstation and they are having an insane group buy deal. If they reach the target, anyone who signed up, gets Wusikstation V3 for a $1.95...I'm usually sceptical of Group buys, but 2 bucks is pretty minimal risk for a $99.00 VST instrument. You can find all the details here:

http://www.wusik.com/w/wsgb.html

Cheers,

B

MidiMonk

Post by MidiMonk » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:20 am

cool idea, too bad its windoze only :roll:

Ian F

Post by Ian F » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:10 am

Really ..... what are the chances of getting 150,000 new users.

Maybe Im wrong but IMO its just a shady tactic to suck more people in to the Wusik camp and get them to pay the full $$.

And the ones that dont get sucked in....they still keep the 2$ entry fee

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:15 am

0-149,999 users - $ 99.95 USD (no discount)

150,000 > users - $ 1.95 USD (98% discount)
LAME!

trip_out

Post by trip_out » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:25 am

IMHO WilliamK has shot himself in the foot with regards his pricing strategies. His constant round of promos and group buys in my mind just devalues the product. Don't get me wrong here, it is a great product and he truely is a really nice guy, but I still could never get over when I bought a heavily promoted last chance 'bargain pre-order' for v3 just before it came out, and then he promptly dropped prices further with another even better special offer. And then an even better one... and then...

This is why I like the u-he strategy of one time pre-order offers only, as it stops the second guessing about whether it is a good offer or not. The same with Vember audio and others.

This all being said, wusik is a nice instrument, the developer is really friendly (as are the community), and I definately wouldn't mind it for $2!

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:04 am

well when you buy pc hardware, 6 months later, it costs half the price... so I don't care if a product I buy will lower its price, I just consider how much I need it, and if I can afford the cuurent price. simple equation.

gnapier

Post by gnapier » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:10 am

MidiMonk wrote:cool idea, too bad its windoze only :roll:
Nope. Check this out:

http://www.wusik.com/w/wsmacgb.html

trip_out

Post by trip_out » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:15 am

Silicon/Silicium wrote:well when you buy pc hardware, 6 months later, it costs half the price... so I don't care if a product I buy will lower its price, I just consider how much I need it, and if I can afford the cuurent price. simple equation.
In many ways I agree and I must stress I don't want to put people off Wusik - it is a great synth/workstation. But say if at NAMM Ableton announced a pre-order special, say 30% off, gave a countdown and everything - everyone here probably would buy up and be really happy at the bargain they got for supporting their favourite software. Then at launch Ableton said, right good news - 50% off sale! Would you not feel a little pissed off and dare I say betrayed?

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 am

I would certainly feel betrayed in a way, but now I tend to think a bit differently. I simply pay the price I estimate "right". We all could use "cracked" software, so for me paying is not buying something, but giving some fair amount of money to respect the coders/developpers work. Do you feel betrayed when your laptop cost half the price you paid for 10 months later?? me too :wink:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Muchos LAME ... :x

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Hmmm... Just noticed that I have to pay for a Mac version, even though I own the full version of Wusikstation 3 for PC.

That's fucking crap if you ask me. Sure it is only 20 dollars, so for the price of a pizza I could get it. But its the damn principle.

When you buy Ableton Live you get Windows and MacOSX.
When you buy Reason you get Windows and MacOSX.
When you buy Reaper you get Windows and MacOSX (albeit the MacOSX is still in its early stages)
When you buy anything from Native Instruments you get Windows and MacOSX.
When you buy Cubase 4 you get Windows and MacOSX.

There just isn't much of a precedent set for charging a fee to go between Windows and Mac. And charging for a "crossgrade" ... most level headed people would agree that going from Windows to MacOSX on the same software isn't really a crossgrade. A crossgrade is usually when you go over to a product from a completely seperate product and company. Not the same company and the same product.

As a Wusikstation owner, I'm quite disappointed by the standards set by the company.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:09 pm

I agree on that point.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Uber Lame... :evil:

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:00 am

150000 copies? that seems pretty unlikely to me, given the numbers on other group buys I've participated in, even if it will last until december. For instance, LUG has had a bunch of successful group buys, and the best one was 464 signups for cameleon. I suppose if you join in this group buy what you have to trust in is this:
"What happens if after December 10th, 2007 you don't reach over 150,000 users?"

We will send a new email to all those who joined the GB and paid the $ 1.95 fee, offering a discount towards the full version. Keep in mind that will not refund any GB entry fee for users that decide not to purchase anything from us.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:54 pm

tylenol wrote:150000 copies? that seems pretty unlikely to me, given the numbers on other group buys I've participated in, even if it will last until december. For instance, LUG has had a bunch of successful group buys, and the best one was 464 signups for cameleon. I suppose if you join in this group buy what you have to trust in is this:
"What happens if after December 10th, 2007 you don't reach over 150,000 users?"

We will send a new email to all those who joined the GB and paid the $ 1.95 fee, offering a discount towards the full version. Keep in mind that will not refund any GB entry fee for users that decide not to purchase anything from us.
So they're basically banking on people being gullible enough to go for it, since they make at least a dollar on each person who joins. If 400 people pay $1.95, and only 12 of them go through with their purchase.. then Wusik has still made $400 on top of those 12 sales.