wahhhhhhh, i want my MPC back :(

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
audiojet

Post by audiojet » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:39 am

This is the craziest topic I have read here. I see it alot....it's crazy. Let me put it to you like this. My friend of 5 years used to work for AKAI and passed down to me some info about the samplers (and mostly any sampler to that effect). They are small computers. They just have less flexablilty than personal computers, meaning: they have a static use... play samples by cue. If your computer sounds like shit... you need a better sound card. The AKAI samplers a great because they are specialized peices of equipment and were much more portable than computers before laptops came down in price.

The answer: Whatever suites you best. Both play samples by pressing buttons. Anything above that is fanboy bias.

Caymus Cab

Post by Caymus Cab » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:55 am

+1 to that.
Ableton 8

mercyplease

Re: wahhhhhhh, i want my MPC back :(

Post by mercyplease » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:21 am

dango wrote:just thought i would bitch about it and give the advice that anyone that is going to sell their MPC or any other piece of hardware, think twice, think long and hard before you regret it. i am having to go buy another one now next week.

fact: computers play samples like shit. dedicated samplers like an MPC have a much crisper punchier sound.

i thought i would sell my mpc and just use kontakt and impulse for drums and stuff, but man the drums sound shit coming out of the computer. same samples, no effects just the samples do not sound as good. that sucks. i have done side by side comparrisons. the dedicated audio engine in hardware must be the factor.

reason for the rant? just spent an hour and half making a track at the music shop on their mpc :( told em i owuld be back in three days to get one again.

so think twice b4 you sell.

d~
I bought an MPC about six months ago. its the reason i am rarely here these days.
HA HA HA :twisted:

Tone Deft

Re: wahhhhhhh, i want my MPC back :(

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:34 am

mercyplease wrote:I bought an MPC about six months ago. its the reason i am rarely here these days.
+1 for the mpc :twisted:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:37 am

-1 for people.

I take back my earlier comments.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:59 am

since ive purchased a mv 8800,machine drum and monomachine ive sold live.

J.Daniels

Post by J.Daniels » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:29 pm

it took like a roughly $3500 setup to justify selling a $500 piece of software?

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:38 pm

john gordon wrote:since ive purchased a mv 8800,machine drum and monomachine ive sold live.
the 88 is insane.

franknputer

Post by franknputer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:19 pm

kb420 wrote:
tamtam wrote:
sherlock wrote:Sound different? No shit... 8O
Waveforms look different zoomed to 1 1/2 minutes than zoomed to 10+ minutes?
Congratulaions, you solved the case!
Not quite. The time zoom doesn't make a difference. The db meter is all that matters. If you take a look, the Live mp3 has some clipping above 0 db's, but most of the Mpc mp3 is above 0 db's.
Thank you, kb420. The horizontal plane is irrelevant - the (identical) vertical plane is what matters, and you can easily tell that the entire waveform from the MPC track is clipped all to hell.

[Edited to remove rude comment...showing off one's ignorance is embarrassing enough.]
Last edited by franknputer on Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:03 pm

i import from MPC to Live and never seen such clipped wav. Sorry but this example seems weird.
MPC is definitely not great sounding, FX are horrible worse then cheap guitar pedals from 80s. It is it sounds right for certain stuff- mainly drums. and even those only some type, there is nothing high end of any kind about it, contrary, as MPC user I am not at all into MPC sounding particulary punchy, great,better or whatever.
And I absolutely agree with everyone saying that you can get punchier, better, worse, distorted simply any kind of sounds with 1001 available softwares- and if someone is desperate for it something probably very close to it, question would be what for?.
The relationship between player actually banging the pads that sound as they do is different story, it is like instrument, feeling it under your finger tips etc
Buying MPC because it sounds better.... hmmm, OK if you believe it is so.
Work flow, tight drum, rhythm machine yes all the way.
It took me some experimenting to realise what I must never try with MPC because it sounds shit. Use it for some drums, basses, Rhodes, vibes few other things, anything rich in overtones you can forget.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:16 pm

rikhyray wrote:i import from MPC to Live and never seen such clipped wav. Sorry but this example seems weird.
MPC is definitely not great sounding, FX are horrible worse then cheap guitar pedals from 80s. It is it sounds right for certain stuff- mainly drums. and even those only some type, there is nothing high end of any kind about it, contrary, as MPC user I am not at all into MPC sounding particulary punchy, great,better or whatever.
who was talking about high-end ? no one, as far as I can see. just DIFFERENT. one person's "sounds horrible" is another person's "punchy"

jeez, people illustrate a preference for an inferior ad/da and people go wild "thats not high-end!"

I'm happy you like the workflow, you should leave it at that...if someone likes the sound coming out of the mpc over his/her computer....so be it.

I like the sounds coming out of a korg es1 (mkI) , and thats a rubbish ad/da, with a crumby 32hz sampling rate....but its the shitbomb banana at sounding like it does.
which is "rubbish"...and certainly not "high end" ....so when I say I like the sound, dont get it into your head I must mean its a hi-fidelity machine, the work flow is OK...but i just like its toy-ish, inferior-ish, rubbish ad/das
spreader of butter

dango

Post by dango » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:31 pm

rikhyray wrote:i import from MPC to Live and never seen such clipped wav. Sorry but this example seems weird.
MPC is definitely not great sounding,
interesting, i can swear i remember you strongly backing the MPC in another thread.

what ever, you like it or you don't. me, i like it and regret selling it. it is a nicer way to work, i get as lot more done using it, and the first end result sounds to me a lot better than anything i render out of live. if it is not that way for you than good, rock on with live and keep making beats.
ince ive purchased a mv 8800,machine drum and monomachine ive sold live.
do you attach an external monitor to the 8800, i was looking at those and they look pretty sweet, the reviews are really good as well. if you were to add a moog to that mix it would be my ideal set up.

i can not do any side by side audio comparrisons now, i have not got my mpc back yet. (really don't care to do them anyway) have to wait until next paycheck for my big commission. but now am considering that 8800. looks sweet especially with an external hooked up.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:36 pm

I simply mean that both sides are right- from their points of view., MPC sounds good when you know how and for what use it. Do it like the fellow from the wav pics, screwing the levels, throw some cheesy FXs and it will sound like shit. If you pay attention at all stages, starting from samples preparation, you may get tight results despite its dated technology.
I like the idea of 8800 but not its 16/44.1, if it supported 24 I would be using it right now. If MPC 4000 was bug less and a quarter of size and weight....

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:01 pm

tjwett wrote:
john gordon wrote:since ive purchased a mv 8800,machine drum and monomachine ive sold live.
the 88 is insane.
im really looving it.i dont care if it sounds better or not.me personally,im getting more done and being produtive again.i love how it chops stuff stuff out and lays it across the pads for you.i hope roland updates the software in it as regularly as they did the mv 8000.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:04 pm

rikhyray wrote:I simply mean that both sides are right- from their points of view., MPC sounds good when you know how and for what use it. Do it like the fellow from the wav pics, screwing the levels, throw some cheesy FXs and it will sound like shit. If you pay attention at all stages, starting from samples preparation, you may get tight results despite its dated technology.
I like the idea of 8800 but not its 16/44.1, if it supported 24 I would be using it right now. If MPC 4000 was bug less and a quarter of size and weight....
at first the 16/44 thing bothered me,but then i thought if its good enough for RZA then its good enough for a wanker like myself..