Live and Korg Kaoss Pad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FrankH

Post by FrankH » Sat May 18, 2002 9:32 pm

Hello all,

I have been offline for some day's, but here i am.

> that means you're using CH1 through 14 for track specific parameters: but you say you have 24 tracks, so how do you edit the track specific paramters of track 15 to 24?

This is where i use layers, by meens of the bank buttons.
I've put the first tracks (1-14) on bank 1 and 2 (of ch1-14) and the other tracks (15-24, aux1-4) on bank 3 and 4 (of ch1-14).
For example you can use one bank for the first track and the other 3 banks on the other track.
It depends on your personal way of working with Live, how the controlers will be best ordered.
I made my personal set which is fitting my way of using Live.

> but how does this tie in with memories.?..ie. on the web site they say that there are 32 memories of each set of 4 banks (x 16 knobs)....

That's a technical story, the manual explains it, it's something like this:

The Pocket Dial memory has capacity for 128 presets. Each preset contains 16 knobs.

One set of bank 1-4 (16 knobs each) has to contain 4 presets (16 knobs each).
When you select preset 1, you get preset 1 on bank 1, preset 2 on bank 2, 3 on 3 and 4 on 4.
The next set starts at preset 5 (with 6,7 and 8 ). The folowing on 9 (with 10, 11 and 12).

That's where those 32 memories (sets) come from (128 devided by 4).

For AbletonLive i use preset 111.
So that's 111 on bank 1, 112 on 2, etc.
Since Live v1.5 also preset 107 works.
For the real, realy, real, diehards, you can program your own presets into the Pocket Dial.
Theoretical that could be (1024 knobs * 32 sets) about 32.000 knobs!!! But i don't want to bring this into practice, please no!
Is there still anyone out there who needs more? It's definitely tooooo much for me ;)

Have fun,

f

mark0

Post by mark0 » Sun May 19, 2002 9:51 pm

thanks alot Frank - its enuff controller talk for me too! Am gonna order one this week - was gonna have a look into the midiman surface one, but it doesn't seem like its gonna be released til the 23rd century....

:D

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Sun May 26, 2002 11:35 pm

I have a vocalist friend who recently bought a kaosspad

When she plugged it in to my power supply it started to give off a hum, I turned off lots of other devices, and tried a different power-socket but stil a hum, which sounds like a ground earth loop thingy.

she doesn''t believe that she has heard that while using it at her place...maybe.

Now, I know you can get one of those ground earth breaking circuit boxes, but The transformer/plug for the 'pad has only two prongs - I thought the box basically only works for 3 prong devices.

I am thinking it may be a faulty unit... anybody got any ideas?

I am a competent sound engineer, but have not had much experience with the ground earth loop phenomena.

FrankH

Post by FrankH » Mon May 27, 2002 7:06 pm

Hi,
SongCarver wrote: When she plugged it in to my power supply it started to give off a hum, I turned off lots of other devices, and tried a different power-socket but stil a hum, which sounds like a ground earth loop thingy.
And if you use the kaosspad original power supply, is the hum still there?
SongCarver wrote: she doesn''t believe that she has heard that while using it at her place...maybe.
Yep, sounds like a ground loop in your system.
SongCarver wrote: Now, I know you can get one of those ground earth breaking circuit boxes, but The transformer/plug for the 'pad has only two prongs - I thought the box basically only works for 3 prong devices.
A ground isolation transformer for the power supply won't help.
A ground isolator or DI box in the audio path will soulve the problem, but is a bit expensive.
In this case it's better to eliminate the hum source.
This can be a long cable, a defect one, or bad grounded equipment like computer monitors or audio amplifiers, particulary guitar amps.

Take some time to puzzle it out. Systematicly eliminating the problem, disconnect all devices, reconnect them one by one, in this way you'll find what causes the problem.

Good luck,

f