Help with debuggin: Windows Vista and Alesis photon x25

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gyro

Help with debuggin: Windows Vista and Alesis photon x25

Post by Gyro » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:55 pm

He peeps,,

I was wondering what steps i should take to figure out a problem i'm apparently having with my Alesis photon X25. I have a suspicion that the problem is due to the X25's incompatibility with Windows Vista (which I've never used before). This is the story:

Ok so i just got a new computer... Fujitsu Tablet PC T4215... Exstatic with it, cept my x25 doesn't seem to be working properly. When I plug it in, windows 'beeps', therefore telling me it detects it, but i don't see anything happen on the x25 as usually it powers up and lights come on....

Then i found out that ifi had my x25 plugged when i turned on the computer the x25 would power up for a few seconds and then as soon as vista started to load the x25 goes dead.

So I'm suspecting vista has something to do with this, but i'm not sure what to do next. I've e-mailed the support staff at Alesis explaining the situation, and if i can't work this out myself i'll just go back to the store i purschased the x25 from, but i'd really like to know what's going on for myself.

Cheers,

Gyro

Gyro

Post by Gyro » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:44 am

Ahhh so it seems i'm not the only person to experience problems with the Alesis photon x25 and Vista:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12937 ... =nl_cxanws

I'm rather annoyed, because I like the way vista runs, other than this little glitch, but i really need my x25!!

I'm yet to hear back from Alesis support, but i'd be interested in trying some work arounds if anyone has any ideas.

blank

Post by blank » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:17 am

There is a good workaround for now

- get yourself a copy of windows xp pro

- put it in your cd drive

- install xp

plug your photon x25, install it, reboot, start ableton, enjoy.

For now, producing music on vista is a pain, Alesis is not the only company with problems or no support on vista.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

Gyro

Post by Gyro » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:24 am

Thanks for the adice, but i refuse to go back... Xp shat me, and vista is running my tablet interface so smoothly that it'd be a shame to loose it. So i guess i'll have to wait either for someone who has dealt with this problem, or for Alesis to provide a patch or update the drivers...

well, i'll be visiting the comp pro who sold me the Alesis and maybe he'll having a solution, but man this is a major letdown.

blank

Post by blank » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:55 am

don't you have a compatibility mode for the driver somewhere?

Gyro

Post by Gyro » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:56 am

blank wrote:don't you have a compatibility mode for the driver somewhere?
What is that and where would i find that? Thanks for replying :P

blank

Post by blank » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:15 am

check in the system properties, specially around the device manager :)

I know vista can emulate old ms os behavior, maybe it will help the photon a bit.

On the other hand, the problem can be related to the soundcard of the x25, as you prolly know that type of devices ( like the video ones) have to be compliant to some new standards in vista.

Gyro

Post by Gyro » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:41 pm

blank wrote:check in the system properties, specially around the device manager :)

I know vista can emulate old ms os behavior, maybe it will help the photon a bit.

On the other hand, the problem can be related to the soundcard of the x25, as you prolly know that type of devices ( like the video ones) have to be compliant to some new standards in vista.
Yeah i tried updating the drivers already, i'm actually quite convinced the problem lies in the communication from the photon x25. And I did not
know that the brought in new standards, wow but that might tell me why it isn't working.

Cheers for that :)

blank

Post by blank » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:40 pm

I think it's all related to drm, vista degrade the sound quality when you copy an audio cd and ect so I guess the soundcard have to be compliant to all that to work properly.