Does anybody rent outside studio space?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Beatport

Does anybody rent outside studio space?

Post by Beatport » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:26 pm

Thinking of finding an outside space to put all my gear.
Last edited by Beatport on Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:09 pm

Several years ago I owned a music/pro audio store and I decided to move my personal studio out of my apartment and into my store's basement which had previously been a professionally designed studio were Bob Sieger, Blackfoot, and Ted Nugent had recorded some of their work (you guessed it, I'm from the Detroit area).

Worse decision ever!

I would have to actually decide "I'm going to go over to the studio and spend the next ___ hours working on music." And the process became just that, work. I really lost a lot of creativity and it got to the point that going to the studio became a hassle. This was even with professionally engineered rooms, sound booths, every piece of gear at my disposal... on paper I had everything... but ended up producing nothing.

Since then I have scaled way back equipment wise and have moved my music space back into my living quarters. What do you know? Everything is back to good... better than ever. I think the key with having everything in your home is that whenever you feel creative you can just go lay some tracks down and when you get tired or hit a dead end you just walk out of the room and continue on with life. When you have to drive to place you loose the spontaneity of the moment and you feel obliged to spend X many hours WORKING, regardless of how creative you feel. You also cant just go and fuck around in the studio for ten minutes. Some of my best stuff was a result of me saying "I think I'll go fuck around in the studio for a couple minutes." There is just way less pressure and less of an ordeal when your studio is at home.

Think about it carefully and good luck.

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:11 am

On the other hand... some of us need the "work" style environment to get in gear. I know I am way more productive when I schedule time to be creative. Since most of my work is commissioned work having a schedual helps kieep up with deadlines.

There is also something to be said for privacy. I mean... the kind that is knowing your neighbors, roommates, people passing by are not listening or can't hear you at all.

Example:

I like to write melody before lyric. When I start singing its just a bunch of ohs and ahs and weird vowels sounds. This can be a very vulnerable experience especially after you come out of your room and your mates are making fun of you.

That really used to kill my creative process.

The other advantages I can think of are extra living space and of course not having to move your studio when you change apartments. I move to a new apartment about once every year and a half. Really sucks having to set-up all over again and get the room "right".
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:16 am

All excellent points... to each his own.

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:47 am

if you have clients coming over, you may a place where they won't see
your dirty underwear

;-)
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:52 am

recently I've been tempted to get a reconditioned shipping container to put the studio in. Some friends live in two of these in London, they are 20foot by 8 foot. 'used' reconditioned containers seem to go for around $1500 us or £800 gbp

I'm reeally tempted to pretend that girl is me.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:31 am

pass a pic and I'll photoshop you there :roll:

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:18 am

Angstrom wrote:recently I've been tempted to get a reconditioned shipping container to put the studio in. Some friends live in two of these in London, they are 20foot by 8 foot. 'used' reconditioned containers seem to go for around $1500 us or £800 gbp

I'm reeally tempted to pretend that girl is me.
There is a recording studio in Atlanta (somewhere) that is built inside those same type of shipping containers... Don't know where though.
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

Beatport

Post by Beatport » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:48 pm

I think I need that "going to work" mentality