Transport MIDI mappings?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Transport MIDI mappings?

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:54 am

Anyone know how to map MIDI CCs to Live's transport controls? I couldn't find any documentation on the transport controls - its pretty easy to map anything else in live, buy using the normal "MIDI Learn" method doesn't work with the transport controls...

Goal:
Use UC-33 transport controls to start/stop/rewind/ffwd live

System:
Mac G5, OS X (Panther)

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:21 pm

funny, I just was trying to do the same thing with an event ezbus. It seems crazy that I can't map the endless rotary knob to the transport to be able to move around in the arranger view. I'm now trying to make the ez bus the sync master, but no luck yet.

Ryan

Nick Maxwell

Post by Nick Maxwell » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:18 am

I could be totally off on this one, but I think that currently the only way to externally control the transport panel is to set up the relevant external control setting in the preferences menu. This way, if you send start/stop and other transport commands over midi, Live will recognize it. This is, of course, no what you were asking for, since you have to tell the external device what messages to send instead of just having Live do all the work. Maybe you could use Midi Ox to conver the messages.

hope this helps,

- Nick

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:13 am

If you can program the UC33 transport controls as "regular" midi cc note on/off , it should be no problem
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:10 pm

I set up the Live default for my Remote 25 Audio last night, and the start and stop transport controls were working. So it must be possible. I'll try and see how they're triggered

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:55 pm

start stop and record--easy, got that no problem. I want to be able to use the endless jog/shuttle wheel to be able to ff and rewind through Live's arranger view quickly and precisely--but Live won't allow you to midi map to the "measure:beat" part of the transport, which seems stupid, as it would be nice to just midi map the shuttle wheel. I think Nick is on the right track, I've been trying to set up my ezbus and the external sync so that the shuttle wheel will work for the song postition, but no luck yet on that front (not sure if EZ can do this).

Ryan