Audio Units in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
coop80

Audio Units in Live

Post by coop80 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:40 am

Hi All,

I have recently moved over to mac and am now trying figure out how to use plug ins with Ableton.

I know that the plugins from my PC won't work so I have aquired some for mac but was wondering how I use them.

Do they go in a specific folder like on a PC?

How do I use Audio Units?

Thanks

Coop

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:47 am

there are two pathes in OSX...

user>libray>audio>plugins>components

system>libray>audio>plugins>components

basically AUs go into a folder called components.

if you have problems finding the folders, use spotlight and type in components.

then you have to activate your audio unit folders in abletons preferences, in order that ableton can read them.

hope that helps.
*** Image GAFM ***

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:01 pm

SubFunk wrote: system>libray>audio>plugins>components
Actually it's /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
Also to make it easier for yourself, choose one of these folders to install your Audio Units (so you only have to look in one place). If you are the only user of this computer (eg: you don't share it with any one), I would suggest putting your AUs in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components - like the path in the above screen grab.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:08 pm

onslaught wrote:
SubFunk wrote: system>libray>audio>plugins>components
Actually it's /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
Also to make it easier for yourself, choose one of these folders to install your Audio Units (so you only have to look in one place). If you are the only user of this computer (eg: you don't share it with any one), I would suggest putting your AUs in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components - like the path in the above screen grab.
oops, sorry you are right about the path...

also, for some reason sometimes certain plugs don't like one of the two locations, it's nice to just use one, but if an AU is not recognised, try to place it in the other location, that usually works.
*** Image GAFM ***

coop80

Post by coop80 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:28 pm

Thanks Guys, you've been a great help.

So just to clarify, say I was to install Absynth or a FM8, i simply keep the program file in the plug ins folder as you've demonstrated above?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:34 pm

coop80 wrote:Thanks Guys, you've been a great help.

So just to clarify, say I was to install Absynth or a FM8, i simply keep the program file in the plug ins folder as you've demonstrated above?
just keep all .component files in the demonstrated way [component folder]

some AUs have other additional files placed somewhere else, like in the application folder [in case of konatkt or the AAS stuff for example] and other locations.
but those are always placed automatically during install... even some 'only' .component files will place themself automatically to the component folder and if not place them manually to the component folder.

hope that makes sense.

tip... i cerated a shortcut [aliases] for the two component folder locations in my home folder... for easy 'n' quick accsess.
*** Image GAFM ***

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:39 pm

coop80 wrote:Thanks Guys, you've been a great help.

With Native Instruments apps, they have their own installer, meaning the installer will copy the application, audio units and vsts' to the appropriate locations for you. But for any Audio Unit that doesn't have it's own installer, copy the file that has the extension .component to your Component folder.

coop80

Post by coop80 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:56 pm

Ok, cool.

I'll give it a try once i've finished work and i'm back home with my beloved mac! :wink:

Thanks again,

Coop.

queglay

Re: Audio Units in Live

Post by queglay » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:24 am

I have gone to the correct location user/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
and i cant find any audio units installed, but live is displaying some. is there anything else i might be missing here?
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:30 am

good question is wether one should use au´s or vst versions with live..

i am not sure what to recomend here. i prsonaly stick with the vst in most cases because certain companys seemed to have problems with au programming in the past..
but is that still the case?
and how is it to mix vst and aus in one projekt? seems to work..but are there dagers?

anbody has some founded opinions on this items?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:30 am

queglay wrote:I have gone to the correct location user/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
and i cant find any audio units installed, but live is displaying some. is there anything else i might be missing here?
Try this : System(macintosh HD)/library/Audio/plug-ins/components every AU gets installed there unless you want to put it into your user path: user/library/audio/plug-ins/component.

queglay

Post by queglay » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:50 am

that first path - the audio folder doeant exist. in the second path there are no audio units. but im sure there are some there as they show up in live.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Are you sure they are audio units and you're not seeing VSTs or Live's own devices? Live's instruments aren't plug-ins.

VSTs go in plug-ins/VST and have a .vst extension.
AU's go in components and have .component

Each has the user or system path and there can not be any plug-ins showing up that aren't there. 9.9% of plug-ins will get put in the system plug-ins folders when installed.
In Live's browser, you'll see VSTs under VST folder and AUs under Audio unit folder (As long as both are enabled in preferences). What are the exact plug-ins you see that you can find in the finder?

Also, just use VSTs. Audio units are worthless.
Professional Shark Jumper.

arafel

Post by arafel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm

OP - Are you speaking about the Apple audio units... ???

If so, then those will not be found in any Components folder - as they are Apples fx, and so built into the system. You will not be able to delete, move, or even see them.

Install your own Audio units by the paths described above.
Install your own VSTs by the same path.. just use the VST folder instead of the Components folder.

I you know how to use a VST, you know how to use an Audio Unit.
But..
If you use an Audio Unit - someone with the same VST will not be able to open that instrument or FX in your set.
Consider them two seperate instruments.
Just an FYI if your gonna transfer a set to someone.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.