AKAI MPD16 & MPD24

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
missjade

AKAI MPD16 & MPD24

Post by missjade » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:07 pm

Does anyone use either of these? I'm looking for a controller that I can use to program beats in the studio and also trigger clips live. I found an MPD16 for $70 used, but the MPD24s are going for only $200 at Guitar Center now, and I think it's worth the extra $ for faders, knobs and more banks...

Just wanted to hear any recommendations/reviews/warnings before I spring for one of these next week....

Thanks! :mrgreen:

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:22 pm

I have the 16 and to be honest i'm not that impressed with the pads,
the sensitivity is not consistant over the whole area of the pad.
as for the 24 i believe this to be of better quality having read reviews but as i dont have 1 i'm no sure. :roll:
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

JaySmuv

Post by JaySmuv » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:25 pm

Get a padKONTROL. The pads are great. It doesn't have faders, but it does have two encoders and an xy pad. If you search around here, you will find a pretty large following of pK users.

Heck, give them both a try at GC and see which one you like the best.
HP 9035nr
Core 2 Duo T5500
PadKontrol - Now with Native Mode!!
Radium 49

missjade

Post by missjade » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:24 pm

nice, i don't really need the faders since i have a uc-33. i'll take a look at the padkontrol since it's going for the same price as the mpd24..

thanks so much guys! :D

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:27 pm

I got both the MPD16 and MPD 24. The 16 is probably not worth it unless you want a slim unit for travelling. The MPD24, so far, is shining as a controller - from its large pads, to the knobs and faders, and especially the interface - no need for an editor. However, I think the padKontrol is awesome, and for me the choice came down to the size and interface of the unit.

For what it's worth, I'm waiting on padKontrol 2 - hopefully they will keep all that is good, update the interface, and add some sliders and knobs.

gort

Post by gort » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:26 pm

if you're on a macbook, stay away from the mpd24. also, the transport controls are useless (as far as i've been able to tell).
hi-q hits and handclaps not holywars and hand grenades

J.Daniels

Post by J.Daniels » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:46 pm

^^Why do you say that? Im using a macbook and im thinking about buying an MPD24 t use primarily for Guru, as it was recommend as the best controller for it.

gort

Post by gort » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:25 am

J.Daniels wrote:^^Why do you say that? Im using a macbook and im thinking about buying an MPD24 t use primarily for Guru, as it was recommend as the best controller for it.
the sysex editing software that comes with it doesnt work on Intel macs. they've been promising an update for many months but nothing still... and the transport (play, stop, rec, ffwd, rew) buttons are useless/unprogramable.

thats why. and it pisses me right off!

yes, you can edit/program it on the unit itself by hand, but it is a serious pain in the ass. im just warning you that its not very user friendly for intel mac users at this point.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:22 am

I'm on intel mac and so far am loving the controller. I do all the editing on the unit and its Okay. yeah, the transport controls don't work, but in my experience nothing is ever perfect in the audio world. Its always as if some small detail is always left out that just shouldn't be.

JD, if I can help set up and explain things, PM me.

J.Daniels

Post by J.Daniels » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:10 am

^^Thanks, im only gonna be buying in a week or so, but ill give you a shout if im having trouble. Ive been checking out the manual in the meantime and seems that its less than half the headache that the axiom controller+enigma software accounts for.

gort

Post by gort » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:37 pm

steve-o wrote:Its always as if some small detail is always left out that just shouldn't be.
im glad you're able to make use of the thing steve-o. i just dont feel as gushy about it though and feel that if you pay for a product, it should work as advertised. the fact that the transport buttons dont work is pretty huge i feel.. i can just see them in the testing phases, trying it on a macbook and going "oh well, it doesnt work.. maybe they wont notice." :roll:

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:30 pm

gort wrote:
steve-o wrote:Its always as if some small detail is always left out that just shouldn't be.
im glad you're able to make use of the thing steve-o. i just dont feel as gushy about it though and feel that if you pay for a product, it should work as advertised. the fact that the transport buttons dont work is pretty huge i feel.. i can just see them in the testing phases, trying it on a macbook and going "oh well, it doesnt work.. maybe they wont notice." :roll:
Very true.

missjade

Post by missjade » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:18 pm

nice...thanks for the warning about the macbooks, but luckily i'm on a powerbook. i did hear that the mpd16s are temperamental with OSX though.

so now i'm between the mpd24 and the padkontrol..........grrrr.... i'll have to go and check out the pads on the padkontrol and see how they feel. on the korg site, it says that each pad has "8 different curves"... can anyone say how that compares to the akai 16 levels? i'm liking the 16 banks as opposed to the mpd's 4 though :D

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:25 pm

You should buy from Platinum - they'll beat GC's prices

get at me sometime

late

ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:37 pm

www.novamusik.com

they hook it up at times. give them a call and see if you can work a deal.

peace
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu