Advice on dj set up..Echo indigo v behringer bcd2000 deejay.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GG

Advice on dj set up..Echo indigo v behringer bcd2000 deejay.

Post by GG » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:08 pm

Which would be the best way of connecting this equipment?

1. Laptop dell inspiron 6400
Image2. Echo Indigo I/O soundcard
3. Behringer bcd2000 deejay midi controller
4. Two Behringer ms40 speakers with built in amp, 2 phono connections which will connect to the input device.
So here’s the deal.

I connect my soundcard into the side of my laptop, no problem; this soundcard has a 1/8” 35mm `input` and `out put` connection which comes with an adaptor for either 2phonos or 2jacks at the end.

The midi controller has a USB connection which goes to the laptop and a power supply and at the back on the rear panel it has 3 phono connections

1. One for the master left and right
2. Two analogue inputs A and B
A is phono for turntable
B is for CD player or tape deck

I will have 2 set ups, one for my bedroom and one to play out at a club; I say this because, I will use my own speakers at home, with the set up above and when playing out, I will discard the speakers and connect through the clubs mixers through the inputs IS THIS RIGHT.

So for my bedroom set up, WILL I, connect the `phono speakers` to back of the midi controllers master, OR WILL I; go straight into the outputs of soundcard, so that I can here the music from the speakers. I say this as in the manual the bcd2000 is saying to have the audio coming out of the master outputs and straight into the amp, which will be my speakers, but where does the soundcard come into this. Soundcard or midi controller

Then for the club set up, WILL I GO, from the outputs from the sound card into the clubs mixer or will I use the midi controllers master output maintaining zero latency at all times.

Also which option would be best for my headphones midi controller or soundcard, there seems to be 2 options for everything but not sure which one to use.

Confused any advice on this long drawn out question would be greatly appreciated.

LyleUppingham

Post by LyleUppingham » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:43 pm

Im not sure how the Behringer works, cause ive never used one (I was thinking about getting one, but got an MPD 24 instead), but some reasoning through computing and sound would lead me to believe that the Master Out on the controller applies only to the Inputs on the controller itself, not for the overall sound... I have an Echo DJ card aswell, and if you are looking to do the cueing with it, then always go out through that

However, Im sure there is a way to make it so you can use the Master Out of the controller. You'd just have to set this up through ableton, and make it so the master out is pointing to the USB device or something related.

The advantage by using the Echo is that you can do cueing and use the other 1/8" Jack as being 2 outs instead of a single stereo out (meaning you can select the left channel and the right channel as being 2 seperate tracks, instead of it being stereo for one track).

My advice for you is to get your own wire going out of the Echo that separates the 1/8" into 2 seperate tracks, which usually results in RCA jack ends, and run it to the mixer of the club. :) I myself run my Echo into a Behringer Xenyx08 (I use other devices like an external drum machine), and then out to the house mix.

GG

Post by GG » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:19 pm

So that does it then I will go through the soundcard and just connect my midi to the laptop.

Can you answer these questions for me please?

1. What kind of latency do you get with the sound card?
2. You said
The advantage by using the Echo is that you can do cueing and use the other 1/8" Jack as being 2 outs instead of a single stereo out (meaning you can select the left channel and the right channel as being 2 separate tracks, instead of it being stereo for one track).

So on that note

A. I can connect my headphones straight into the inputs of the soundcard and do the cueing
B. Not sure what you mean by this. I take it the single stereo would be a microphone and the 2 left and right channel would be producing stereo instead of mono.
C. The wire with the rca jack ends, which is coming from the single output of the soundcard, this will go into the clubs mixer. I was confused because I thought most of the connections on the rear panels of mixers were phono not jack connections, ei I could use the cd inputs or another input on the mixer from the soundcard is this right. So basically I could use the input for my headphones and my outputs for either the clubs mixer or my speakers when not at the club. Sorry for the questions just starting out mate.

LyleUppingham

Post by LyleUppingham » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 pm

Its cool, let me run through the questions...

So, I havent really played with the latency or anything cause I have been having trouble configuring my MPD 24 ( as seen in this post http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= ), so, I pretty much slowed down with my work on anything music related, or than orginizing files and getting an external HDD plus more orginizeation on that too.

Now, as far as it goes for the sound portion.
I have noticed that there is no favorites between Phono inputs and Line inputs on Mixers. If you are using a Turntable mixer, there are going to be Phono inputs, otherwise things are going to be on the Line level. If you go out of your sound card then always use line. the Phono is meant for turntables, because (I might be wrong, so all you DJ etiquette nazis can stfu) the phono jack is amplified. Ive noticed this cause if you plug a turntable into a Line Input, it sounds horrible and quiet.

Now, Cueing can be done through the Echo Card, and there are other posts where you can get info. I highly suggest you contact vinkalmann, seeing that he sent me his own tutorial he made on how to do it. Cueing is when you preview the music before you throw it in the mix via headphones. It enables you to monitor things, make sure it sounds right and is on beat. You ever wonder why DJs use headphones and what the hell they are doing? Its not so they can listen to the live mix and enjoy it themselves; they are working, lol. There is a way to set up your Echo card to where it can act like the sound coming out of it is like "Coming from 2 different Turntables." In that, it takes the Left side and Right sides of a stereo output, and makes it so they are both Mono tracks.

You can then specify, on Ableton, to send different audio out of these newly seperated tracks. The only problem is that on the soundcard, it has two 1/8" outputs. Its kind of hard to find a 1/8 wire that unbalances the right and left side back into 1/8 plugs. Usually they are turned into RCA plugs. I myself have a wire that comes out of my Echo card and goes into the Line 1 and Line 2 of my Xenyx 08 mixer (I like to have actual devices while mixing... Im kind of anti mouse when it comes to DJing). This makes it so things that are running into the Line 1 are almost like they are coming from one turntable, and things going into Line 2 are coming from another turntable. But they arent, they are coming from different clips on Ableton. Seeing that you arent using your own mixer though, I suggest you go pick yourself up a wire from some store like Radioshack, and take it with you to your gigs. Have that wire run from your Echo Card to the mixer, and have it "Unbalanced" so that the Left and Right side of the wire act as independant mono wires. Then you run that wire to the left and right side of a mixer, and use it like you would a set of turntables.

I really hope I havent confused the shit out of you. Let me know how it goes :)

GG

Post by GG » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:23 am

LyleUppingham wrote:Its cool, let me run through the questions...

So, I havent really played with the latency or anything cause I have been having trouble configuring my MPD 24 ( as seen in this post http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= ), so, I pretty much slowed down with my work on anything music related, or than orginizing files and getting an external HDD plus more orginizeation on that too.

Now, as far as it goes for the sound portion.
I have noticed that there is no favorites between Phono inputs and Line inputs on Mixers. If you are using a Turntable mixer, there are going to be Phono inputs, otherwise things are going to be on the Line level. If you go out of your sound card then always use line. the Phono is meant for turntables, because (I might be wrong, so all you DJ etiquette nazis can stfu) the phono jack is amplified. Ive noticed this cause if you plug a turntable into a Line Input, it sounds horrible and quiet.

Now, Cueing can be done through the Echo Card, and there are other posts where you can get info. I highly suggest you contact vinkalmann, seeing that he sent me his own tutorial he made on how to do it. Cueing is when you preview the music before you throw it in the mix via headphones. It enables you to monitor things, make sure it sounds right and is on beat. You ever wonder why DJs use headphones and what the hell they are doing? Its not so they can listen to the live mix and enjoy it themselves; they are working, lol. There is a way to set up your Echo card to where it can act like the sound coming out of it is like "Coming from 2 different Turntables." In that, it takes the Left side and Right sides of a stereo output, and makes it so they are both Mono tracks.

You can then specify, on Ableton, to send different audio out of these newly seperated tracks. The only problem is that on the soundcard, it has two 1/8" outputs. Its kind of hard to find a 1/8 wire that unbalances the right and left side back into 1/8 plugs. Usually they are turned into RCA plugs. I myself have a wire that comes out of my Echo card and goes into the Line 1 and Line 2 of my Xenyx 08 mixer (I like to have actual devices while mixing... Im kind of anti mouse when it comes to DJing). This makes it so things that are running into the Line 1 are almost like they are coming from one turntable, and things going into Line 2 are coming from another turntable. But they arent, they are coming from different clips on Ableton. Seeing that you arent using your own mixer though, I suggest you go pick yourself up a wire from some store like Radioshack, and take it with you to your gigs. Have that wire run from your Echo Card to the mixer, and have it "Unbalanced" so that the Left and Right side of the wire act as independant mono wires. Then you run that wire to the left and right side of a mixer, and use it like you would a set of turntables.

I really hope I havent confused the shit out of you. Let me know how it goes :)
Just on that note I have found something out.

What's the difference between the Phono, Line, & Aux connectors on a dj mixer?
Each of these options is for hooking up different types of dj equipment. Phono should be pretty obvious - it's for hooking up your turntables. Phone signals are relatively weak, so they need a lot of amplification. Also, the signals from turntables have to be equalized in order to sound correct, and Phono inputs do this automatically.

Line inputs and Aux connectors are two names for the same thing. They are for hooking up equipment like CD players or MiniDiscs that use line level signals.

As long as you put your turntables through Phono inputs, and other equipment through Line or Aux inputs, you should be fine.

So they dont have to be jacks just as long as the signal is passed through the line inputs to amplify the signal.

Cheers dude