Roland v Moog (Am I deaf or mental)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Roland v Moog - Deaf or Mental

Yes, you are deaf
7%
Yes, you are mental
7%
You are deaf and mental
27%
Go for it!! The world's your oyster!!
20%
Do I need ping pong?
40%

Total votes: 15

brightonalex

Roland v Moog (Am I deaf or mental)

Post by brightonalex » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:06 pm

Alright.
I went to Turnkey braced to buy a Little Phatty. But I listened to a few other keyboards while I was there and I way preferred the SH-101

The bass sounded as good to me, it has the cutoff and resonance filters for tweaking, I found instant gratification in the arpeggiator (just press the 'arpeggiator on' button), it can all be edited as a VSTi and it was HALF THE PRICE of the LP so I wouldn't even feel guilty buying it.

Plus I had a Roland electric piano for about 20 years and I loved it.

So am I missing something? Does anyone else here use an SH-101?

Thank you!

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:11 pm

Sorry it was an SH-201.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:40 pm

Hey, whatever works for you. If you get the SH-201 , really get inside of it and are productive with it, you made the right choice.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:44 pm

Roland sh-201 is Virtual analog recreation...while Moog is An analog beast ...

Roland and Moog both make/made great synths

nobody can tell you what sounds better as it's an individual thing...

different strokes...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:49 pm

hey mate

i was playing a jp 8000 and a voyager next to each other the other night.

the moog shits on softsynths, but the jp 8000 which has a similar sound engine from what ive read to the sh201 was holding its own.

the jp had a precision the moogs can't achieve.

but with the moog, once you start usin sounds other than a basic bass patch and actually explore recording multiple layers of the moog etc, it becomes an untouchable beast.

some of the differences are that the moog will sound deep and fat across most notes whereas the digital stuff tends to often have a focal area where the sound is as you adjusted then, notes can have different behaviours.

on some digital synths you can just play a deep bass patch and play up and down all the notes in an octave, if you dont hear a difference in 'phatness' between the notes, then you have a pretty good synth + filter.

i think every studio should have at least one decent analogue synth and one decent digital synth.

get them both :P

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks, I can see your point. Maybe I should have another listen.

Now I'm reading reviews that say "get a Microkorg" or "get an Ion" and its put me in a bad mood.

The one thing I really like about the Roland is it doesn't have a screen! Just knobs, and I'm a big knobman.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:12 pm

brightonalex wrote:Thanks, I can see your point. Maybe I should have another listen.

Now I'm reading reviews that say "get a Microkorg" or "get an Ion" and its put me in a bad mood.

The one thing I really like about the Roland is it doesn't have a screen! Just knobs, and I'm a big knobman.
Get the Phatty. If you want a Roland Virtual Analog, get a generation 1 V-Synth - same v. analog engine as the SH-201, I believe (somebody correct me if I am wrong here), and since its discontinued, they can be found on the cheap. Or go totally softsynth. Personally, I can't see the point in buying virtual analog hardware (perhaps virus are an exception, I don't know, but I still wouldn't buy one).

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:14 pm

brightonalex wrote: I'm a big knobman.
cue nebulae in 3...2...1...

lol

dude totally hear you.

i got the rackmount voyager over the lil phatty due to the knob factor.

the rolands are awesome with their fader laden setups.

what other synths u got bro?

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:52 pm

My first was a Yamaha CS1X.
I had a Dave Smith Evolver (no keyboard) for a bit but I sold it because it didn't do quite what I expected.
Also I'm no good at programming or anything, just quite good at writing tunes!
I've been using loads of different soft synths, but I miss having something big to play with (queue nubulae again..)

I was going to buy a Voyager rackmount because Turnkey had some for £1000, but they all sold out in a couple of days :(
I think it might have been too difficult for me anyway.
So then I thought maybe I'd compromise and go for a Moog LP, but like I said the Roland made me smile straight away....
I think I need to go back for another listen!!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:10 pm

brightonalex wrote:My first was a Yamaha CS1X.
I had a Dave Smith Evolver (no keyboard) for a bit but I sold it because it didn't do quite what I expected.
Also I'm no good at programming or anything, just quite good at writing tunes!
I've been using loads of different soft synths, but I miss having something big to play with (queue nubulae again..)

I was going to buy a Voyager rackmount because Turnkey had some for £1000, but they all sold out in a couple of days :(
I think it might have been too difficult for me anyway.
So then I thought maybe I'd compromise and go for a Moog LP, but like I said the Roland made me smile straight away....
I think I need to go back for another listen!!
the LP didn't give me as much a wobbly as the voyager did.. totally different beasts all 3 machines, but i reckon the moog if u really care about ur bass and squidgy sounds and the sh201 if you want a more of an all-rounder, but i think u will outgrow your 201 in no time...

its quite simple .. if you already had an analogue synth, id say get the 201, but you dont.. so get a moog :)

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:21 pm

i liked the 201 more than the little phatty as well. i just got a bit bored with the kind of basic-ness of the lp. maybe it doesn't help that i'm not that good at programming. i didn7t really get the point of haveing led rings, but not endless knobs, or not having dedicated controls for the ADSR or whatever (i know it's to keep costs down, but still). and only having a lowpass filter...

though the thing with the 201 was that i felt like i was going to break it. those little sliders for the envelopes.

yeah, don7t get a microkorg (not that you were going to). i liked mine when i bought it, and still do, but not having a knob-per-feature gets on my tits.

smartabletonuser

Post by smartabletonuser » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:50 pm

get an atc-x quad!

i own a moog LP and the atc puts it to shame (I hat to say). multiband filters (including the original minimoog circuit), ring mod, noise and more .

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:02 pm

that atc looks really good

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Is that the Studio Electronics thing? Because they don't seem to sell them in the UK.

NewSc2

Post by NewSc2 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:34 pm

why don't you get an old sh-101?