TIESTO reveals hard trance facts !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kramerica

Post by kramerica » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:05 am

hambone1 wrote:
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:Here's an example of GOOD trance: http://youtube.com/watch?v=uyH7Kyp1kEA
If that's good trance, I'd hate to hear bad!
If you want reeeeeaaalllly bad: Infected Mushroom.

Even the name makes me cringe.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

dys4ik

Post by dys4ik » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:05 am

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:Well, try "Dance 2 Trance - We Came In Peace" if you prefer a slightly less commercial sound. I haven't got a link atm though.

Besides, there's no need to bash other people's taste simply because you find it inferior to your own. That just lame and immature.
I always point people towards D:Fuse or Dj Brian for what I like in the trance category.

I guess if your exposure to trance is limited to Tiesto, PVD, ATB, and the such, you aren't going to have a very high opinion of it. Especially if trance isn't manly enough for you.

Seriously, though. What is a good alternative? There are crappy sounding knockoffs you can use to denigrate any genre.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:01 am

I don't care for trance either, you could say I pretty much hate it - but I have heard some good sets. Sandra Collins used to play pretty nice trance sets. Or maybe it was prog house? Either way she used to play tasteful stuff I thought, no cheese.

Now, I know he's a trance dj and I don't know what style he usually plays, but I went to a Family Productions party some years ago and Kimball Collins played hands down the best trance set I've ever had the pleasure of dancing to. It was all really hard, techy, mean, evil and dark.

Like I say, I don't know what he usually plays, and maybe he was trying to keep the mood and energy up - A local guy named Tzeech played a hard ass techno set before him, then T-1000 was on after him, so that might have been why he played the way he did.

I don't know, but it was trance, and it was good shit. It's rare you'll ever hear me say that, but it was the truth I tell ya.

That was a fun party. Not long after that they stopped booking techno dj's in baltimore, so I got jaded and I rarely leave the house anymore.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:18 am

smutek wrote:I don't care for trance either, you could say I pretty much hate it - but I have heard some good sets. Sandra Collins used to play pretty nice trance sets. Or maybe it was prog house? Either way she used to play tasteful stuff I thought, no cheese.
That's the funny thing about trance, it's actually a pretty vague term, so making fun of it doesn't really mean anything, except for the obvious boring crap like Tiesticle. At the core there's monotonous music that captures you, it puts you in a trance (that's how I take the term to mean) but the lines between it and other forms of hard driving steady beats blurs. It's shit like 'epic trance' that I just don't do enough drugs to get into. I love a handful of trance DJs, but IMO it can be such a subtle, minimal style that's it's hard to get right but real easy to cheese out on.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:13 am

I hate a lot of trance too, mainly because everyone's doing the same. Only a few manage to do "the same", but make it sound really good (or add something original to it)

That is however not only the case in trance, but every goddamn genre ;) I used to look for spesific genres, but now I focus on simply good songs.