Ableton Live beginner setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Punky921

Ableton Live beginner setup

Post by Punky921 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Hey folks,

So I'm thinking of getting into Live. I'm currently using 5.2 (on my roommate's Mac) and I'm really loving it. I'm considering getting 6.0. I'm primarily interested in DJing, fooling around with samples, loops, making beats, and making noise.

Here are my questions:

1. What's the best controller to use with Live? I've got a Feena FMDJ9303 and an M-Audio Trigger Finger already. Should I get something else? I'm considering getting a Korg Zero8 when they come out for this purpose.

2. I'm considering buying my friend's old M-Audio Keystation. It's pretty basic, but looks nifty for this purpose. I don't play piano, so would I really need this?

3. I'm currently using M-Audio's Conectiv interface. Is that good enough?

4. What's a good set of monitors to get, in the $200 range?

5. How soon will Live 7.0 be coming out? I figure I should hold off and wait for Live 7.0 if it's coming out soon, as opposed to buying 6.0 and having to pay for an upgrade.

That's all for now! Thanks for your input. :)

j0nnydigital

Post by j0nnydigital » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Uh man it seems like you have the basic things to start. Try taking the tutorials that are built in with live they are actually incredibly helpful ... they'll explain things for you might fine, unlike any other production software. Now about the monitors, 200$ wont get you bass thumping window shaking boxes, but you can get your hands on a good pair of M-Audio Studiophile™ AV 40 (I think their retail price is between 130 - 140 USD) ...

now the main question you have to ask yourself, are you getting into live just to mess around or are you going to use it to actually produce music and to eventually play live.

starting out with a basic midi controller and a drum pad midi controller isnt bad. You dont need more, just pick up those monitors.

And Ableton 7 is far from coming out, so spend about 3 weeks doing stuff and learning things with 5.2.2 and if you love ableton, buy 6 (!HINT !!HINT!! there is an awesome student discount, cuts down the price by almost half.. so at your local dj store if your buying ableton ask them to order the education version, which is the FULL version, there is just a sticker on it saying that its the education version, and you can install it on 2 computers which is awesome because you and a friend can split the price ... but I never told you that)

good luck

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:53 pm

Two computers? Yo, for real??? That's hot. I'm definitely going to check that out.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for monitors? I don't need anything that I can smash the doors down with, just something clean and clear.

And yeah, I would love to eventually perform with Ableton eventually. I'm already doing the occasional mobile DJ gig as well as throwing my own house parties. I feel like the possibilities are really endless, and I won't have to waste time fiddling around with beatmatching.

Justin

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:14 pm

Anyone else?

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:20 pm

Punky921 wrote:Two computers? Yo, for real??? That's hot. I'm definitely going to check that out.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for monitors? I don't need anything that I can smash the doors down with, just something clean and clear.

And yeah, I would love to eventually perform with Ableton eventually. I'm already doing the occasional mobile DJ gig as well as throwing my own house parties. I feel like the possibilities are really endless, and I won't have to waste time fiddling around with beatmatching.

Justin
The idea behind two licenses is that you can have one portable for live usage, and a different one for studio usage rather than you and a friend. Careful with that one. ;)
Cheap monitors... I really like my KRK Rockits. They were inexpensive, clear, and loud. The subwoofer is absolutely necessary, however.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:04 pm

I saw the KRKs and they looked like a good deal. Do they come with a subwoofer, is there one in the KRK line, or do you recommend a different one?

J