Afghan Whigs (video) a band ahead of there time? yep

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nathannn

Afghan Whigs (video) a band ahead of there time? yep

Post by nathannn » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FskfUEfdMn4
i was watching this video today and other than the clothing in this video i can not tell its from the 90's
this song and video (plot or direction ) sounds and looks very up to date.
it makes me wonder why they never where big.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:27 am

serious kick ass band. back in the day friends saw them in concert, the whigs opened for a bigger band and for months my friends couldn't stop talking about how much ass Greg Dulli kicked on the stage, I still regret missing that show. yeah, great band. Queens of the Stone Age remind me of them.

felt compelled to respond with
Dramarama - Anything Anything (lame video, sound is good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc6xMfPm ... ed&search=
that song still sends chills down my spine.

and The Godfathers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2SLs7EWyIk Birth School Work Death
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:30 am

I love the soul element in them. They're one of the few white acts to have that vibe. Listen to "when we two parted" on the Gentleman album, astonishing ballad with unique genetic code.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:39 pm

...Twilight singers are awesome as well...
Afghan whigs were awesome !!! their sound is amazing !!!

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:14 pm

if you get a chance, go see the twilight singers.

excellent band more focused on the soul than the whigs were.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:32 pm

The Afghan Whigs do hold up well. I like to think that they were one of the last wave of bands who incorporated some unique part of their local scene in their songwriting and production (Cinci in this case).

However, you're all mistaken if you think the 90's were just about Seattle. As usual, the 90's grunge sound had roots in the later part of the previous decade. Minneapolis and Athens both had lasting impact on the national college and indie scene throughout the 90's. If anything, the message was be unique and do it yourself.

Here's a list of bands late 80's and early 90's who get little to no attention now but were hugely influential on the next wave:
XTC (70's but Skylarking got everyone's attention in 87), American Music Club, The Replacements, Husker Du, Sugar, Soul Asylum, Fugazi, Jawbox, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Posies, Built to Spill, Hanoi Rocks, The Damned, Lords of the New Church, Fishbone, Soul Coughing and so on.

I'm 38, played in bands during the 90's, was involved in the southeast (Nashville TN) and northwest (Boise ID) scenes and never even bought a Nirvana or Pearl Jam CD.

Likewise, we're only just beginning to define a new sound which we will identify with the current decade but history will brand as the next.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:42 pm

another vote for soul coughing here.

very inspirational to me.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:59 pm

I would have put The Pixies and early REM in there but then I'd have to list another dozen bands and honestly, who has the time?

I do think it's important to note that Thom Yorke and others from the newer British wave cite Michael Stipe and 80's and 90's indie and college rock from the U.S. as an inspiration. Really, there was very little of interest in England during the 90's except for XTC, The La's and Elvis Costello.

The message is still the same, be unique and do it yourself. :)

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Man, I never really gave these guys a chance. I think I'm gonna buy 1965.

pieter

Post by pieter » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:20 pm

no no no don't buy 1965, that was the first sign of their break up. i saw them live around that time too (the only time) and it was so over the top. no more good songs but boring "soul" arrangements, really a mess. but "gentlemen" and "black love" are amazing albums. i don't know the ones before that though...

and they have "a best" of too...

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:55 pm

another vote for the soul. black love was fucking awesome. and i liked 1965 as well.
pearsonart.com wrote:Really, there was very little of interest in England during the 90's except for XTC, The La's and Elvis Costello.
and, err, radiohead.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:47 pm

pieter wrote:no no no don't buy 1965, that was the first sign of their break up. i saw them live around that time too (the only time) and it was so over the top. no more good songs but boring "soul" arrangements, really a mess. but "gentlemen" and "black love" are amazing albums. i don't know the ones before that though...

Well shit me a kitten. I'll just get all three. :) Hooray for used CDs!

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:57 pm

the_planet wrote:
pieter wrote:no no no don't buy 1965, that was the first sign of their break up. i saw them live around that time too (the only time) and it was so over the top. no more good songs but boring "soul" arrangements, really a mess. but "gentlemen" and "black love" are amazing albums. i don't know the ones before that though...

Well shit me a kitten. I'll just get all three. :) Hooray for used CDs!
i remember the whigs had a rad single that my friends would play to death. it was about five covers, including a cover of "band of gold" and also some U2 song.
great single.