If you like like electrosurf/acid surf

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ScholarlyGent

If you like like electrosurf/acid surf

Post by ScholarlyGent » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:24 pm

I just put a new surf track up on my page. Click the link at the bottom to check it out. Please let me know what you think, positive or negative.

Description:
This latest release entitled "Lowtide at Dawn" is a down tempo surfers delight. Those who love nothing more than the chance to wake up at 5:00 AM to catch lowtide breaks on East Coast beaches will be brought right to those precious moments when the pink sun starts peeking over the ocean filled horizon. You're sleepy and likely still drunk, but the cool sea breeze and empty beach takes you to your happy place. Enjoy and please feel free to leave feedback!

PClark

Post by PClark » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:54 pm

Awesome track!! I am a huge fan of your stuff. I really like your electro but this track is totally different and I love it. Its like some downtempo-pimp-surf music. Totally made me want to do a hot chick in the sand. Keep those tracks comming!

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:35 am

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your support as always!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:41 am

Oh yeah, listened to these earlier, nice choons, they actually reminded me of the title track to Pet Sounds, how's that for a compliment. Any tips on getting that overall sound? Reverbs and EQs obviously, any tips on how you approach it?

Early mornings were a drawback learning to surf, driving drunk to the beach at 6am on a sunday morning. Made me feel GREAT afterwards though.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:32 am

Tone Deft wrote:Oh yeah, listened to these earlier, nice choons, they actually reminded me of the title track to Pet Sounds, how's that for a compliment. Any tips on getting that overall sound? Reverbs and EQs obviously, any tips on how you approach it?

Early mornings were a drawback learning to surf, driving drunk to the beach at 6am on a sunday morning. Made me feel GREAT afterwards though.
Wow, thanks! When it comes to my surf stuff I'll take a comparison to the Beach Boys any time!

It may seem obvious, but the key to that sound is really in the core guitar sound. I use a tele running relatively clean through a 60s tube modeler, slightly boosted highs and mids, a retro reverb modeler, and tremelo-which is absolutely key. The ride and snare are also key and i try to keep them natural sounding and simple (except for the brief sections of filter delay and extreme reverb). I usually just sit with my guitar and make up a background riff that is really simple, just a few chords. Then I go over and do a little lead work, but I always keep it simple. Lastly I go and add percussion, synth stuff, and tweak with effects and other edits to give it a more new school sound.

I swear to you man, I could be 7/8 of the way to a ripping hangover but that early morning surf ALWAYS wipes it away like non other. Its amazing! Theres no better feeling than being out there knowing you just got your days worth of soul food before anyone else is even awake. The rest of the day is just butter.

Thanks again for checking out my stuff. I really appreciate the complements.

PClark

Post by PClark » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:18 pm

where do you usually surf?

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:15 pm

I have a beach house on Long Beach Island NJ. Its a classic east coast surf haven.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Does anyone know of any labels or anyone that may be interested in this type of sound? My experience is all within Detroit techno and electro so I'm kinda lost when comes to trippy surf music.