Linux?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dennis DeSantis

Linux?

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Sun May 12, 2002 6:29 am

Why not?

Smaller companies like Ableton could lead the revolution away from buggy closed source systems by providing a Linux version.
I'd be MUCH more comfortable using this app in a Linux environment than I am in Win or Mac.

Any thoughts?

Dennis DeSantis
http://www.dennisdesantis.com

Zulu

Post by Zulu » Sun May 12, 2002 7:54 am

Amen!

davemanning

Linux?

Post by davemanning » Sun May 12, 2002 9:15 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote: Why not?

Smaller companies like Ableton could lead the revolution away from buggy closed source systems by providing a Linux version.
I'd be MUCH more comfortable using this app in a Linux environment than I am in Win or Mac.

Any thoughts?

Dennis DeSantis
First off, kudos for the Abletons for being able to produce a buggy, closed-source application that runs on two major platforms very, very well.

Secondly, why Linux? Why not OpenBSD, RISCOS, or the new AMIGA OS? Open source software doesn't have to be limited to an open source operating system, does it? And what exactly would keep the Euros coming in to the folks at Ableton if they open sourced their one and only revenue stream? The guarantee that their point release would be the most stable? :-)

While many musicians are technically minded people, most are not - and most would definitely not have the same comfort level as you, Dennis, working in Linux. :-) Live, for me, is another tool - one I'm still learning the ins and outs of. I don't want to build my own just yet!

Dave
---
Dave Manning

Zulu

Post by Zulu » Mon May 13, 2002 1:40 am

Dave, first off I can't follow what you are getting at. Second, no one is suggesting that Ableton open their sources; you don't *have* to open source your application to run on an open source os. Third, to run on Linux (or FreeBSD, etc.) you don't have to be any more (or less) technically minded that you already have to be in order to work with the "two major platforms". Afterall, OSX *is* Unix, or more accurately, FreeBSD running on Mach.

If Live is running on OSX, it's already running on Linux. Granted, the hassles of supporting another platform (a minor one to some) might be too taxing on a small company. But then again, small companies are the ones that lead the way to shifts in paradigms.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon May 13, 2002 2:36 am

I'm not suggesting to either open the source or to stop development for Mac or Windows - that would be commercial suicide.

I'm simply suggesting that it might not be a bad idea for some of these companies to ALSO release versions for alternative OSes. I chose Linux for the example because it's CLEARLY the front runner and it actually has drivers for some audio cards. In contrast, audio support under BSD is simply not a priority.

Dennis DeSantis

davemanning

Post by davemanning » Mon May 13, 2002 2:40 am

Dennis:

Perhaps I misunderstood your original statement:

"Smaller companies like Ableton could lead the revolution away from buggy closed source systems by providing a Linux version. "

I read this as advocating an open source application on an open source system. I guess I'm not sure what the benefit of running a closed source application on an open source OS vs. a closed source OS.

Zulu:

Re: Technically minded users: Since being exposed to my first *NIX graphical OS in 1987, I've never found them to be more user friendly than even the standard Windows interface, let alone the Mac. Maybe I'm generalizing here, but I wouldn't imagine most musicians wanting to move to an OS where you need to know if the video architecture on your laptop will work with the kernel release that supports your audio card, etc. I certainly wouldn't.

Re: "If Live is running on OSX, it's already running on Linux." I don't know what Live is written in - if it's a Carbonized OS 9 application, a native MacOS X application, or what. I'm sure that if you could compile Live as a faceless application, it might run on *BSD if anything. Regardless, I'm completely happy in the fact that the paradigm shift in which Ableton has chosen to lead the way is cutting edge software - platform independent.

Dave
---
Dave Manning

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Mon May 13, 2002 11:02 am

FinalScratch is Linux now and solid.

http://www.stantonmagnetics.com/

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue May 14, 2002 7:10 am

I don't think developing for another platform would be beneficial: More programming work ->> Higher costs ->> Increased price ->> Less time to solve problems/bugs for the current two platforms ->> Plus, do you know about any professional audio interface with Linux drivers? :lol:

Dream on....
Last edited by FORMAT on Tue May 14, 2002 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zulu

Post by Zulu » Tue May 14, 2002 7:47 am

FORMAT wrote: Dream on....
Ok. Peace.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Tue May 14, 2002 11:28 pm

"Plus, do you know about any professional audio interface with Linux drivers?"

RME Hammerfall 9636/52, and soon the RME Multiface and Digiface.

Also, if it's written in pure C++, getting it to work on another platform should be as simple as recompiling.

Dennis DeSantis

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed May 15, 2002 6:26 am

Simple? Recompiling? Doesn't sound simple to me at all!

Zulu

Post by Zulu » Thu May 16, 2002 8:22 pm

What are we arguing about? Whether it's simple to do or not is irrelevant. The issue is whether we have the right (balls) to think outside the box.

The issue is not to have Ableton drop what they are doing now and support Linux, but to stir up enough interest so that they see the viability of supporting Linux.

But, as you pointed out, the times are not ripe for some of us yet. I can remember a decade ago when everyone was predicting the demise of Unix; now we have OSX, Linux, ...

As I was saying, before being rudely interrupted, having OSX support is as good as Linux. It's just a matter of enough people voicing their interest.

Dreaming on...

Rolf

Live for >Beos

Post by Rolf » Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:08 pm

Live for Open BeOS might be better :)

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:24 am

Hey guys! LIVE runs on MacOS X. What's your ploblem?
MacOS X is like Linux only better. :twisted:

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:52 pm

Thats cool, but i vote for a linux version!! :lol:

thnx
peter