electro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mike holiday

electro?

Post by mike holiday » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:56 pm

has electro become something different then the beloved AUX 88 of my past?
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:03 pm

for some fuckin reason i cant understand at all, sometimes people say electro and then promptly play some bullshit with kicks on every 1/4 note. And i'm all like, "that's techno," and theyre all like, "it says electro on the label"

fuck dj culture forever and ever amen.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:07 pm

thanks... i'v been wondering about that for awhile now

eamoon

Post by eamoon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:34 pm

oh noes it's another WHAT IS ELECTRO thread

I'll just point out here that on the last two Drexciya albums there were some slamming 4/4 tunes that I have a hard time calling anything but electro.

on the other hand, there's a lot of "electro house" that just sounds like watered-down crap, so...

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:43 pm

Let me solve this debate for you. Anything written entirely in Reason using presets is Electro. Now go out and enjoy your evening.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:44 pm

eamoon wrote:oh noes it's another WHAT IS ELECTRO thread

I'll just point out here that on the last two Drexciya albums there were some slamming 4/4 tunes that I have a hard time calling anything but electro.

on the other hand, there's a lot of "electro house" that just sounds like watered-down crap, so...

not a what is electro thread, but more of a wtf happend to electro thread!

agreed Drexciya has some slamming 4/4

"electro house" doesn't sound like electro or house to my ears
(unless you consider "progressive house" house music)
which i dont

i started hearing all this hype about electro about 2 years ago.. but none of it sounded like crates of electro i own

i guess this just shows how over genrefication of electronic music is silly

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:02 am

Its not electro - its electro house. Electro is from the 80s. Not really helped as alot of 'electro house' producers are too young to realise that electro existed ages ago - all they know is they must have an analog synth to make that noise...
Its not trance either, nor progressive house - which I think of as house style mixed softer trance.

I count it as an evolution of tech house or berlin house (I think), but using sounds influenced by older electro stuff. Main difference of tech house from techno - slower bpm, more of a (house) groove to everything, though few tracks seem to bother with much of a groove or even house style mixing (???), so Im not particualrly convinced of the 'house' label either. Maybe im wrong, but I allways thought of 'house' as being the domain of DJs - you take a vageuely dancable track and give it more energy, mix more interestingly, and generally mess with more it on the decks.

Unlike techno (that to my mind just relentlessly bangs in your head), electro house changes alot, not musically, but rhythmically - its about waking you up, keeping you on your toes, not sticking you in a trance - the 4/4 is banging away, but more of a dance music back drop -its the basslines that are most prominent. Low octave raw saw or square from an analog synth, simple filter and envelope abuse - patch making for dummies basically. Though quite hard to get it convincingly out of many VA synths - they just aint meaty enough - really need some analog saturation abuse in the sound.

I actually like alot of 'proper' electro house when out clubbing but while there is some really good stuff in this genre - OMG - aint their also alot of utter shite - probably more so than any other genre that comes to mind. Some of the electro remixes Ive heard is truly bloody aweful butcherings.

Most 'electro house' I hear does remind me more of tech house which I never particularly liked - kind of missed the point of house I allways thought. Its a good genre to steal from - 'electro progressive house' or whatever you would call it actually works better IMHO, and great for doing remixes with - ie do a house remix, but aim for the electro bass sound can works really well I think.

Oh yeh - forgot - you will often hear the term 'disco electro house' or some variation of that - that to my mind is proper electro inflenced house. Tends to be much more clappy, but still quite berlin/tech - but more often you get the house style DJ influence in the production.

Confused? ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Frankie

Post by Frankie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:19 am

JACKAL & HYDE

Post by JACKAL & HYDE » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:30 am

Electro:

LFO
Kraftwerk
Dynamix II
Afrika Bambaataa
Detroit Grand Poobah's
Anthony Rother
Doppler Effekt
Aux 88
Dave Clarke
DMX Crew
Radioactiveman
Andrew Weatherall

biroe

Post by biroe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:52 am

electro funk is where its at

8)

Sten

Post by Sten » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:56 am

Pretty much every DJ flyer around boston says that the guy's gonna be playing electro... meh.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:54 am

Sten wrote:Pretty much every DJ flyer around boston says that the guy's gonna be playing electro... meh.

this is what i'm getting at... I swear they somebody jacked the word because they liked the sound of it.. and aplied it to different music then it is

(orange is the new blue)

thinking electro wasn't big enuff to take the name back, or too underground for the average club goer to notice?.
Khazul wrote:Electro is from the 80s.
electro lived and evolved all thru the 90's and 2000's and still lives today.

really it's the breakbeat side of techno..

check out

http://electrixrecords.co.uk/frameset_electrix.html

for some new school electro... it is sick

ever heard of the burden brothers? (Octave One/Random Noise Generation) Lenny and Lawrence Burden with their brothers Lorne, Lynell and Lance as revolving members

if not you should really really check them out.. they are great, and do truly represent the heart and soul of detroit, they make house music and they make electro but they don't make electro house.

but .lm. confermed my suspisons for me

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:00 am

...and the hijacking of the word DUB. wtf??
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:28 am

Tone Deft wrote:...and the hijacking of the word DUB. wtf??

yeah!

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:46 am

Tone Deft wrote:...and the hijacking of the word DUB. wtf??
In what? Dubstep?