A Very Un-Inspiring set Seen on mpc/ turntables

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:30 am

They can do what they want, it's about the music (hear that DJ Tiesticle?)

They definitely could've rallied the crowd and made them more excited, people would've walked away with a better impression. Or even put on shiny robot suits and check e-mail then at least people would think they were looking up.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:21 am

EgAD wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:and this is part of the reason that the entertainment industry has replaced the music industry.

nobody cares about music for music's sake.

lame.

imagine if i walked out of a performance of a gorecki symphony because the musicians were just sitting in chairs playing their instruments.

.lm.
don't know how many symphonies you seen Live but I've seen many and they've all been more worth a showticket than these guys so far you've brought up wwf and symphonies..... you're just helping me make my point.

look, the point i'm making is that no one goes to a symphony to watch the musicians, it's boring. They're there to listen to fantastic music. You can sit down and play without having "a show" and make great music. If the show were everything then tiesto really would be the greatest dj in the world. I don't judge music with my eyes.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:07 am

That was really dull both to my ears (most importantly) and to my eyes. At least they are doing musical work rather than the arythmic noise some people think of as electronica.

My $0.02
Live 8.4.2 / Win 8 Pro 64 bit / Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ / 8 Gb ram
Presonus Firepod / Axiom 49 / PadKontrol
Various guitars, keyboards, sax and friends

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:37 am

why take the time to post negativity

here is a good synth band, that does not act like a bunch of stiffies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvesVKLRvk
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

jedeye

Post by jedeye » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:44 am

it's all about the head nodding
Live 6, Sony Vaio Core Duo t2050, 1 gig Ram, Faderfox Lv2, E-MU 0404 external SC, Oxygen 8 keyboard, Kore, Komplete 4 .Korg Legacy.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:02 am

when i play live i tell everyone to turn their backs on me, and concentrate on each other. I also tell them if i see one fucker looking at me i will power down and leave. makes for a fun evening

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:56 am

Rogue Scrunt wrote:why take the time to post negativity

Heard them a few weeks ago and it was most exellent

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:35 am

the stones!!!!!! hmmmmm.... sounds kind of familiar???

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:12 am

L.M. i'm not trying to argue with you, and actualy i'm not trying to even put these guys 'the stones' down, i'm sure they're all nice people, what I am trying to do is get a better grasp on performance for myself as well as provoke some thought for others in the same situation, if that's not you then that's cool, in my opinion the music comes first, but the performance comes second.

btw the conductor not only performs for the audience but for the musicians too, classical music is all about feeling, passion and performance, but maybe that's just how i see it.
Last edited by EgAD on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patch

Post by Patch » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:16 am

That was the biggest pile of donkey poop I've ever seen.
leisuremuffin wrote:look, the point i'm making is that no one goes to a symphony to watch the musicians, it's boring.
Bad analogy, homes. Players in an Orchestra are PASSIONATE about what they are doing - you can pick out any single player and watch 'em FEEL what they are doing...

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:04 pm

why on earth would you though? and how is that more entertaining than watching someone passionate about what they are doing manipulate their controllers for a laptop?

The musician is just siting there playing their instrument. They aren't up on their feet dancing around or throwing their hands in the air during rests. They aren't wearing costumes, there are no pyrotechnics or video (well most of the time, last symphony i saw had film on skrims in front of and behind the stage.) They are honestly doing only what they need to do to perform their part of the piece.

what i am saying is that there is nothing wrong with a musician just playing in earnest.

i guess i should have told you what i do when i go to classical music, or any sit down performance. I close my eyes.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:11 pm

And how is this performance better, except that the song is much better and they're head bopping?

Ken

pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:12 pm

kenporter wrote:

And how is this performance better, except that the song is much better and they're head bopping?

Ken
are you being sarcastic or ironic or something (a good assumption to make on these boards, lol) , because your post absolutely makes no sense.

well you just gave the two most compelling reasons. The song is better (not that it is great, but at least there is a song, not just a bass & drum sample that sombody is crapping over). Thats the most important thing. That leads to the band rocking out a little harder because they are honestly feeling what they are doing. The thing that I really liked is that there was a real live drummer & guitarist. Because the worst thing electronic music can do to groove based music is eliminate the acoustic musician, esp drummer, one of whom started this whole thing we call music with a stick and a rock millions of years ago.

You have to understand that there is a distinction between classical music and groove based music. They are totally different genres that require different things of the performers and different standards by which you'd judge them. Ambient and some electronic music may very well fall fully into the classical category or even blur the lines.

Yeah, I'll close my eyes listening to classical and it doesn't really matter what the performer looks like or does, except that they be confident and in control of the technical stuff they are doing. But the groove based musician better be obviously grooving.

If you are performing groove based music (from traditional african, cuba, brazilian music to rap & reggae) you'd better be feeling the music and your ensemble should be collectively grooving, and this will all be visibly obvious. The vibe will be infectious within the group making the groove locked and will translate to the audience making the music undeniable.
Last edited by pabloaugustus on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:40 pm

your joking right?that is the worse crap ive ever heard.ever.

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 am

yawn
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.